Horse46

Mower deck fitting, have I got this right?

Horse46

I got my new to me mower deck yesterday, and of course I was eager to see how it looks fitted.

My tractor has a tac a matic system and the deck appears to have the correct attachment fitted to the deck. 

What i need to know is apart from the bar that attaches to the front bit, and the lever on the left side of tractor that holds the middle, is there supposed to be anything else, it seems wobbly?

Oh and what is the little twist handle do dah next to the lowering lever, mine isn't connected to anything, and I can't find a picture in the manuals showing where it should go?

Geno

Sounds like you have the deck hooked up right.  Do you have a pic of what you're talking about?  Sounds like it may be the height adjustment. 

craigbic

:banana-gotpics:

Racinbob

As Geno said, it sounds like you're talking about the dial-a-height adjustment. It just limits how far the lift handle travels. Picture would definitely help. :)

Edited by Racinbob

Horse46

I have taken two pictures of the deck fitted, one is hopefully showing the fitting, and the other shows the rear of the deck just incase there is something I have missed.

post-14145-0-90184100-1417714327_thumb.j

post-14145-0-04444000-1417714372_thumb.j

bmsgaffer

You've got it. It should wobble a little as the deck "floats" under the tractor.

If its excessive I would make sure all the bolts on the deck carriage are tight. Also there is a "fork" on the front bar that clips into the attachmatic, make sure that fork is clipped in correctly to the solid attachmatic bar above it. (there should be no rotation of the bar in the attachmatic mount)

Geno

That all looks right.  What is this twist handle do dah you're talking about?  :laughing-rolling:

Horse46

That all looks right.  What is this twist handle do dah you're talking about?  :laughing-rolling:

The little thing to the left of the centre where the gear levers are, its a threaded rod through a wheel type affair. 

Geno

It does the height adjustment for the deck, plow, tiller, etc, whatever is lifted by the handle. 

bmsgaffer

It does the height adjustment for the deck, plow, tiller, etc, whatever is lifted by the handle. 

To be picky: it limits the downward travel of the lift arm. It should not be used to set your mowing height on your deck. (It can cause poor cutting as it does not allow the deck to float as it was designed) That is done with the lever on the rear wheels and then used the silver "L bar" on the back to adjust the deck to be level front to back. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Horse46

Ok whatever its function, is it supposed to attached to something as mine just lifts out. I noticed its L shape at the base, but can see no obvious place for it, except possibly by the big lever, although i can't figure how to get it in there, as it seems there isn't enough room to turn it in. (Hard to explain that one)  

Racinbob

Horse, here's the best picture I could quickly find. If you're talking about the part most of us are thinking this might help. :)

post-8408-0-65406500-1417780427.jpg

Horse46

Thats the do dah Racinbob, and I think I got it sussed today too. It fits into the slot in the disc shaped thing at the bottom of the lowering lever, I'm right aren't I, please tell me I'm right? :happy-bouncygreen:

Horse46

Made for each other :-)

post-14145-0-29768000-1417799961_thumb.j

Racinbob

Well buddy, I'm not sure I can tell you that. The L on the end of the rod doesn't slip into anything. It rides below or you could say in front of the lift arm and limits how far the arm will lower.  Things are going to be under the sheet metal on that model.

Edited by Racinbob

mrocket49

It's been awhile since I've been inside my tractor but I seem to remember that L rod fitting into a slot at the bottom of the lift rod. The adjustment knob is used to limit the depth of the rototiller or the one-bottom plow/cultivator set. It probably also would be used to limit the height of a center-mounted grader blade. it's not for adjusting the mowing height, though. 

mrocket49

I took some pictures of that lift lever and the open slot is where the L- hook attaches.

IMAG0002_zps2dfa40ea.jpg

IMAG0004_zps43e961e1.jpg

Racinbob

There you go :handgestures-thumbsup:

Horse46

Brilliant, rocket49 thanks for the piccy that clears it up nicely, which leads me to another question  :eusa-doh: the bar that the lever is attached to has the arm to pick up the deck, but there is also another one on there as well, that has holes drilled through it. Can u clear up what that is for too?

KyBlue

Brilliant, rocket49 thanks for the piccy that clears it up nicely, which leads me to another question  :eusa-doh: the bar that the lever is attached to has the arm to pick up the deck, but there is also another one on there as well, that has holes drilled through it. Can u clear up what that is for too?

Are you talking about the one on the deck??  Pictures would be a big help for us to help you figure out much faster :)

Horse46

It's piece No.19 the arm not holding piece No.20

also from this drawing I see I also don't have parts 35 and 36 holding 34 in place

post-14145-0-59750500-1418044553_thumb.g

Racinbob

35 and 36 are hardware store items. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking about the arm. if you're talking about the vertical arm on item 19 that is used for the rear attachments as well as where the 'flag' goes for the snowblower. The rear attachment would have a cable running to a rockshaft under the seat. Note that your dial-a-height setup is different than the picture I posted (post #12). The one I showed is for a 77 and older.

Edited by Racinbob

Horse46

Sorry Racinbob, i was refering to post 16 an 17, this is the model i have, but your picture is the same piece I was originally refering to.

however you have answered my question thank you. I forget it not just a mower which is all I use mine for.

Racinbob

No problem at all Horse. I had forgotten about that change they made but now some of the old gray matter has been refreshed. :)

mrocket49

And just in case you're wondering, part #9 in the diagram is the replacement shaft you need if you add the electric lift option.