doc724

Snowblower electric chute rotation

doc724

Well, John (saltwatersailor) has had such great success with his snowblower electric deflector system, it got me to thinking.  Why can't we come up with a system to motorize the chute rotation.  Those linear actuators have a worm gear inside them and the snow blowers (at least the newer ones) already have a worm gear on them, so logically all that should be needed is a 12vdc, electrically reversible motor, a coupling to attach it to the shaft that is already there, and a suitable mounting means.  It is about 13 turns of the worm to rotate the chute from full right to full left, so a 60 rpm motor should get the full chute rotation in 15 seconds.  A slightly faster motor rpm (say 100 rpm) will do it in about 8 seconds.  I have to go out and measure the breakaway torque to get the chute to move.  Electrically reversible motors are available for $60 and electric seat motors are under $20 (surplus/used).   I did see where someone on RS used a window lift motor.  The other question is will I really need sensors at either end of the chute rotation to cut out the voltage to the motor.  I am thinking not as there is visual feedback to the operator on chute position.

So, two questions: 

1.  Is this analysis over simplified.

2.  Has anyone else tried this idea.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

If you use a low-torque motor you wouldn't need to worry about the limit switch at the ends (if you arent watching or something).

With a window motor you may have enough torque to damage something.

If you can find it surplus, you would be even better off to find something with an electric brake on it. That way when you let off the switch the chute doesnt try to 'coast' if you are using the faster motors.

Or there are stepper motors, which would accurately position but be way too complicated to control for the application...

shallowwatersailor

I think that there is enough friction that it wouldn't be a problem with overrunning the spot required. My problem with not motorizing the rotation was not being able to weld. I wouldn't mind it though. I think the weight loading is greater on rotating the chute than moving the deflector.

With the OTC cab for the 5xi, a new rod (#18) and a new support for the crank are required for clearance purposes on the side panels. After trying to remove the chute gear worm and the universal to be installed on the longer rod from OTC, I almost gave up because the roll pins were so difficult to get out. With that, I did find a motor on eBay that had a shaft that the universal would have accepted as is plus it had two different rotational speed depending which wires were connected. At that point I thought that it might be easier to get a bracket fabricated! A bigger hammer (always the answer! :handgestures-thumbupright: ) prevailed and I was able to remove them and reinstall the new rod. But I might revisit it for next year's improvements.

It seems to me that there may be a market for someone to fabricate a mount for a motor. Taking a quick look at the blowup parts list for the Single-Stage, the chute rotation bracket is the same from the 06-42ST07-on. That includes the 79360 and 79362. The 5xi shows a different number probably because mechanism  is on the left side. The good thing is there wasn't a change during the production of the 5xi snowthrower. I didn't check the two-stage parts for commonality. It might be similar.

woodchuckfarmer

I used a wiper motor

Xearl

My idea is to use a drill driver .  Use low speed . The only things for me to consider would be the location of the reverse switch and making a mounting bracket . The nice things are no wires and the speed is controlled by the trigger . What do you think ??

shallowwatersailor

My idea is to use a drill driver .  Use low speed . The only things for me to consider would be the location of the reverse switch and making a mounting bracket . The nice things are no wires and the speed is controlled by the trigger . What do you think ??

I remember reading something similar on another tractor forum. The idea there was mounting the drill by the chute and wiring it into the tractor electrical system for power and replacing the trigger for direction. The advantage to a drill is that it already has a clutch.

bubbacola

I got a gear reduction motor from surplus supply. It was revesable so I can use a electric lift switch.. Used the cable on the chute.. Been on for three year 

Xearl

Do you have any pictures ?

Rick_in_CT

Don,
I added a chute rotator to my Kubota blower using a power window motor.  These motors work well because the don't burn up when you get to the end of rotation in either direction.  Consider that you can hold your cars power window button with the window all the way up or down with no ill effect.  I also have a linear actuator for the chute deflector.  I made the control box with two rocker switches.  The horizontal switch is the chute rotator, vertical is the chute deflector.  Last winter was my first with the chute rotator and it worked great.  I had a linear actuator on my wheel horse for a number of years and never had a problem with it, so I put one on the Kubota.  Let me know if you need any more detail.  Here are some pictures of my install.   

Rick

Snow blower chute controller 2.jpg

Snow blower chute controller.jpg

Snow blower linear actuator.jpg

Snow blower rotator 1.jpg

Snow blower rotator 2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WNYPCRepair

Don,
I added a chute rotator to my Kubota blower using a power window motor.  These motors work well because the don't burn up when you get to the end of rotation in either direction.  Consider that you can hold your cars power window button with the window all the way up or down with no ill effect.  I also have a linear actuator for the chute deflector.  I made the control box with two rocker switches.  The horizontal switch is the chute rotator, vertical is the chute deflector.  Last winter was my first with the chute rotator and it worked great.  I had a linear actuator on my wheel horse for a number of years and never had a problem with it, so I put one on the Kubota.  Let me know if you need any more detail.  Here are some pictures of my install.   

Rick

Snow blower chute controller 2.jpg

Snow blower chute controller.jpg

Snow blower linear actuator.jpg

Snow blower rotator 1.jpg

Snow blower rotator 2.jpg

Looks like it was built that way from the factory. Nice work.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Rick, is that a two-speed motor? It looks like a motor on eBay that I bookmarked that has the option of 35 rpm or 50 rpm. It also has the black motor case like yours.

I'm thinking of doing some additional upgrades to my snowthrower for this season. I've got too much time on my hands being laid up with the ankle! :sad-bored:

• Thin stainless steel liners (18-20 gauge) on the auger housing and chute. I figure that it can be pop riveted in place with SS pop rivets.
  • Roller bearings on the chute rim. I saw this on a JD blower so it might work.
  • Rubber paddle on the center join of the auger.

Rick_in_CT

John,
No, the power window motor I used is single speed.  It is ACI 83394.  I see it is currently $30.24 on Amazon, and $48 at Autozone.  There is a left hand and right hand version, depending which way you want the gear case to face.  The mirror image was part number 83395.  I have mine hooked up with a 20amp fuse in the circuit.  Anything under a 20a fuse would blow.

Rick

Xearl

Rick , What a great job.  I was thinking of something really simple  like a Makita  or DeWalt  12v drill  driver .  They have torque settings and the speed is controlled by the trigger .  I would replace the crank rod  section  with a straight rod . Tighten the chuck on the rod . Ready to go .

doc724

Rick, thx, nice install.  I had considered a window motor but was also looking at other small DC motors that were geared down to the appropriate RPM.  I have misplaced my calculations but I calculated the torque and RPM needed to rotate the chute.  Somewhere, I recall it was 3 RPM and 7 inch ounces of torque to overcome the "stiction" of the cold grease on the chute.  I don't have as much time on my hands as John, but summertime is the time to work on this :-)

LRE

I hope this will upload