Red Dave

Separate Lifts 414-8

Red Dave

Has anyone modified the lift on a 414-8 to lift and lower the front blade separately from the rear? Would like to use a front snow blade with a scraper blade on the rear slot hitch with independent controls.

wallfish

Haven't done this but my first thoughts are to make a way to "pin" or "latch" them to stay in the raised position.

Using chain for the front blade vs a solid link and the normal connection with a cable to the rear lift. Modify a way to easily pin or latch them separately in the raised position and this will allow independent use of each one using the one lift lever plus not too many modifications to the tractor.

$0.02

bmsgaffer

You could fab up heavy duty mounts and use a linear actuator (electric lift) for the rear...

can whlvr

heres a pic of a simple lift for the rear,it slides into the 2inch receiver

012.jpg

wh500special

WH actually employed john's idea on the GT-14. They offered little hangers that would hold the mower deck or snow blade in the lifted position while the rear hitch was free to cycle. And, likewise, there was another set for the rear hitch to hold it up while the deck or blade was in use.

Simultaneous multiple implement mounting really wasn't a wh hallmark on tractors not equipped with three point hitches.

A couple short pieces of chain with shackles to hold the unused implement up would be the easiest path.

Deere, Sears, and probably others offered rear hitches with their own integrated manual lifts. I don't know how extensive it would be to do, but you might be able to adapt one of their units to the rear of your tractor to obtain an independent sleeve or integral hitch.

Steve

shallowwatersailor

I put a Johnny Bucket Uni Sleeve Hitch on my 523Dxi this fall so that I can use a plow or snowthrower on the front and a scrape/drag plow on the rear. The 5xi uses a chassis that can mount the JB Uni Sleeve because the rails go all the way to the rear. It will not work on a traditional Wheel Horse.

Red Dave

Thanks for all your replies. I am going to look into the electric linear actuators Northern has a good selection. The rear of the 414-8 under the fender pan has room to fit one in there over the transmission. when I rebuilt the engine I replaced the three amp/ac stator with a 15 amp stator added a regulator and rewired the tractor, added 65 watt headlights and led taillights so it should have enough power for the actuator.

Edited by Red Dave