Jake Kuhn

5010 rebuild

Jake Kuhn

Hi All,

Didn't think I was going to tear into this one for a while, but ended up taking it apart today. I sure wish they were all in this shape! I got this trans in a deal a couple of years ago and its just been sitting. I am going to rebuild this for a 400 I'll be restoring in the future. All gears are in great shape. A few of the bearings are shot but some are usable. I have all the bearings and seals to rebuild a trans, so I will change them I didn't get many pictures, but here's what I got. Will get more pictures of when its all cleaned up. Thanks, Jake

post-4240-0-61521300-1417484228_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-43457600-1417484231_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-91871900-1417484233_thumb.jp

• Like 5

dclarke

That does look to be in good shape, Jake. I'm sure you'll have it like new in no time. :thumbs:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You have one with the needle bearing in the brake shaft...just looking at the pictures.. # 5010 for sure.  I think you are starting to like these 3 piece tranys???

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Got it all cleaned up today, cleaned up pretty good! All gears are in good shape, but as I said the bearings are worn so I am going to replace them. sideplates are also not that bad either, not pitted, but they are a little beat up, I should be able to straighten them though, I'm going to prime and sand these like I did on the trans I just did for my 58. it will probably be a while before the plates get primed and sanded, so there probably won't be another update for a while. Here's some pictures. Thanks, Jake

all new bearings and seals

post-4240-0-56716700-1417570456_thumb.jp

and the rest of the parts.

post-4240-0-83716000-1417570461_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-64264700-1417570468_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-32259500-1417570474_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-66273500-1417570479_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-37240900-1417570484_thumb.jp

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Nice work Jake...looks terrific.  :)

prondzy

looking good jake!

bamaboyz71

Looking for some help! I have a 1960 wheel horse suburban and the Transmission started to grind so I took it apart and two gears we're eat up all my seals are gone and I think maybe be that is what done it cause of no oil but it's been down for two years and it's time to fix it. I would like to just buy one if I can and swap out to someone that can rebuild them. Thank you if anyone can help!

Jake Kuhn

Looking for some help! I have a 1960 wheel horse suburban and the Transmission started to grind so I took it apart and two gears we're eat up all my seals are gone and I think maybe be that is what done it cause of no oil but it's been down for two years and it's time to fix it. I would like to just buy one if I can and swap out to someone that can rebuild them. Thank you if anyone can help!

Hello,

I do not have a complete trans for sale, your best bet on this is probably going to be tearing into it yourself and rebuilding it. I know a little bit about these, but not a lot yet. Stevasaurus knows a lot about them and is always willing to help. Post some pictures of your trans so we can see how bad it looks.

bamaboyz71

OK I will Thank you so so much! It needs Two Gears and all seals. I don't care to drop a few bills on fixing it cause it's a nice one. I'll try to post the gears tomorrow. Thanks Again.

stevasaurus

bama...you may want to start you own thread on this transmission.  I sent you a PM (message).  :)

bamaboyz71

Your Right. I've never done this before but Thanks Bud.

bamaboyz71

Guy's I think I know what I need... it's the Cluster gears and everything that a person would need to build the transmission... Now the bearing on the side plate looks good. I'm So so that I don't know how to work this posting right but I wo be happy to pay anyone that can find the cluster gears and a rebuild kit to build this Thing! Thank you

Jake Kuhn

Sent you a message.

• Like 2

bamaboyz71

Sent you a message.

Jake Kuhn

Got the plates primed today...hopefully they will only need sanded once and then I can put this one back together.

post-4240-0-59265800-1423878623_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

got this one finished up and back together yesterday, sorry but forgot to get pictures, this is the only one I got, will add a shot after its painted. 

post-4240-0-70193800-1424088657_thumb.jp

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Hey Jake...nothing like a 56 year old transmission that looks like brand new.  LONG LIVE WHEEL HORSE!!!  :)

• Like 1