Hodge71

An Algebra Problem... (chainsaw)+ 10' ladder+[tree branch14' in the air]/gravity= pain

Hodge71

With the snow we had here over the Turkey holiday, it brought down quite a few branches around the farmhouse. One biggie coming right across the front of my Durango and YJ about a foot away from the front bumpers on both. I decided that the remaining branch and to exit before I had an insurance claim. We were supposed to do it with the Bobcat Saturday but it was more important to get the grain dryer running again. 280 acres of corn to harvest and we can't seem t get it below 20% moisture. The mill bangs us for anything over 16% so the dryer took precedent over the 2 foot wide x 20' long tree branch. Well Sunday morning after I sighted the 30-06 I got a bug up my butt after seeing freezing rain in the forecast and decided the branch was coming down before it cost me financially. I got out the 10' ladder, chainsaw and trimmed some pesky branches before getting th big guy. I climbed the ladder with my trusty Farm Boss in hand and made my bottom cut then attacked it from the top. I was cutting slowly so that i could more or less just lay the far end down and then cut through the back by the trunk to complete it and the clean up. I was doing nice and the branch was slowly lowering down, then SNAP!!!! It broke off, falling the 14 feet down breaking the ladder like a toothpick and sending me flying ass over tin cups. Somehow I realized this was going to end badly and threw the saw away as I flew upside down. I landed on my left arm/wrist, shoulder, back of  my head and somehow my right leg got twisted under me and landed on the ladder remnants. I laid there on the ground for a second moving appendages, wiping the blood from my leg and running down my neck from my head wound where it hit. I got up walked inside and asked my girlfriend who graduates as a doctor in 2 weeks to make sure everything was where it belonged and help me clean up. After my exam I have a stage II strain/sprain of my lower forearm, soft tissue damage in the same area from the impact of a 240 pound guy on an itty bitty wrist, scratch on the back of my head from the rock I landed on but no concussion. Right leg ok just scraped up. I'll be fine but my forearm and wrist is 3 times its normal size from the trauma. Gonna be ok, just completely useless as a productive  appendage for the near future. Its wrapped and Iced as much as I can while working full time. It could be worse as I have no healthcare until January...This wasn't meant to be a pity party for me but an educational post. I have been cutting trees for the better part of 25 years, done some really stupid things without any planning and never got hurt...even when you plan...stuff happens that surprises you. 14 feet in the air is not the place to be without a contingency plan. I wont be splitting wood anytime soon as its hard with 1 hand to load the splitter and stack it up. I will have to find a new plan for heat at least for a couple  weeks until my wing can flap again..but at least I am still here and I threw the saw so it didnt cut me in half :text-imwithstupid:  :auto-ambulance:

• Like 5

dcrage

You are making me think twice about cutting the dead half of the ash tree in my back yard (cause I would need to do that off of a ladder)

AMC RULES

Oh...man, c'mon.    :eusa-doh: 

Do I have to come down there again?      :ychain: 

Heal well my friend...if you need help, just let me know.  

varosd

Jeff,   

You know there is a Red Safety hard hat that Bob Maynard is itching to give up.  It (the hard hat) is given to folks who fess up about having a near death adventure.

but glad you are in 1 piece! :D

Hodge71

Well Im not sure I want the "honor" of the red hard hat. I may not deserve it simply because I am still here and rather unscathed considering

Jeff,   

You know there is a Red Safety hard hat that Bob Maynard is itching to give up.  It (the hard hat) is given to folks who fess up about having a near death adventure.

Craig I know you'd be here if I need it. Im trying to see if I can get a couple loads of wood delivered and at that point Jeb could really do most of the work for me with his Charger 12 and the dump trailer. Its just a matter of stacking it all nicely

Edited by Hodge71

Geno

That's sure could have ended a lot worse, glad you came out as good as you did.  :)

rmaynard

Jeff,   

Jeff,

I would gladly pass along that hard hat. I hope you mend quickly.

Will you be at the Wheel Horse show in June? The hard hat will...

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Hodge...when I read this, it is exactly what happened to me a few years ago.  I threw my chain saw and it did not even have a mark on it...ladder disappeared...fell 15 feet.  I spent 3 weeks in the hospital.  My advise...you are lucky to be OK...embrace your time in any rehab...realize you were stupid (as I was)...make the best of your situation, and make a great come back.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

KC9KAS

Glad you are OK and threw the saw away from you....That could have been really bad!

