Ken B

The 420 LSE

Zeek

Nice freakin seat  :wicked:

I'd be finding a way to get that bad boy in the living room . . . add cup holder, flick on TV  :coffee:

• Like 3

wh500special

Wow, nice!

It's funny that you mentioned $700 for the seat, Ken. I recall distinctly that Ed from Toro said the seat alone on the 420's was $700 when they built them new back in '86.

The seat on mine shows the 300-ish hours of mowing it accumulated. Still looks good, but not like yours.

Great job on this tractor!

Incidentally, an earlier post mentioned there might be as many as 226 of these built. Ed looked it up before he retired and confirmed that only 200 serial numbers were issued. So the total was one prototype that I believe toro has in storage and exactly 200 production units.

Steve

• Like 1

Cutlas3391

So here is the finished seat. You can tell from the before pics that this one really needed to be redone. The guy that I had do the work is an absolute Old world craftsmanship professional, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I was able to do some bartering etc. so I got a fantastic deal but if one was to just walk in the door and want this done you'd be looking at somewhere in the area of 700 bucks. So... to the guys that own a 420 you better make sure you take care of your seat and use a good quality conditioner on it. I'm also having a seat cover made for it for when I'm hauling the tractor in case it rains (and to protect it from the sun) and just in case a bird decides to poop on it..I really haven't stopped detailing this tractor since the day I got it, it has no doubt come a long way. Now that there is nice soft leather on the seat it is much more comfy!

DSCN2458_zps27951d6c.jpg

DSCN2457_zpsa6640e13.jpg

DSCN2456_zps2658eb3e.jpg

DSCN2459_zpsf27862a2.jpg

Looks awesome

stevebo

I get dibs on a ride at the bid show with a big cigar !!

Ken B

But of course....

buckrancher

beautiful job Ken looks fantastic

Brian

JimmyZ

Looks absolutely Fantastic!

papaglide

Man...very sharp.

Vinylguy

Wow Ken, That is beautiful. I tried a couple times to do a set of decals for you with no luck at all but the originals on yours look very very good. I agree with everyone else on keeping it as is.

About 3 years ago I went through a whole roll of chrome and laminate and got 2 sets that were just OK. not perfect. I gave them to a friend who was making a backup spare hood for his.

Cant wait to see yours at the show this summer.

• Like 1

Martin

Ken, seat looks very nice, actually the whole tractor looks very nice....

Well done keeping it in its original clothes as much as possible. I think you did well reviving one that hadn't had the best of care in its 'past life'. Like you said about others looking after their seats, weathered paint can be brought back, but when the seat looks like yours did, the only way out is to do what you did. Definitely finishes it off while keeping the look 'oem'......

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

PaulC

The sweeter you make that baby the more the envy builds!! awesome tractor Ken and great job that you're doing on it. although I wish it were mine im glad to see its in the hands of someone who truly appreciates it. it seems you have been in this a long time too so its well deserved.

VinsRJ

WOW! What a difference Ken... looks amazing!

AMC RULES

:text-woo: Like the captains chair on the Enterprise, right there Ken.     :eusa-clap:

Hodge71

That whole tractor is simply amazing Ken...You are an amazing detailer...Youk a nice tractor and made and gorgeous machine!!.....  And the leather work on that seat is nothing less than stellar...That man is a craftsman 

grnlark

Love it!

Dan Matz jr

Very nice! I'd leave it!!

Dan Matz jr

Cable, when is the WHCC show and where?

Brrly1

Hey Ken, I bet you would like to know where #1 is at!! I believe there might be an auction later this year. The story goes he had #2 for awhile and then #1 became available thru Toro and he snagged it. Don Fisher who owned Jones Wheel Horse was the owner who passed away here a few years back. He had quite the Oliver collection, well worth a couple of million that was sold last year. I believe the Wheel Horse's will be the next to go. Rumor has it his brother in law still has #2. I'll let you know how the auction goes after it happens.LOL

• Like 2

marvairplanes

John,

Don had both #1 and #2 at the 2006 Constantine, Mi show. They were a big "hit", but really nothing compared to the display of his collection of Wheel Horse related collectible items...bet it will all be sold !

Brrly1

I'm sure it will be well posted when this happens. I myself am hoping to be there, just depending on when?? Saving $$$ as we speak!!!

Edited by Brrly1

Butch

Well, I have wanted one of these for a LONG time and now I finally have one. This 420 was used. It seems like it was at least taken care of mechanically. The oil was full and pretty clean and the air filter was pretty clean as well. The 20 hp Kohler runs excellent with 250 hrs. on it and its pretty friggin fast!. Cosmetically it could be better.. The paint has some chips and scratches here and there as well as the decals being a little scratched and marked up. The seat has a few tears where you sit. Thankfully I work for a leather company with a 60,000 square foot buiding full of leather so matching it up shouldn't be too difficult. The chrome isn't too bad other than the steering wheel. having EVERYTHING rechromed is pretty much out of the question because I'm pretty sure that will put me in the poor house. I'm not too sure on whether to fully restore it or leave it as a survivor.. I know I won't be able to do it this year as I'm hoping to sell my house this spring if all goes well. There just enough enough room in my current garage to properly restore this tractor. Anyway, here is how it has cleaned up since yesterday...

DSCN2403_zps8536816f.jpg

DSCN2406_zpsef7cbf8f.jpg

DSCN2407_zps5f5d3b02.jpg

DSCN2408_zps32afab85.jpg

If you're looking to swap this thing to get your old C-175 back I'd have to think about it.

Ken B

Good one Butch!

squonk

You would think all that chrome would melt some of this snow!  :rolleyes:  :)