Sign in to follow this  
combatmp29r

New trans for the V18

combatmp29r

Here a couple pics of the transaxle for the V18. I used a later commando actually a 73 8hp 3 spd rear end. Then I put 70 charger axles on it. They use heavier hubs than the commandos. The charger hubs are like all the rest of the rear hubs I've seen with the threaded holes for the lug bolts. The commandos have a 1/8" thick hub welded to the axle with wheel studs like a truck or car. I also added 1 1/2"- 7/16x20 bolts for wheel studs. The 1970 Charger V8 parts manual actually lists them as a standard part. Now why didn't any of mine come with them? It would have saved some cussing as I mounted and un mouted the 95 lb a piece loaded rear tires on the V18 during fabrication

Heres the trans cleaned and pinted with the stock axles.

CommandoV18newtrans.jpg

And 2 of the axles all shiny with the heavier hubs and wheel studs

tractor112.jpg

tractor114.jpg

T-Mo

Looks nice, Joel. So, the Chargers have heavier axle than the Commandos? Still, something new I learn today. I know my JD210 has the hubs with the threaded holes in them. I haven't torn into any of my two WH's yet to know what they have.

combatmp29r

The axles them selves are 1" on both, but the chargers have the hubs you see above. The commando hub is just an 1/8" plate welded to the axle with 7/16-20 studs tack welded into it. Not sure why they did it that way, if you ask me I'd think the gear driven commandos would apply mor pressure on the hubs than the hydros. When I pull the 6x12s off the back of the V18 mock up I'll take a couple pics of the other hubs.