Ed Kennell

Deer Hunters

Ed Kennell

Any successful deer hunters out there?    If you like, post the pictures here.

After harvesting over 100 deer over the past  60+  years, I participated in the most rewarding hunt of my life yesterday.

I was mentoring my 11 year old Grandson Owen when he dispatched this deer instantly with a perfect neck shot at 40 yards with a .223 WSSM.

We watched this deer for about 10 minutes before taking the shot.

post-7208-0-42461100-1417527351_thumb.jp  post-7208-0-09670400-1417527386_thumb.jp

BTW, this is the deer I took earlier this year during the archery season.

post-7208-0-51719400-1417527571_thumb.jp

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 6

AMC RULES

What a great Grandpa Owen has.  :bow-blue: 

• Like 1

Trouty56

Filled my doe tag this morning behind my home......that buck is still on my menu......just don't seem to see many qualifiers close here....beaucoup doe and small antlered bucks....must be the orchard spray...haha

post-1933-0-53430600-1417549075_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Kennedy

This is my first ever Crossbow kill.

de3ae2c8-4a8c-46a7-8f56-0197e7146ee6_zps

Here are 3 nice skulls I have found over the years on the place I hunt.

20141129_0910401_zps784767f4.jpg

That is a pretty interesting rack on that buck of yours ED.

Mark

Edited by Kennedy
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Could be tooo many apples and not enough acorns out there to grow antlers Bob.  Gotta luv that "honey crisp flavored venison" though. :handgestures-thumbupright:

WTG on the xbow Mark. :thumbs:  What do you think killed the three buck you found?  :eusa-think:

Yeah, that spilt beam buck isn't a high scorer, but unique enough to go on the wall.  I do my own taxidermy, so it only costs about $100 and about 40 hours of my time this winter.

buckrancher

nice buck Ed

Brian

Ed Kennell

Thanks Brian, but c'mon where's the pics of yours.   :dunno:  I know you took a good one.  :wwp:

Kennedy

I am not real sure what could have killed those deer to be honest.  We had a bad case of that blue tounge disease sweep through Ohio 2 years ago. DNR said it wiped out about 25% of the states herd. Here is a wikipedia on it if you are interested:  The properties around me are heavily hunted could have been some bad hits too. Thats awesome that you can do your own taxidermy Ed.

• Like 1

19richie66

Nice looking deer.

Thought this was funny.

Trouty56

Could be tooo many apples and not enough acorns out there to grow antlers Bob.  Gotta luv that "honey crisp flavored venison" though. :handgestures-thumbupright:

WTG on the xbow Mark. :thumbs:  What do you think killed the three buck you found?  :eusa-think:

Yeah, that spilt beam buck isn't a high scorer, but unique enough to go on the wall.  I do my own taxidermy, so it only costs about $100 and about 40 hours of my time this winter.

Well look what walked my way today......

post-1933-0-93277800-1418439254_thumb.jp

Edited by Trouty56
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

WTG Bob ...Nice buck. Was he by himself ? I had a herd of 18 doe and fawns cross the road in front of me today. Not a buck in the bunch. After they crossed and piled up trying to get through this 5 wire fence, I remembered my camera.

post-7208-0-77921700-1418441777_thumb.jppost-7208-0-43465800-1418441872_thumb.jp

I just called Grandson Owen and told him to be ready at 6AM tomorrow for his last day to take a buck.

• Like 2

Trouty56

He was in a small herd....maybe 6.....what a surprise when I saw that rack.....heck....I was sneaking up the hill when I saw deer on the ridge.....I crouched down and waited....then they appeared about 40 yards away....and then he walked out.....magical....

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Some days it all comes together. I spent a good morning with Owen watching woodpeckers and scoping 4 doe, but all we have left is Owen's buck tag.

Had to take him to a basketball game at noon..his team lost bad.

Then back to the woods for the evening. One doe appeared right at dark and we could see another deer back in the shadows. We ran out of light before we could ID that one. Oh well we'll uncase the smokepole after Christmas.

post-7208-0-93952500-1418518873_thumb.jppost-7208-0-26396600-1418518889_thumb.jppost-7208-0-70127000-1418518907_thumb.jp

• Like 1

boovuc

Hi Ed, All,

Nice pics and stories! 

