km3h

HOW DO YOU WINTERIZE YOUR TRACTOR?

km3h

For many, the time to winterize has long past. I let the time slip by and am only now getting around to doing it now.

I would like to see how many different ways our member do this each year and what products if any they use.

• Like 2

Geno

I don't do anything, never have.  Dad takes the battery off of his and puts it somewhere warm, but that's it for him.  :)

• Like 1

Tankman

Deck off, clean, paint, grease, new belt.

Engine oil change, trans fluid change, air cleaner, fuel filter, gas tank full. I run the tractor(s) a little each week or two.

Snow blades on, wheel weights, check chains. Chains 'n binders ready if needed. 

Check drive belt, keep one in stock always, belt dressing.

Clean up includes wax (a little) and tire foam. Grandsons polish the hub caps.   :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

Lagersolut

1) Change oil if it's close to  being due

2) Take the deck off use a putty knife to clean grass out

3) wire wheel and paint the bare/rusty spots underside

4) grease

5 ) Air filter with pre filter

6) Repair anything I find missing or broke

I run all non ethanol gas with Stabil,  a small amount of Marvel Mystery oil - year round, everything gets started and brought up to temp a couple few times through the winter season to keep batteries charged / gas up to carb.

When spring gets here they're ready to roll ,.

Mr. 856

Depends ......I keep up on maintenance on most things I own. Every small engine I own gets seafoam year round. It helps believe me. Ive found in most cases I can put machines away with an extra dose of seafoam in them and be fine come spring. Oil changes are done per hours on my clock so I don't make that a "spring thing". I keep everything lubed from the get go on anything I buy that hasn't been or anything new. A can of spray grease can be your friend. I also will remove in some cases bolt and nuts and neverseize them and reinstall. All new hardware I put on a machine gets that same treatment.

Doing this stuff regularly throughout the year makes it easy as rolling it into the shop for the winter. Oil changes, plugs, etc I do based on engine run time. Some I only run a few times a year. Why put a new plug it in every year? So I go by manufacture hour time if its available.

Edited by Mr. 856
  • Like 2

chip61

I run non-ethanol fuel with stabilizer in mine. I take my batteries and put them on a maintainer and I remove the decks and clean them. This year I removed all the arbors so I can install new bearings-they were getting a little noisy. Mine only set 2-3 months and I try to start them and let them run a while every now and then during that time. I stop really using them late November/early December and I start finding things to do with them in March.

Digger 66

I take the batteries out now , last winter with subzero ambient temperatures cost me three batteries in my toys & Yuasa's ain't cheap .

Tankman

Depends ......I keep up on maintenance on most things I own. Every small engine I own gets seafoam year round. It helps believe me. Ive found in most cases I can put machines away with an extra dose of seafoam in them and be fine come spring. 

Love Seafoam but, I frequently use Berrymans, 1 oz. per gallon in the gas or use Seafoam.

Semi-retired I have lots of time throughout the year to groom and maintain (play with) the herd of wonderful Horses!  :)

km3h

All good ideas. Thanks

KC9KAS

I use the SEAFOAM in my small engines all year long......damn ethanol!

• Like 2

Irv

I blow them off well all over then turn the gas off (at the tank) and let them run till they quit w/a little choking at the end. Then I remove the batteries and store them in the basement so they don't freeze.

• Like 1

MalMac

On the tractors that will not be used for winter duty, I drain all the gas out of tanks then put a very small amount of Seafoam in the tank. Then start the tractor let it run till the line runs empty and uses all the gas up in the carb, I also loosen the gas cap up but leave it just setting on there so the tank can get air so no condensation forms in the tank with up and down temps.. I then pull the battery and power wash the tractor (making sure to stay away from the shifter boot on the manuals). I also take the time to put some Mothers Back to Black on the seat and shifter boot so the vinyl and rubber stays soft through the winter. Make sure tractor is good and dry before being pushed into the storage area of the barn.

rmaynard

Ethanol-free gas, and remove batteries to above freezing location.

Geno

I don't do anything, never have.  Dad takes the battery off of his and puts it somewhere warm, but that's it for him.  :)

I should explain further, that sounds like I don't take care of my horses.  :eusa-doh:    Fluids get changed every spring and blades sharpened before the season hits.  As far as getting ready for Winter there's not much to do.  They stay in the shop where it's climate controlled year round, the entire tractor and the deck gets washed then we use Ice synthetic detailer on it every time it gets used.  That stuff is good for rubber and all.  The only time it has dust on it is while it's mowing, not before, or after.  It's called OCD.  :laughing-rolling:

Mr. 856

There is not one ethanol free gas tank anywhere close to where im at. matter fact I don't believe there may be one within a 50 mile one way drive. Wish there was. There are so many products out there now as far as stabilizers. Ive just been using seafoam from the get go with good results. I try to keep my gas fresh  meaning I only ever keep a 2.5 gallon tank on hand and it gets seafoam right when im filling it at the station. 2.5 gallons doesn't last long if multiple machines are being used. Anyone know of a ethanol free gas station in CT? Near the Mass boarder?

km3h

Speaking of gas, I hear them talking about different blends for summer and winter. Does anyone have an explaination of what that means?  

Geno

Summer-grade fuel has a different RVP (Reid Vapor Pressure) than winter-grade, it keeps the EPA happy...  It costs more also and is part of the reason prices rise around Memorial Day when they switch.  :)

Gasoline must have an RVP below 14.7 PSI (pounds per square inch), which is normal atmospheric pressure; if a fuel's RVP were greater than 14.7 PSI, excess pressure would build up in the gas tank, and the fuel could boil and evaporate. Depending on the part of the country, the EPA's standards mandate an RVP below 9.0 PSI or 7.8 PSI for summer-grade fuel. Some local regulations call for stricter standards. Because of these varying RVP standards, up to 20 different types of boutique fuel blends are sold throughout the U.S. during the summer [source: Slate].

Because RVP standards are higher during the winter, winter-grade fuel uses more butane, with its high RVP of 52 PSI, as an additive. Butane is inexpensive and plentiful, contributing to lower prices. Summer-grade fuel might still use butane, but in lower quantities -- around 2 percent of a blend [source: The Oil Drum].

Does your head hurt yet?    :laughing-rolling:

• Like 3

Molon_Labe

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

Digger 66

Anyone know of a ethanol free gas station in CT? Near the Mass boarder?

GAS

Mr. 856

I see there is one in Vernon that is supposed to have it. Might give them a call and see.

Lagersolut

I see there is one in Vernon that is supposed to have it. Might give them a call and see.

My Non-Ethanol gas run is 30 minutes one way - since the 10% mix has been put on the market I've been adding the appropriate amount of Stabil to my cans and getting 15 gallons a trip which has worked well , haven't had any " gas " issues in any of my stuff, saws , tillers blowers tractors etc.

I think other guys here are making bulk runs too.

AMC RULES

Original topic...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

bring 'em in the house. 

• Like 4

AJ_Thanatos

Original topic...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

bring 'em in the house. 

:text-+1: They double as new toys for the kids in the winter. :ROTF:

post-13750-0-19873300-1418569692_thumb.j

• Like 4

Geno

Awesome AJ!  Can he drive it around the house?  :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

doc724

Geno,

Thx for the great explanation on Reid Vapor Pressure and how it relates to summer and winter gas.  Since you seem to be pretty well versed in this area, can you explain why when the winter gas is changed over, mpg goes down.  Part of it may be that the cars are on high idle during warm up for a longer period of time, but I am thinking that the stuff added to the gas to raise the RVP has a lower energy content. 

• Like 1