I just got off the phone with a guy that has a stationary man-lift and is going to trim the top out of a tree on my property so I can safely (I hope) take it down all the way.

• Like 2

Hodge71

Jeff,

I would gladly pass along that hard hat. I hope you mend quickly.

Will you be at the Wheel Horse show in June? The hard hat will...

Bob I will be there. I will be mended by then Im sure

Hodge...when I read this, it is exactly what happened to me a few years ago.  I threw my chain saw and it did not even have a mark on it...ladder disappeared...fell 15 feet.  I spent 3 weeks in the hospital.  My advise...you are lucky to be OK...embrace your time in any rehab...realize you were stupid (as I was)...make the best of your situation, and make a great come back.  :)

Steve, Im grateful that Im able to move and function somewhat normally...even for me...lol. Therapy/rehab is my next concern. Gonna be a long road 

• Like 1

JimD

I'm glad you are well enough to post your misadventure here. I have some storm fall trees down out back that I've been trying to get to to cut up. But I'm getting a little weary of being out there by myself with the chainsaw any more. I don't feel my feet as well as i used to so tripping has become a normal hazard around here. I do always look to see where the wife is any time I trip though, just to be sure it wasn't her, lol. I hope you heal quickly and don't suffer any long term effects from your injuries. This might give you more time to ponder the Bowl Game picks later. :ychain:

Seriously, glad you'll be ok. :)

stevasaurus

Jeff...this is to make you laugh...hope it does not hurt to laugh.  :)

Jim was speaking of "tripping"...my good friend Brrly1 has been tripping all his life...he still thinks Iowa has a good football team.  :ychain:   :)

• Like 2

Hodge71

Jeff...this is to make you laugh...hope it does not hurt to laugh.  :)

Jim was speaking of "tripping"...my good friend Brrly1 has been tripping all his life...he still thinks Iowa has a good football team.  :ychain:   :)

NOW THATS SOME FUNNY STUFF RIGHT THERE!!!! :bow-blue: 

• Like 2

squonk

All you tree cutting "Expurts" remind me of Edgar!

• Like 2

lobo

Hello  all, there are some things called safety harnesses out there, maybe you've heard of them? :eusa-think:

Hodge71

Hello  all, there are some things called safety harnesses out there, maybe you've heard of them? :eusa-think:

Gee lobo...Thanks...Im going to have to hitch the ole wagon to the horses and head into town and see if Ike Gottfried has one at the general store

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:eusa-clap:  Yeah...this guys got a harness.   :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

CRE1992

After reading this... a couple things go through my head... First I am glad to hear you werent seriously maimed or hurt. Secondly... If it involves any tree work that is 10+ feet off the ground its a good idea to leave it to the professionals... That being said I have spent the last 2 years professionally doing tree removal while I was in college, as well as now. I have seen/heard (Steve!) many horror stories of things going wrong...

• Like 1

RMCIII

Ouch

Edited by RMCIII

Hodge71

Im just happy Im not broken.

Edited by Hodge71

RMCIII

Jeff- was only trying to find a little humor in the incident is all. Was not saying you were in the wrong at all. Just looking to find a little laughter within the ordeal. I always try to find humor in my mistakes and bumbling. Laughter is a medicine that seems to cure even the most incurable things. No worries, deleted.

Rob

Edited by RMCIII

Hodge71

6 weeks of progress wiped out by one 8 year old at basketball practice last night ugh...back to the drawing board.... :banghead::no::ranting:

At this rate I may need that red hardhat for the big show....

Edited by Hodge71
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

LOL...hey rmaynard(Bob)...

see this?   :handgestures-thumbsup:

:eusa-doh: Get well soon...again Jeff.   :popcorn:

Hodge71

LOL...hey rmaynard(Bob)...

see this?   :handgestures-thumbsup:

:eusa-doh: Get well soon...again Jeff.   :popcorn:

I wasnt necessarily campaigning for the hat...lol

AMC RULES

Trust me Jeff, you won't have to...  :)

it's an honor that is bestowed upon you by your fellow :wh: brethren.