ericj

hard starting 93 520-H

ericj

last summer i traded for a 520. i wanted a 520 for a dedicated snow blower tractor for my 2 stage blower and hopefully ad a cab to it down the road. i was told when i got it that it possibly had a bad trigger on it. my friend that i got it from took as a trade in and hadn't fooled with it. the po had taken it to another dealer and they told the po that it needed a trigger other things and wasn't worth fixing. i thought i was told the coil had been replaced but don't remember for sure. any way i brought it home and cleaned the carb and checked the trigger, it checked out ok so i proceeded to get it fired up and added my 2 stage blower. it ran okay but not great and started harder then i would have liked to have had. i changed the spark plugs out and that helped but didn't correct the hard start especially when cold. when cold you would have to crank and crank on it to get it started. i tried several different things to get it started like spraying carb cleaner in it and nothing helped, finally last sat i tried to start it and almost gave up. i needed to carry a heavy motor out of the back of the shed and the dang thing wouldn't start. :banghead:​  i walked away and got another tractor and cart to help hall the motor to my truck and decided to try one more time and luckily it did start. it always would start after the first cold start and it had some stumble when throttling up around mid range rpms. i was so disgusted i was ready to swap motors on it. :angry-cussingwhite:  so i talked to my friend who i got it from and he suggested plug wires and check the coil. i replaced the wires last night and still no start. so i found a used coil that i had laying around and hooked it up and  :woohoo:  it fired right up. i just went out to the shed and tried it again and it fired right up. so i think i fixed it for now till something else goes lol :laughing-rofl: . so i thought i would share my experience with everyone else and hopefully help somebody else out of a jam since this is my blower tractor i needed to be able to depend on it and i wasn't sure that i could till now. so now i feel a lot better  :happy-bouncymulticolor:

eric j   

post-4375-0-48703200-1418958855_thumb.jp

post-4375-0-53341400-1418958879_thumb.jp

post-4375-0-18797200-1418958914_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Geno

Nice to know the symptoms and fix, thanks Eric.  :)

• Like 1

baerpath

:teasing-poke:

Theroundhousernr

Ditto to what Geno said. At first I thought this was the tractor you traded my friends brother for. That one ran nice. Might not have looked the best but it ran nice. Where in the line up is that one?

Kyle

• Like 1

ericj

Ditto to what Geno said. At first I thought this was the tractor you traded my friends brother for. That one ran nice. Might not have looked the best but it ran nice. Where in the line up is that one?

Kyle

that one is my cousins tractor. i made a deal with him he gets the motor and i get the tractor. i've got a project in mind that i want to some day build and plan on using the gauges and wiring harness  for that build. but until he needs the motor or i do the build i'm keeping the tractor together and use it how ever i can.pull the cart was going to put my single stage blower on it till i realized it had no head lights. i do need to switch out that muffler though

eric j