I don't send for doe tags. Deer are scarce in the big woods area of PA. Lots of rubs and scraps around the camp this year. Lots of scat too. I saw a couple bald ones in the rain which seemed to be everyday I hunted! Oh and did manage to take a mouse Tuesday night in a trap at Camp. No horns on it either!

• Like 1

brandonozz

Great job guys!  Especially like the stories about the young guys/gals getting that first deer.  I bought a Ruger Compact American 243 for my son and tried to get him out this year but it just never worked out for him to get to go/want to go more than a couple of times.  Maybe the passion will take off next year.

I did manage to get him to help me with some pics of the one I got with the smoke pole. 

post-4057-0-58216600-1418882339_thumb.jp

post-4057-0-30909400-1418882431_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Give him time Brandon.  All we can do is make the opportunities available and see where their interests lead them.  I have two sons and four grandsons, and my youngest grandson is the  only one that has shown any interest in hunting.

Great buck BTW.   Looks like an old timer with that big body and Roman nose.

Do you have an early flintlock season ?  Pa doesn't open till after Christmas.

brandonozz

Ed,

Oklahoma has bow season from Oct 1st thru January 15th.  Muzzleloader runs for 9 days during the week of Halloween.  Gun runs 16 days during Thanksgiving.  We do get to use in-line's and they make a big difference - pull the trigger and they always go boom.

Between football (4th grade) and video games I just couldnt get my boy in the woods as much as I wanted to.  I won't make him go but I sure hoped he would.  I do believe we will be able to get him a turkey in the spring. 

Thanks for the comments on the deer.  I've been fortunate to get a 10 or better the last four years on my lease and never seem to be able to get any pictures on the trail cams until the season really gets heated up.  It's amazing how sneaky those older bucks can be .....until they get a little love struck!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Yeah, the old boys tend to be nocturnal till the girls are ready.  I usually only get night pics before Nov 1.  Then they get a little reckless and can be seen anytime.  

Our bow season is Oct 1 thru Nov 15, with a 3 day doe only inline season thrown in there in late Oct.  Rifle is Dec 1 thru Dec 14. Then bow and Flintlock is Dec 26 thru Jan 10.

I hear ya on the inline.  I use mine in Md. where they have a bucks only season and my .50 will shoot with my .270 out to 100yds.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Got in a little taxidermy work while watching the paint dry on the Commando 8 parts.

Got my buck ready for the cape but that probably won't get mounted till Feb.

Made a little "bunny" paper weight from Owens doe foot.  I'll surprise him with this on his 12th birthday in Jan.

post-7208-0-75683300-1418960627_thumb.jppost-7208-0-85193600-1418960648_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Kennedy

What type of inlines are you guys using?  This year and last year Ohio added a two day, antlerless, muzzleloader in  October. The regular muzzleloader season is in January. Too cold for me then. Our archery is September 27- Febuary 1. Our gun season is only one week long and always starts the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Nice paper weight Ed, Im sure he will like it.

Mark

• Like 1

brandonozz

Kennedy,

I'm using a CVA Firebolt Ultramag that is bolt action style.  Shoots good but I think its about time to pass it on to my son (even if he isn't big enouth to handle the weight).  It's about 10 years old and I'm really ready to get a new break over - easy to clean and I won't have to have that stupid tool to get the primer in place!

Ed,

I love that "bunny" and the personalized picture with the case is awsome.  I love stuff like that.  A memory the two of you will always have!  I made a bow holder years ago with some deer legs.  I plan on helping my son build a new one with his first deer.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Mark, I use a CVA  150 mag. It  uses 3-50 grain pellets.  Like Brandon says, they shoot great, but it does take a little practice to get the primer in place.

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 1

Kennedy

Thanks guys. I have been looking into the Thompson Center Impact. It is a basic entry level muzzle loader from what I have read, but it is break action. Sorry if I hijacked your thread Ed.

Mark

Desko

Filled my doe tag this morning behind my home......that buck is still on my menu......just don't seem to see many qualifiers close here....beaucoup doe and small antlered bucks....must be the orchard spray...haha

attachicon.gif20141202_094003.jpg

Is that is a 760 game master 30-06 i have the same gun great without all the kick

Trouty56

Is that is a 760 game master 30-06 i have the same gun great without all the kick

No....this gun is a Remington 280 model 7600.....3006 and the 280 use the same case...just necked down....