mrc

paint question

mrc

hello men,  for those of you that use automotive type of paint and a real spray gun to paint your wheelhorses i have some questions.  what brand of paint? where do you buy i? what kind of paint is it?  (i.e. enamel, acrylic enamel, acrylic urethane?)  any all advice is welcome.  thank you.  mike in mass.

rmaynard

I use PPG Shop-Line, acrylic urethane or acrylic enamel. I purchase it directly from a PPG jobber in my area. Wheel Horse Red is on their color pallet in the Shop-Line or Omni series.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I just bought a gallon of Valspar IH red tractor and implement paint. Never used it before. I have read about it a few times over the past year. Some seem to really like it. This will be for the 500 special I am redoing. It will be applied with a hvlp spray gun. What to cut it with and addatives applied to it? I dont know yet. I havent looked that far into the future. Good thread, good question. Will be following along.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

squonk

Use any paint but Tractor supply's Majic! 

• Like 2

rmaynard

Most alkyd paints (oil based) need a hardener to be mixed with them. Otherwise, they can take as much as 30 days to cure. Even with a hardener they take hours to dry. That is why I spend the extra money and use acrylics which are dry in minutes and cured in hours.

However, one serious word of caution. The activators used in acrylics, and the hardeners used in oil paints are extremely dangerous if breathed. Use proper protection when spraying any paint. The effects may not be immediately evident, but long term damage to your lungs and nervous system is possible. This goes for rattle cans as well.

My rule of thumb is, if you can smell it, you are breathing it.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 4

illinilefttackle

Your paint choice depends on your resources, skill level and ultimate use of the Tractor. I used Strictly Rustoleum paint from Walmart- $3 or so a can- Red Oxide Primer- and "SUNRISE RED" final paint- although as it has been said- oil based paints take longer to dry. But- that said- they work fine if it fits into your plans, etc.

tractor-red010.jpg

finishedtractor008.jpg

finishedtractor014.jpg

finishedtractor007.jpg

Thanks- Al

• Like 3

Live4outdoors

I have used the enamel implement paint by van sickle and believe it or not I spray it on with the preval spray system and it lays a beautiful pattern w/o the expense and cleanup of the professional equipment....now to be fully honest I do have a friend I get to spray the hoods and fenders that has an auto body shop...cause I'm chicken but gaining my confidence. That being said he is switching me to acrylic enamel for my 635 if I ever get my economy done, for the simple fact it is a stronger better paint that is more oil and gas resistant than enamel implement paint BUT is 125 a gallon vrs 40...so really it's all in what you want to spend to. Hope this all helps

• Like 1

Live4outdoors

Use any paint but Tractor supply's Majic!

Listen to this post my dad had fits on his big tractor, he was buying their Valspar which was awesome then they switched to this garbage mentioned!

prondzy

Its not "automotive" paint but we have recently switched to Sherwin Williams Sher-kem in international red. It's a high gloss enamel. Easy to use and get. Very hard finish.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Its not "automotive" paint but we have recently switched to Sherwin Williams Sher-kem in international red. It's a high gloss enamel. Easy to use and get. Very hard finish.

Spray gun application? I guess yes.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

prondzy

Yes Glenn we use the harbor freight hvlp guns.

• Like 1

Red Steven

A paint job depends a few variables. How good the prep work is, air temperature and humidity and of course your skills at painting.  I've seen good jobs with rattle cans a terrible job with spray guns and visa versa. 

I have used IH Red, Massey Ferguson Red and a few others.  I kind of like the Massey Red myself.  The Sunrise Red is ok but kind of bright.  I'm also like to use ivory white for the wheels.