oldironlindy

702 vs. 753

oldironlindy

I am trying to figure out if I have a 702 or a 753 WH, All of the decals have been removed on my tractor. It is electric start 7 hp kohler.

• Like 1

Austin860

No expert, but someone more experienced will chime in. I know that they will need pics to help identify for sure.

oldironlindy

Here is a pic of my tractor.

post-14332-0-85482000-1417578156_thumb.j

Terry M

Just from the model numbers, the 702 is a 1962 recoil start with a 7hp kohler.    a 753 is an 1963 recoil/electric start with a 7hp kohler....to the best of my knowledge.

stevebo

702 was also electric start. One of the years that the model number does not make sense...

Terry M

702 was also electric start. One of the years that the model number does not make sense...

That's weird....so does that mean that there isn't a 752 model?  I myself can't remember hearing that model number before....Seems I learn something new on this site everyday :) .

Firpo701

That's weird....so does that mean that there isn't a 752 model? I myself can't remember hearing that model number before....Seems I learn something new on this site everyday :) .

Nope...no 752. :-P

sorekiwi

702 is one of the exceptions to the rule, it was an electric start Kohler.

A '62 mosel will have the one piece fuel tank, in '63 they went to the stupid 2 piece tank.

702 will have the early front axle, in '63 they went to the wider track axle.(with resulting chassis change).  your picture shows the later axle.

• Like 3

Terry M

702 is one of the exceptions to the rule, it was an electric start Kohler.

A '62 mosel will have the one piece fuel tank, in '63 they went to the stupid 2 piece tank.

702 will have the early front axle, in '63 they went to the wider track axle.(with resulting chassis change).  your picture shows the later axle.

Thanks for the info mike..  I see what you mean about the front axle. 

Firpo701

I was going to ask about the fuel tanks. Wasn't sure if 62 had the one piece or the two. I knew 63 had the two piece. I now feel better informed! :-P

Shynon

My 702 is electric start with one piece fuel tank. Can you show pictures of lift arm and clutch/brake pedal.

Tom

oldironlindy

I have a fairly extensive collection of garden tractors which includes 5 wheel horses now. I never realized how many different models Wheel Horse made until I started looking into it recently. Is there any picture reference / model id list out there for them? Thanks for all the info so far!

Shynon

Pictures will get the quickest/best response, serial #'s work but I am not sure all those tractors at auction  are original.

Tom

octfst

I have a fairly extensive collection of garden tractors which includes 5 wheel horses now. I never realized how many different models Wheel Horse made until I started looking into it recently. Is there any picture reference / model id list out there for them? Thanks for all the info so far!

Yes. Right here on RS under picture Gallery.

ri702bill

A picture of the left side will show an adjustable implement height stop assembly on a 753, the 702 has only 2 fixed positions. Also, the 702 had 2 bent straps at the base of the hoodstand, the 753 did not.The front axle and the steering wheel look like a 753. The 702 had a bolt on dash panel, the 753 has it as part of the tank. The 702 has a 2 position keyswitch and a momentary starter switch, the 753 has a 3 position keyswitch.

prondzy

looks to be a 753 the axle is a give away, the clutch foot pedal should not be the small rounded flag style like on the 702 and 701 it should be larger and have square corners, the steering wheel could have been replaced but that is the style steering wheel on the 704 which would suggest later 753 , the 702 would have had a 3 spoke metal wheel. It looks like you have an older repaint, sometimes they would just paint over the old decals. if you don't mind taking a chance sometimes a little paint remover can reveal the model numbers and hood decals. hope this helps! and welcome to   :rs:

buckrancher

753 with a 64 steering wheel or it's a 854 is the battery box bolted in? and are the rear hubs 3 bolt or 5?

Edited by buckrancher

oldironlindy

It is highly likely that there are parts from multiple tractors on this one. It looked better to me in the pictures than it did when I picked it up. But I bought a parts tractor off the sale too so I think I can make a good tractor out of it. I will take some more pics and see if the model # is under the paint tonight.

CasualObserver

Pretty sure you picked up an 854... and the listing even said K181.

Here's the other side pictures.  I'm just disappointed I missed out on this sale... lot of stuff went for cheap!

post-37-0-00534200-1417620507_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-69522500-1417620507.jpg

• Like 1

oldironlindy

Your right it is a k181 8 hp sorry. There was some deals but allot of the tractors including the ones I got were cobbled together and need some work but that is the fun of it. I thought it started to end at 7 instead of 6 so I missed most of the tractors that I wanted..... OOO well there will be more.

WheelHorse79

Also, the dash decal looks like an 854, it has a rolled edge on the hood and it has single key starting (no push button) which would indicate an 854.

Edited by WheelHorse79