wheelhorsekid

Is it just wrong to change a horse?

wheelhorsekid

I have my 79 C-161 that I love, but I love the look of a C-160 better with the hood ornament and hood decals. Is it just wrong to add a hood ornament and use 76 C-160 decals on the hood?

• Like 1

cruisnblue48

No, it's not wrong to change your horse. It's yours... you can do whatever you want to it. They were only original once when new.

bmsgaffer

I say go for it. Unless you have a super rare model i would have no qualms about making it yours.

I wouldn't, for example, change anything on a 420LSE ( i think there were under 300 made) but as for the rest of them I like making them unique.

I am taking a 520H and turning it into a blackhood, a C-205 as it were. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

craigbic

:angry-banghead:  :techie-error:   :eusa-doh:   :jaw:   :scared-yipes:  :naughty:   :omg:   Just kidding, it's fine.  It's your horse, use it how YOU want to. You should enjoy it and if that means changing it up with the hood ornament and C-160 decals than go for it! Nobody here would hold that against you. 

neil

That's all part of the fun in owning a horse

Do what makes you happy

• Like 2

Coadster32

I made this 551 my own with custom hood ornament and the paint job that I liked. My kids name are hand painted on the fenders as well. There's a bell on the hood which is the 2nd place prize for the show called belltown. My son was sitting on the tractor for this pic. Make it your own for certain.

">http://Picture128.jpg

">http://pics003-4.jpg

Edited by Coadster32
  • Like 2

stevebo

Just my opinion of course however I am a not a fan of changing a nice correct tractor. I think that is why so many collectors have so many tractors. If you have to make changes I would recommend making the changes that can be easily changed back like decals etc. When you start drilling holes etc that is not good. However like others have said it is your tractor and your decision. 

• Like 1

motor12

When I got my 854  it had holes drilled all over the place for switches, a hood thing, odd ball lights and stickers from different horses. It was all something I was able to repair. For me minor changes to make it your own is good, something that can be returned to original easily. Although I am not a fan of drilling holes in sheet metal where they were not intended, I respect your right to do as you please. It's your horse.   my 2 cents...

Edited by motor12

AMC RULES

Customs...or the factory originals... :confusion-shrug:

personally, I like 'em all...as long as they're :wh:

• Like 2

Racinbob

I agree with the others here. Do with it as you please. I personally agree about the 76  vs the 79 decals. The older style seemed cleaner to me. I also like the hood ornament but you'll have to go back to 75 for that. The 76 didn't have them. In the 24 years I owned my 76 I always wanted that ornament but I just never put one on it. Have fun making your own personal statement with your tractor. :handgestures-thumbsup:

Edited by Racinbob

Jrblanke

I like original tractors, but there were plenty of them made and correct tractors will always be out there. 

Do what you like!

• Like 1

wheelhorsekid

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, and agree with all of them lol. I guess what makes the best sense is to just go buy another 74 or 75 C-160 lol.

• Like 4

bmsgaffer

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, and agree with all of them lol. I guess what makes the best sense is to just go buy another 74 or 75 C-160 lol.

NOW your talkin like a true :wh: fan! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Geno

Couldn't have said it better myself.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Shuboxlover

Or find a spare hood with the ornament holes and decals and then just change the hood when you want to change the appearance!!!

rollingflat

WHkid I think its great you want to work on  a 30+ year old garden tractor and want to make it right but also want to make to personal. I to was

asking myself

that exact question when I picked up a '64 654 with the wrong motor, seat, and no hood. :eusa-think: The more I studied the pics of the other guys tractors of the same model there

were many differences and not all were factory options. My earliest memory as a kid was playing on my dads round fender craftsman tractor 

which had a steel seat,

so when I saw the 654 had round fenders I just had to find a steel seat. and with the wrong motor and hood that needs some holes welded in its

not going to be OEM ... but it WILL be MINE!!  And the joy of knowing I have rescued a great tractor from the junk is a great feeling. Not to 

mention the memorys I hope to be making for my son. So good luck and have fun with your New WH tractor!! :handgestures-thumbsup: Dont forget the pics!!

post-12305-0-34345200-1417667651_thumb.jpost-12305-0-48201600-1417667751_thumb.j

• Like 6

Mr. 856

I cant keep anything I own original......its just not in my blood I suppose.

