Hammerhead

Dragging home this 1930's Doodlebug this Sunday!

Hammerhead

Here's a cool 1930's Ford Doodlebug tractor that I am getting this Sunday! It has a lot of potential for sure. I won't change it a lot but just try to get it operational. I was going to buy this before I got sick earlier in the year but couldn't go get it afterwards. Now that I am getting back to normal I called the old timer to see if he still had it. He said he still has it and was wondering if I still wanted it. We made the deal for the 2nd time and now I can go get it asap! It looks to be a 1930's Ford Model TT 1 and a 1/2 ton truck frame, motor and 4 speed trans. Should be a cool project. Check out the cool distributor among other cool stuff! The owner has a set of front tires, metal seat and a steering wheel too. He also has a rear end for it too but wants another $100 for it. I told him I didn't want the rearend. post-114-0-58479100-1418352891_thumb.jpgpost-114-0-38746600-1418352772_thumb.jpgpost-114-0-13438800-1418352818_thumb.jpg012_zps8886ed10.jpg018_zps055abf4c.jpg

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 8

oliver2-44

That's quite an unusual tractor!

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Is that one of the Toro Doodlebugs that they started out making? That's neat with the seat post.

Terry M

Looks like a nice project.... is this a Doodle bug project the older guy himself started some time ago..??   Just curious.. growing up, my old neighbor had a toro version(or at least thats what he called it) with a snowplow mounted to the front. it said TORO on the front top of the radiator..  Don't know if it was actually made by toro or what, but I guess the local golf courses here used them years ago. Anyway, good luck with it and look forward to seeing it run someday :) .

Edited by Terry M

squonk

Most of the doodles I've seen were converted cars or trucks. Golf course started using them and then Toro, Worthington and Jacobsen and I'm sure others started building them specifically for mowing golf courses. I ran a Jake with a 4 cly Ford ind engine in High school. Thing would do over 45 mph!  :)

Edited by squonk

AMC RULES

Nice one Keith...think I remember...   :eusa-think: 

Jake Kuhn saying they have one too. 

• Like 1

Jim_M

That's a model A engine, AA transmission and front axle. I can't really see the rear end but judging from the wheels, it's an AA rear end too. It probably started life as a Model AA truck on somebody's farm.

Edited by Jim_M
  • Like 1

Geno

Can't wait to see that one run, it's Hammertime for sure!   :banana-dance:

• Like 2

Hammerhead

Yeh I was thinking it is a 1930 Ford Model AA stake truck too. It has a huge rear end under it, not a model T rear end. This is not a Toro version, they came later maybe in the 1950's and 60's. Thanks a lot Jim-M for the parts sources! good idea for sure buddy. I am going to make a barn wood floor for it and maybe make it a little longer than the frame so I could haul stuff on it just for kicks. The barn wood will look cool on it all aged like it is. I may make a double seat for it too, like a bench seat. I would like to get a front cowling off of a Ford Model T or something similar. Most doodlebugs I've seen have part of a body left on it. Thanks for your comments fella's! 

Hammerhead

I added a pic of the huge rear end and one of the front hub showing the Ford grease cap.

Jake Kuhn

Very cool find keith. We have one as well...it is actually a friend of ours, but we've stored it at our place the last 5 years. Here's a post from a few years back with a couple pictures of it. 

Jim_M

Sheet metal from a model t would be way too small but model a sheet metal would be a direct bolt on fit.

elliot ness

Nice find, Enjoy your new toy! :laughing-rofl:  :)  :)  :)  :) :)  :)  

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:  We had a AA much like that when I was a kid. It had double rear wheels and a big concrete slab poured onto the frame for traction. It would tow three hay wagons at a time, but the old mechanical brakes would hardly stop the doodlebug, to say nothing about all that hay! That was in the 50s when a 12 year old could drive farm equipment like that on the roads and no question asked.  :text-lol: 

Hammerhead

Well I sold my 1970 Charger 12 the other day to pay for this doodlebug. I got $700 out of it with a nicely rebuilt mower deck, so I gave my wife $100 and $100 to my buddy who helped me work on the Charger to get it ready to sell. I got the doodlebug for $500 so I think it is worth more than that. I got it home today and sprayed some of it with PB Blaster to start loosening up the stuck

parts. I got some good front tires for it with the deal and they are cool looking old school tires that are hard to find in that

odd size, like 20X6.50. The rims are the old split rim design and it may be hard to get a tire company to swap them for me. Not too

many people want to work on stuff that old and dangerous. I usually list on this site what prices I buy and sell stuff for to give

helpful info to other members. I will try to post more pics tomorrow if possible. This beast just moved to the front of the

wrenching line. I will have to study up on some Ford Model T and AA info.

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Keith, that looks like a FULL PROJECT. Best of luck, cant wait to see it being done.

Glenn

BobW

The Toro "Doodlebug" or "Golf Course" tractors first hit the market in 1931.  They marketed them heavily to golf courses The first Series included an A and a B model. Later Series II, Series III and so on included a number of models with different wheel\length\bed configurations:  "Bullet", "Husky", "Master" "General" and "Park Patrol" 

The early 30's Toro's used Toro wheels and chassis with a Ford engine and a GMC rear end. That strategy of mixing and matching of parts in the early years definitely caused confusion years later in people thinking that these machines were homemade Doodlebugs and not factory units.
Here are some pics of a '31

2015-Foxborough-Founders-Day-2-Parade-0156.jpg

Doodelbug1.jpg

enginebay.jpg

• Like 4

953 nut

:WRS:          That is a sharp looking Toro, love the wheels.                :text-coolphotos: