motor12

moving out of garage

motor12

Like most people living in neighborhoods where work space is limited, and half of a two car garage is about all the space you have. It's difficult when you have to move stuff around to get the wife's car undercover when it's about to storm (hail). I am having a 12ft by16ft work shop built behind my house, per our deed restrictions 200 sq. ft is as big as I can go. Going to have a Wheel Horse theme shop. At least I won't have move stuff around to bring in a car. Can't wait. 

• Like 9

Molon_Labe

That is awesome! The only alternative would be sell the wife to slave traders for full use of the garage :ychain: A man can never have enough garage space!

Edited by M_Bailey
  • Like 5

rmaynard

This has been my problem since 2009 when I started taking the Wheel Horse addiction seriously. My wife has given me her side of the garage from December to April every year since. This year I promised her that it would not happen. So far so good. So I am cleaning my side today, trying to figure what to do with a 5 ft. wide table saw, a jointer/planer, and a thickness planer. None of which I use anymore but can't bear to part with.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 5

Geno

Good deal Motor, gonna show us pics as it happens?   :)

• Like 3

C-101plowerpower

I too feel your pain, i only have a small 1 car garage i have to work in

• Like 2

speedyleedy

Can't wait to see it when your done with it !

AMC RULES

I too feel your pain, i only have a small 1 car garage i have to work in

:eusa-doh:  Ditto...what Koen said.  

post-3498-0-45772800-1418683272_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Wishin4a416

It seems like there is never enough room.

motor12

holy cow, did not know so many were in the same boat as myself. Guess I'm lucky to be moving into a 12 x 16 shop. I will post photos....

• Like 2

Firpo701

I've been working out of an 8 x 8 shed for the past two years! Yeesh! Hopefully we'll be moving next month. Found a place with a 10 x 12 outbuilding and one and a half car garage! The Mrs has been saying the same thing about putting the car in there. I said if we do, I'm going to rattle can it regal red with linen beige wheels....and I wasn't joking! :-P

• Like 3

KC9KAS

holy cow, did not know so many were in the same boat as myself. Guess I'm lucky to be moving into a 12 x 16 shop. I will post photos....

How many 200 sq ft buildings can you put on your lot?

motor12

How many 200 sq ft buildings can you put on your lot?

One per home, does not include detached garage. Anything larger than 200 sq ft  you are subject to permits and location on your building lot. The only permit I need is for the electric and it has to be inspected by the city.

MalMac

Seems like the Ponds had the same trouble. Garage just got too small for them. I believe they moved to bigger one a time or two.

• Like 3

312Hydro

Like most people living in neighborhoods where work space is limited, and half of a two car garage is about all the space you have. It's difficult when you have to move stuff around to get the wife's car undercover when it's about to storm (hail). I am having a 12ft by16ft work shop built behind my house, per our deed restrictions 200 sq. ft is as big as I can go. Going to have a Wheel Horse theme shop. At least I won't have move stuff around to bring in a car. Can't wait

Two possible options for you- Put in a full basement with foundation or a gambrel roof ( Dutch Barn) with pull down stairs for second floor storage without the living space. Or both. I don't think either one would count against your square footage.

Edited by 312Hydro

Mr. 856

I went 12x20 thinking this would be plenty "man space"..............................that was a year ago. Now its storage for all the toys my in laws have bought my son that he is to young to even play with! I have a 8' long mustang taking up valuable space and he it still 16"s away from the pedals. If you don't have kids your safe and if your wife doesn't like going outside your safe.

motor12

Seems like the Ponds had the same trouble. Garage just got too small for them. I believe they moved to bigger one a time or two.

That is correct, never looked at it like that. Kinda like introducing my 854 to his roots...

groundhog47

Just got my 30'x24' inspected today and finished a pull beam back from rollup door. Have been sneakin in parts and chompin at the bit to start some work, not knowing how inspection would turn out. Have been working out of just the back yard storing parts and WH where they'd fit.

My first one was 12'x16' and worked well till I packed so full couldn't move; then a tree fell on it and city made me tear it down. You will enjoy yours when finished and have a nice place to work/store goodies :handgestures-thumbup:  

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 2

wheel-mule

I must have it worse or better than most,depending on your point of veiw.I have a 2 car garage full and you can hardly see the floor ,a 12x16 & 8x12 shed full my new 36x48 pole barn full .with 15 or so setting out side. I need to organize some than I can get more inside,or make my wife happy and sell some.But I don't see that happening.

groundhog47

I must have it worse or better than most,depending on your point of veiw.I have a 2 car garage full and you can hardly see the floor ,a 12x16 & 8x12 shed full my new 36x48 pole barn full .with 15 or so setting out side. I need to organize some than I can get more inside,or make my wife happy and sell some.But I don't see that happening.

I'd go for the better, you can always sell or give away, but some of our "stuff" is like gold nowadays. Ask wife if she'll photo them and sell for ya! Mine hasn't popped on that yet even though we talk about it! Ain't you glad them pickers don't come by :greetings-clappingorange:   

Racinbob

I guess Deltona isn't the only place with stupid restrictions. The max size here is 120 square feet without matching the facade of the house. But you are allowed two of those. I asked them why I couldn't just build one 240 foot building. They said sure.....if I match the house. It was a nightmare to build. Two sets of stamped plans required to get a permit. That was a problem because I don't use plans for that type of project. Hurricane fasteners out the ying-yang, inspections, etc. I should have just moved. Downsizing from a 3152 square foot building to what I have here has been a trip. :sad:

Horse46

A man can never have enough space or toys IMHO

I moved two years ago, I have a single garage space but it was full before the WH came along, I've kicked over pots of thinners, paint and broken two coffee mugs so far.

I do love a good workshop build though. :-)

AJ_Thanatos

Same here. One small garage..  :banghead:

post-13750-0-10224400-1418757782_thumb.j

MalMac

I don't disagree with having a small shop is a big PITA. I don't want anybody to get mislead that having a bigger shop is best. I have a two car garage and a 10x16 shed full. Now the kicker is 5 years ago I built a 30x60 barn with two lofts in it and preceded to fill that up. The moral of the story, the more room you have the more STUFF you will cram in there putting yourself right back in the same situation. Out of room and trying to explain to the wife why. Those wives have built in radar when it comes to this, so don't even try to ask for more room for more Red stuff.

• Like 5

km3h

I built a 28 by 16 shop about five yers ago. Simply put, it is just too small for my needs. I have been toying with the idea of making it larger and that is probably what I will do. If I add another 8 ft to it I am sure it will still be too small.

• Like 4