Sign in to follow this  
WH854

Cleaning Engine

WH854

What is the best way to clean a greasy engine still on tractor? :banghead:

Chas. :USA:

Mith

Pressure washer works tops for me. If the grease is real stubborn you can loosen it up with a bit of carb cleaner or petrol and a paintbrush first.

Just try to keep the jet away from the electrics and air intake as best you can.

sorekiwi

Assuming its not new paint on the tractor....

You could use an engine degreaser that you spray on, let sit and then hose off, but I usually use Simple Green, spray it on (with the motor cold) and work it around a bit with an old paint brush. After about 10 minutes I rinse it of with water (dont use a high pressure jet that will get in everywhere), and blow it off with compressed air, using a rag to mop up the dribbles that the air will blow out from under the obstructions. Actually before I start I usually blow the tractor off with the air to dislodge the grass clipping etc, and to clear out the cooling fins and fan shroud on the engine.

When I'm done I usually spray around the carb, coil, choke and throttle cables and any electics/switches with WD40 to frighten off any moisture, and to stop any aluminum from going "fuzzy". Any WD that gets on the exhaust will burn off when you start the tractor. In fact I start the tractor when I'm done to make sure that it still goes!

While I'm at it I usually pump a little grease into the axle pivot, steering pivots and axles and spindles to chase out any water or degreaser that will have splashed down there.

I try not to let the simple green sit on the paint too long. Be really careful if you use something like "Purple Power", it will lift the paint (I sometimes soak parts in pure Purple power to strip the paint completely). Simple Green doesnt seem so aggressive.

Raider12

I normaly use Whesley's Bleach White. It is a super degreaser for this kind of job. Leaves it sqeeky clean afterward too.

linen beige

Carb cleaner will take off ALL the old oily dirt, grease, etc., but will also take ALL the old paint with it (Assuming it's a quality carb cleaner.).

Comercial engine degreasers such as Gunk do a pretty good job as well, but Simple Green or a 50/50 mix of Lestoil and water do just as good and are cheaper. If you use any of these keep the surface wet since dried cleaner will "blush" the paint. Don't use Pinesol as it will remove the paint.

An old auto restorers trick is to use compressed air to blow away any loose dirt then simply coat the whole engine with clean engine oil and let it soak in for a day or two. The new oil soaks into the old dried up crud and breaks it's grip on the surface without hurting any paint. Then hit it with a little Simple Green or the like and rinse it off.

Dry it off with compressed air and start it up to warm the metal and speed drying of the seams. You can lube carb, governor, etc. linkages with WD-40 to avoid rusting or the fuzzy aluminum look, but that leaves a film on the engine which attracts dust. I use a little white lithium grease on the linkages. Comes in a spray can with a straw tube like carb cleaner. A half second blast is plenty. It doesn't creap awy onto the adjacent areas.

Of course, nothing beats a good ald fashioned steam genny.

WH854

Thanks for the suggestions guys! The engine is a K241AS on A 1981 C-105,

this tractor has been sitting out for I don't know how long. I hooked a battery

to the starter It spins over good enough, but will not turn over using the key

start. Could be solenoid,bad wireing I will have to clean everything up some.

Iwill try some of your suggestions :USA::banghead:

:horseplay:

Chas From Butler Pa :omg:

Electro12WH

If you have the engine out of the tractor or don't care about the finish use oven cleaner. It will remove everything!

bitten

I just use brake cleaner. I have very good luck with it.

bambooheels

at auto zone they have PURPLE POWER i love it works great spray on wait 10 minutes and wash off, i use a heated power washer which makes it even better.

HorseFixer

Any good engine cleaner works if you can get hot water that works the best with it!

Duke

jerrell

:banghead: hey chas, with a kohler engine, they do not like water, in saying that if you stay away from the points, coil, and flywheel area you got it made, i got a degreaser(can't remember the name) 1 gal. from Harbor Freight, 4.95 . it's concetrated and you use a 1/2 cup to a gal of water, i use a spray bottle and this stuff works great and won't eat the paint, but does leave streaks on paint, i just wash the whole durn thing and wash the tractor down good when finished,,,jerry

Stigian

WD40 and an old T-shirt work for me..

Quite good for hand cleaning too :banghead:

HorseFixer

I was playing around yesterday and used some A/C Condensor coil cleaner on the 701 I just got! It worked fantastic this tractor was loaded with grease! I used a craftsman pressure washer and it did a great job!

Cheers Duke

66horse

ive been debating on pressure washing my new to me 606. How safe is it on these? Not much electrical to worry about on mine :hide: lol but just curious as to how well the water stays out of the engine and rear end etc? Obviously im not going to spray directly in engine, down the aircleaner or trans seals and not angle under decals lol . Thats how i take unwanted stickers/graphics off of the fourwheelers.

I use superclean and pressure washer on my quads and trucks. I wouldnt leave it sit on painted surface very long though.

Butch

Superclean? Is that the purple stuff from Castrol? If it is

you better be careful with paint. I love the stuff but found out

the hard way about it's strength.