Mr. 856

Custom bench seat sulky project

shallowwatersailor

This one looks like your's Mr. 856..

IMG_20140526_110231_zpsmjaboqxl.jpg

That is a Bolens sulky. The Gravely sulky has the seat support angled the opposite direction. Still nice!

• Like 1

Mr. 856

Update: Spent some time over the weekend getting the wood cut to size, holes drilled and countersunk. Ordered and received the hardware today. Went stainless on all socket flatheads, nuts and washers and also the washers for the wheel shafts. Got the wood stained last night and put the first coat of urethane on them this evening. Time will allow me to get the other two coats on over the next few nights. I like to let it cure approx. 24 ours before sanding and then recoating. I will go three coats using an outdoor water/uv resistant urethane. Used this stuff on some wood on a sled and it flows out nicely and seems to hold up pretty well. This wont sit outside anyways so that should help its longevity. I will take some pictures after I the final stage of urethane. Right now the wood seems to be really sucking it up........might have to go a few more then three coats. We shall see. Im not a wood expert but I believe the wood is teak and or cedar. The outside had softened due to age and exposure but sanded up very nicely to a nice solid wood. Not super heavy as far as weight but hard unlike say pine. Should have taken some before stain pictures and maybe one of you guys would know. Will get some pictures up in a few days.

Mr. 856

ok I fibbed.......here is a few pictures. I know some of you guys like pictures.

The hardware. I have been ordering from boltdepot.com and have to say i have been happy with them. Orders ship quickly, are neatly boxed. All hardware comes bagged, labeled, even with your order #. Granted they are a state over so for me its just a few days from the time i order until it arrives. Check them out.

post-9448-0-52228600-1420510837_thumb.jp

Stain and first coat of urethane drying. Got some elbow grease to do before they are done.

post-9448-0-10971600-1420510844_thumb.jp

Hanging out

post-9448-0-57565000-1420510849_thumb.jp

Mr. 856

Sanded and 2nd coat of urethane on. Looking better but the wood is really sucking this stuff up causing  patching during curing. Hopefully I can get it to build up enough to smooth out.

Mr. 856

Got the wood done during the week. Three nights in a row I sanded all the pieces by hand with 220, wiped with tack cloth and urethaned. I like the aged look with the shine. Good enough for the project and happy to be using the original wood from the swing. The center holes are the original holes and show there wear but the outer holes are all new. Going to try and get the seat frame done today with the extra supports welded in.

post-9448-0-56697000-1420900060_thumb.jp

post-9448-0-46160100-1420900067_thumb.jp

post-9448-0-16875800-1420900074_thumb.jp

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Nicely done...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

no splinters happening there. 

Mr. 856

No splinters for the kids. :) What is the opinion on some cushions? my mum is awesome at that kind of stuff. I prefer the wood to be the star but a cushions would certainly make for a nicer ride for the riders. I also need to consider a seat belt of sorts I think for my kid. at only 20 months he "squirmy" and I would hate to have any mishaps. Might have to barrow the spare one from his red rider wagon. :)

Mr. 856

Despite the neck issues I have been plugging away at this project slowly but surely. I managed to get the axle/base sanded, primed and painted. Hope to wrap up the rest of it this weekend. On a side note the Brown Truck delivered these today. New pair of shoes for the 856. After going back and fourth between these and ag's I pulled the trigger on these and better yet they were a present from Santa!!!

post-9448-0-82269000-1421721659_thumb.jp

post-9448-0-99773500-1421721665_thumb.jp

post-9448-0-69441400-1421721671_thumb.jp

Edited by Mr. 856
  • Like 5

Fun Engineer

You will love those HDAPs.

The sulky is looking good.

Sent from my tractor seat.

• Like 1