• Like 1

Geno

Different strokes for different folks.  I'm more an original type guy myself.  It's all good when we're talking  :wh: .

Tankman

I don't like, or see why, I might change a Horse. The herd is kind of spectacular and they love work!

My '90 520-8 has changed, needed to change before I passed on. Seat, original was trashed. R&R'd at TSC.

Decals, awful.

Steering wheel top cap, dreadful.

Air screen center cap, the pits.

Decals, thanks Terry, no longer "T" mentioned.

Steering wheel cap, goin' Horsey logo. Glen's a savior.

The air screen center "T" is a dog toy, now Horsey from the classic kitchen.

Now I can sleep well.   :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:

The aftermarket artistically beautiful needed parts fit perfectly, and, if you don't follow suit you'll toss 'n turn in your grave!

Let's all "T" off!   :roll:

KC9KAS

rollingflat. The hood looks good on the 654.

It looks like your legs are a little short to reach the pedels......Oh wait, that must be your son! :ROTF:

Fine looking young fellow....I think he has taken ownership of the 654!

Ken B

When I picked up this Suburban it was REAL toasty. There was rust pits halfway thru the frame with a ton of other issues both cosmetically and mechanical. Other than the hood being some there and some what okay but with a million holes in it this Suburban would have hardly of made a good parts machine.. I decided this was the one I was going to have fun with so I welded up all of the holes in the frame and welded at least a dozen holes in the hood closed and it just got a little out of hand from there.. An almost NOS engine was installed and I rebuilt the rear diff. If someone thinks I ruined a good tractor then they have no idea.. At the end of the day I can still easily change it back to a stocker... 

Then there is my son's Suburban that I put an 8 hp Electric start Kohler on. No hackin of the hood was done and no hackin on the tractor.. This wasn't an all original paint tractor either, it can also be easily changed back to stock but truth be told neither one of these tractor's are going anywhere so goin back to stock probably ain't gonna happen.. I like to leave the nice RJ's and Suburbans and any other rare tractor original if they are fairly decent.. In this case I say have at it!

002-5.jpg

007-13_zps7f383d09.jpg

007_zps29a82919.jpg

• Like 4

SALTYWRIGHT

When I put the diesels in my tractors I do it so i can put it back to stock any time.  

SousaKerry

All of my running tractors have at least some minor mods, mostly SS bling added here and there.  It started with my conversion of my C-125 to a C-175, I found a belt guard for a C-175 but it was full of rust holes and pits, so I fabricated a new one out of stainless.  Why because I could and had plenty of scraps at work plus a full sheet metal shop at my disposal.  Oh yeah and I did this before Buckrancher built his SS RJ58 :ychain:   Every tractor I have done since has at least one strategic piece remade in SS.  You have to look really close on my near stock 655 to find it but it is there(the parking brake lever.)

The subtle changes is what makes your tractor your own.

• Like 1

Mr. 856

When I picked up this Suburban it was REAL toasty. There was rust pits halfway thru the frame with a ton of other issues both cosmetically and mechanical. Other than the hood being some there and some what okay but with a million holes in it this Suburban would have hardly of made a good parts machine.. I decided this was the one I was going to have fun with so I welded up all of the holes in the frame and welded at least a dozen holes in the hood closed and it just got a little out of hand from there.. An almost NOS engine was installed and I rebuilt the rear diff. If someone thinks I ruined a good tractor then they have no idea.. At the end of the day I can still easily change it back to a stocker... 

Then there is my son's Suburban that I put an 8 hp Electric start Kohler on. No hackin of the hood was done and no hackin on the tractor.. This wasn't an all original paint tractor either, it can also be easily changed back to stock but truth be told neither one of these tractor's are going anywhere so goin back to stock probably ain't gonna happen.. I like to leave the nice RJ's and Suburbans and any other rare tractor original if they are fairly decent.. In this case I say have at it!

002-5.jpg

007-13_zps7f383d09.jpg

007_zps29a82919.jpg

Very nice tractors!

Stigian

Modifying a Wheel Horse!!!  How could you think of such a thing? :D:lol:

Strangely despite my history of building non standard machines there are some I wouldn't/couldn't bring myself to chop about, my Gt-14 being one of them.. Ok, it's got a bigger engine, roll bar, front weight/battery box added but it's all bolt on stuff with no extra holes drilled so it could be put back to stock very easily..

• Like 3