Dkphillips

Body fillers

Dkphillips

I would like to know what kinds of body fillers you guys use for the best painting results. Getting ready to work on the hood and deck of my 1967 Lawn Ranger and do not want to have to redo things do to using the wrong products. Thanks for any info.

rmaynard

I use Evercoat Rage Gold Lightweight Body Filler 112, and Icing polyester finishing putty.

Mr. 856

You doing rust repairs or dents? I've messed with the POR-15 stuff a bit with decent results. I really dislike doing body work.

Dkphillips

I am repairing mostly holes from rust or thin metal on the mower deck. Some hood repair but nothing too bad. Thanks for your information.

Horse'n Around

I agree with Bob, Evercoat Gold. In 30 years of doing bodywork it is by far my favorite.

• Like 1

Mr. 856

If you've got rust issues then POR-15 is something you may want to consider. It will put the rust in its tracks then you can get the filler in on top. POR-15 coating is no joke tough as nails.

gregg'shorses

If you've got rust issues then POR-15 is something you may want to consider. It will put the rust in its tracks then you can get the filler in on top. POR-15 coating is no joke tough as nails.

Just don't get it on your hands, Don't ask me how I know.

Ken B

I agree with those who said not to use filler on rust hole's etc. You also need to eliminate the rust PERIOD or overtime your body work will lift. I do use the same filler Bob uses.. These type fillers sand very easy, careful you don't use too coarse of a paper or you will easily get fine sanding scratches you won't be able to see with the naked eye, you'll see them when you put the color coat down though and by then its a little late. Make sure to use a good filler primer. You don't need to buy the best products that money can buy to get excellent results, good products will do. Most of it is in the prep work, rush the prep work and I don't care what product you use, the results will always be the same. Take your time and make sure everything is perfect before you lay the color down...

• Like 3

rmaynard

:text-yeahthat:  From my own experience, I know that if you don't completely eliminate it, it will come back.

GT14

USC all metal..........Rust never sleeps

• Like 1

KyBlue

I've been back and forth a few times, to post or not ... to put it simply I just really dont want to see this turn into a big argument ... but here's my two cents ....

Bondo, or any plastic filler, is NOT, I repeat NOT, designed to fill HOLES! Thats right folks ... it isnt meant to fill pinholes in Rusty Metal. Period. Plastic Filler is meant to be used to fix small imperfections in sheet metal (though it does work just as well on thicker things like grinding marks on frames) as long as it is kept to a maximum thickness of a dime.  Plastic filler will not last if you use it on parts that see a lot of heat cycles, like the hood of a car over the engine, or say the hoods of our tractors over the hot motors. If you can't lay your hand on it, there's a good chance it won't last.

A Better choice for filling holes, is to treat the rust with a converter and use the before mentioned USC AllMetal. Available in the same isle as your plastic filler, mixes very similarly, goes on the similarly. The difference is how hard it gets, and how thick it can be put on ...

The other option would be to use lead - while i wouldn't suggest using it to fill holes, it will work well on the area's that see heat cycles, and high abuse area's...

• Like 1

Racinbob

Interesting thread but my head is spinning. I have VERY little experience with body fillers and there's so many different ones to choose from. I don't need much on my Suburban hood and I'm trying to decide what to use. The area is roughly 7" x 12" on the top from the front seam back on the raised portion. I'm liking what I've read about the Evercoat 112 but I hate to purchase a gallon. Not because of the cost as much as I just hate to use the little bit I need and then have it sit on a shelf forever. Has anyone tried Evercoat Quantum 1 491? The metal is nice and clean and I'll carefully tap it as flat as possible but I know I'll need something to fine tune it.

• Like 1

KyBlue

I'd say go for it ... Just be sure to double check for any small pinholes in the bondo before you prime over top of it ... those will need to be filled with another coat ...

Something you might consider is something like this ...

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/evercoat-easy-sand-p-10963.aspx

Mixes the same as regular plastic filler, goes on the same, but it's a creamier filler, usually has almost no pinholes - sands great ... and its available in a smaller container.

rmaynard

Evercote Rage Premium 105 comes in quarts. It's about $20.00 That's also a good product. I used that one about 4 years ago on my B-100, then was given a partial gallon can of Gold. Truth be told, I don't see any difference.