stuppy62

Snowthrower modification

stuppy62

I bought this old snowthrower & wanted to bring it back from it's ugly state. Pressure wash, some wire wheel & sanding it was ready for a fresh coat of paint. While I was working on it I noticed a lot of you talking about tall chutes, so I thought this would get the snow up higher & farther away. All I did was cut the deflector off the turning ring & add a light weight piece of pipe in between. What do you think?

post-13728-0-38457800-1417574800.jpg

post-13728-0-10544700-1417574845_thumb.j

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

Looks good.

The snow coming out of the blower has a little forward arc to it, (thats why the tall chutes lean forward a bit) so you may want to lean it forward just a bit. I think the snow might hit the front of the pipe and loose velocity which will cause excessive clogging....

Just my :twocents-02cents: , but you might want to try it out first just to make sure.

• Like 1

RMCIII

Brandon has a point. The other thing I might check is the number of teeth on your blower auger or the teeth on the primary shaft. On the modification I saw that was done by the member in Buffalo, it seemed like the snow did not quite have the plume that other tall chutes do., Got me thiniking it may be that the number of teeth are different.

Rob

Trouty56

Might have to experiment with the height and angle some but looks nice.....

Trouty56

the other guys have a point...the angle thing keeps  the snow moving in a directional flow.....

Edited by Trouty56

Shynon

I would open up the front side of the pipe, I don't think the blower will have enough lift to get all of it out. I have a tall chute and wet snow will not make it up that high, it will plug and slip the clutch.

Tom

stuppy62

After using it in last weeks heavy snow I was considering opening the throat up some. You can't tell from the pic, but it does have 1" of angle cut forward. I guess trial & error at this point.

PaulC

looks good stuppy!! hopefully I can give you a few pointers that might help I am the member from Buffalo Rob mentions. Here is the link to my thread

I cut the lower portion of mine at a 10 degree angle so I would think the 1" up you mentioned would be in that ball park. I did end up capping the front of my chute so I do like what you did but maybe its just a bit to tall in the front? My front cover is about 12" tall. You could always just cut a small section out of the front on yours? I wouldn't be to frustrated yet because wet heavy snow is a pain no matter what kind of snowthrower you use.

And Rob I still think the difference you speak of in the throw of the snow is due to the consistency. I went back and watched your videos and mine and in yours as soon as you hit the snow its just a cloud of dust. Then you see my video to where it looks like my blower is throwing individual snow balls with barely any dust. To bad Cutlass(Shawn) didn't post any videos of his blower in action that would have been a really good comparison.

Wyattrrp

Stuppy62

Here is what the dimension of the front deflector height is like when I pretty much duplicated one a year or 2 ago.  Too high the wet snow will likely plug the chute.  Your original had no front on the chute as my first blower did and therefore it threw a lot out forward, not upward and then out. Not as far throw and more blowback.  Original high chutes came with no front cover, just a wire Vee in front to keep your hand out to avoid mangling fingers if the auger was not stopped. Then they added a partial height front cover to deflect more snow up so it hits the top deflector then out and does throw farther. 

Anyway here is a link to the design I posted and went through several helpful participants to get the factory high chute front cover right and shows the dimensions of the front cover that i made to be easier to remove than a later factory front chute cover that is pretty much permanently bolted on.  Mine is held on by 2 wingnuts for quick removal if wet snow and back on for powder where it stops the light snow from coming out the front of the chute then blowing into your face!

Just a suggestion.

Wyattrrp

Sorry I forgot to mention the above link also shows the forward lean to be 1" for every 4" in chute height. Doesn't seem like that much but when I made a few trial mockups it did turn out to be about that much forward lean.  Perhaps a bit less will work too .  I tried to duplicate the cover lean for the factory high chute.

Wyatt