Sign in to follow this  
Brian1045

Got the bill for the rebuild

Brian1045

Well,

I bit the bullet. :USA: We have a local certified kohler guy here in my home town. I've known him for a long time and he does awesome work on any kind of lawn mower, garden tractor, etc.

I took my 10hp off my 1045 for a complete rebuild. I've heard these things can get really expensive.

He's sending the crank off to be turned and replacing everything with Kohler parts, no after market stuff. Rebuilding carb, new coil, points...everything.

He asked me if I wanted to stick with Kohler or go with after market parts,(cheaper) so I said Kohler. The motor will be ready by the end of December.

The total bill will be $820.00

I didn't think that was to bad considering all I have to do is re-mount it to the tractor. Then hopefully off I go! :horseplay:

Any thoughts? :banghead:

T-Mo

Makes my $256 K301 rebuild sound cheap! :banghead: But, a friend ordered the parts and did the machine work at his machine shop. All I paid him was for the parts and he gave me a great price on the machine work. I did the disassembly and reassembly myself. :USA:

KyBlue

how hard is it to do the assembly and reassembly??/ I can do the bigger motors - got all those snazzy tools...

jusjeepn

Scott If you can do the big ones, you can do the little ones! Piece a cake. Follow the manual, check all your tolerances, double check all your torques and you'll be good. As with all engines, each one has it's quirks and tricks, but you won't learn those until you build em. I've done so many briggs they're just automatic. Tecumseh's a breeze (except'n the carbs :omg: ). Kohler's are just so user friendly and easily understood. I think everyone should try it just once. If not your horses heart, then try and old push mower. The only thing you have to lose is time :thumbs: . Parts are cheap compared to a good self educated job well done. I encourage you to give it a try adn just enjoy it :USA: . Besides, there is a wealth of help and knowledge right here, just waiting to be of help if you need it! :banghead:

HorseFixer

Brian, Thats prolly the going rate for 10hp and a turn key job!

Duke

BairleaFarm

If you dont mind me asking what was the labor charge on that? The good thing at that price is you know you have a professional job and is probably better than new.

Brian1045

I don't have the labor charge break-down yet. I'm guessing half the money is for labor. I'm heading down towards his place in a couple of days. He has my sheet metal off so I can repaint it. I'll ask him then.

big mike

I have a 12hp ready to assemble and I have 500.00 in parts and machine work,maybe a little more.I had the block bored and decked,head decked,valves three angle ground and crank turned.Parts are from NAPA except the rings.....they are from Total Seal :banghead:

Your number sounds good for a complete job.

htopjimmy26

When I did the 14hp k321 off the C141 in my sig it was about 500$ for just the parts, The machine work was cheap I can't remember exactly but I was very pleased. Also please remember when talking prices that rebuild means different things to different people and I went completely through my engine from a .020 overbore, .020 grind on the crank, k341 2-color rod [heat treated on both ends], Updated balance gears [work nice, smoooooth], new piston, gaskets, carb rebuild, new crank bearings [35$ ea!!!], etc. I could have spent even more and bought a new governeur gear and cam. I just goes without saying that the sky is the limit with stuff like this, but for the 28 years of service that this engine already gave I consider it well worth it to invest now for maybe another 14-20 years? :banghead:

htopjimmy26

Ooooops. :banghead: I think crank was .010 grind, and I had a valve job done 2. :USA:

big mike

Unless you have a cast iron governor gear it would be a good investment to put a new one in.The plastic gears are ok but if it has any discoloration at all I replace them.

noncritical

im thinking about going diesel $600. 12 hp delivered to my doorstep

WheelHorse_of_course

im thinking about going diesel $600. 12 hp delivered to my doorstep

Repowering can be cool, but you do get yourself into a nuther can of worms (so to speak).

Should be fun and of course diesel adds a wow factor :hide: :D

jerrell

:D :hide: i went to HF yesterday and bought me a new welder a cheapie, and they had the 13.5 hp electric start on sale for 199.00, usually a very lot higher , has any one tried one of these, ???