cgambino1018

312-8 dual stage blower?

cgambino1018

Newbie here. Hello 

I have a 312-8 (1989).  I have found 79360 blowers for $300 but those are single stage.  Is there an option for a dual stage for my WH?  If so what is the model number(s) and what do they run?

Thanks

Chris

PaulC

yes there is but I think they are a bit rare and expensive when you do find one. also ive saw on here that they require more HP. I have 2 312's with single stage blowers and they work great! I think a lot of members on here prefer the single stages. if you go for a single stage get a newer tall chute model with the worm gear for the chute rotation

RMCIII

Chris - your 312 would get better use out of a single stage. Those dual stages really take some HP to turn. I have an 18hp. that I have a single hooked up to. Would not even think about looking for a dual stage. The single works as good as the dual.

Rob

• Like 1

craigbic

I have a single stage on my 314-8 and it works very well and it has the tall chute and worm gear for rotation. I will say that in really heavy wet snow, my chute extension became an issue because the inside had a rusty patch and even after sanding and apply a coat of oil all overt he auger and chute, slush kept clogging up the chute. I took out the extension and it worked fine. I guess I have to sand out and repaint the chute to put it back.

Maybe this is a dumb question but hear goes: because there is no impeller whipping the snow up and out of the chute, what is the benefit to having the taller chute?

cgambino1018

Thanks for the real quick reply.

my understanding is the original model number was 06-42st05 and then it was changed to 79360.  is there a newer model number I should be looking for?

Does the attached pic have the taller chute or shorter chute (just need a reference point for my search). 

Thanks

Chris

post-9222-0-20386500-1417698687.jpg

craigbic

You can see mine in the picture, it's a model 79483

cgambino1018

Thanks,

Now I start the search for the needle in the virtual hay stack.

PaulC

cgambino that is an older short chute model you pictured. I have one of each older short chute with cable for rotation and newer tall chute with worm gear but both of mine now have modified chutes. The short chutes are a lot easier to come by and will be much cheaper and they do work very good. The cable for the chute rotation can be a pain to setup a new one or make adjustments if necessary but once its set it does work well. The shorter chute works well too but does not throw the snow quite as far. The newer models have a adjustable/replaceable scraper edge on them too which is great for concrete/blacktop but if you have a gravel driveway that wouldn't matter. You can easily add one to an older model too like I am going to do to mine.

I think I covered the differences for you so now to pricing. A nice shape everything working older short chute model should go for $150 or so to where a newer tall chute model in the same condition would probably be $300 or more. So that where you would have to decide on if the differences would be worth the extra cost depending on whats available in your area.

One other thing to consider is weather your tractor has manual or hydraulic lift. If it is manual try to find one with the lift assist spring. It will have a tab on the flag that attaches the spring to the tractor. I finally installed one on my manual lift tractor and was blown away by the difference in lifting it now my wife could probably do it.

Hope this helps you and keep us posted on what you end up getting. Whatever model you will love having and using it, so much better then a walk behind.

Good luck Paul

Edited by PaulC

RMCIII

CG and Craig - I have posted this a couple times in the late past, before you may have been members. Here is a single stage, cranking snow like you would not believe. You may have to turn your laptop sideways. Wife was running camera.

Rob

IMG_0384.MOV

Edited by RMCIII

cgambino1018

Thanks everyone for the help