jeff lary

wheel Horse 312-8 snowblower not lifting high enough

jeff lary

Hi I am having an issue with my blower not lifting high enough. It will lift 5/8 of an inch max. I do use the lift assist spring, I am in the top hole of the lift point with my flag pin. I do have some washers on the shaft acting as spacers. I am embarrassed to admit I have had this set up since new back in 95. Every few years this happens and I can never remember what to do to solve it ! I guess I have a very poor memory. My blower manual says  for models 79360-7900001 I hope that helps? The blower is out in the pole barn I can go get the actual number on it I guess if I have to. My son helped me put the cab on today and I complained that it ( blower) was not lifting very high. He said yea didn't that happen a few years ago? what did we do to fix it??? So I guess his memory is bad as well ha ha. If you have some ideas what may be causing this please sing out ! thanks Jeff

Ed Kennell

Move the flag pin down 1 hole to increase length of the stroke of the lift rod.

• Like 1

jeff lary

Ok I can try that ,so not the top of the 3 available holes but the middle of the three right. As I am in the top right now , I know I have had this happen before and somehow cured it. At least for a season. Jeff

sorekiwi

My memory is also bad, and I havent mounted up my blower this year, so I could be off on this....

But I thought the flag goes into the top hole on the lift arm (as you have it)  I seem to remember trying it in the middle hole and the thing was just way too heavy to lift.

When the blower is resting on the ground is there a lot of clearance between the lift tube and the flag?  On my blower I use about 4 washers plus a piece of tube about 1 1/2" long.  I am reasonably sure that my lift tube was shortened at some stage though, probably so it would fit on my B80.

jeff lary

Well according to what I have always done and the manual, yes mine is in the top hole. But I am willing to try something different but it wont be till later this week. Now as for the space between the Flag and the lift tube , I am not sure of the exact amount of room available. I know I have  some...4-5 washers in there now. Is there a rule of thumb? that any available space should be filled with spacers/ washers ? If so I can look into that too. Jeff

chazm

If you go to Tractor Supply & get a 3/4 collar will work ,That's what I used . Only a couple of $$  ... :handgestures-thumbupright:

jeff lary

Yea spacers are not a problem I have a bunch.  like I asked if I fill all avail space with something washers pipe collar ect... will the blower get lifted higher ?

Ed Kennell

For sure Jeff, if  the lift tube is not the correct length or shimmed to the correct length with spacers and washers,  you will not be using the full length of the lift lever stroke no matter which hole you use for the flag pin.

jeff lary

Winner Winner chicken dinner !!! That is what I was wondering. Last year now I remember the spacers had fallen off the tube into the pail I keep it in. I could not remember how many were on there so we put on 3-4 of them. That turned out not to be enough so I put on more and it did lift higher. Funny how now I can remember all that but could not earlier today. So my next trip out I will go ahead and mount the flag in the top hole and see how much room remains . For instance,.. If there is 2 1/4 inch's of slack I will cut me a piece of 3/4 pipe about 2 3/16 and slip in on and try it.

Digger 66

Winner Winner chicken dinner !!! 

:laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

jeff lary

You like that hua ? Well I ain't too bright but I do like to laugh. Thanks to all involved,.. now if I end up with piece of 3/4 pipe or washers in an unwanted orifice I will not blame anyone. Have a Merry Christmas all. Jeff 

• Like 2

sorekiwi

Just a heads up - too many washers or spacers and it will lift too high.  I'm thinking the lift tube hits the grease zerk on the front axle if you go too far

jeff lary

Ok I will keep an eye on that thanks !

jeff lary

Up date,

Broken stuff or stuff that does not work correctly drives me nuts so this afternoon it took the shafts apart. I was not planning on doing anything till middle of the week, so much for that.

I had 2 -1/8 thick washers on it and it would only lift the blower off the ground 5/8 of an inch. Then I went to 4 washers no real improvement. So I cut a piece of pipe with the same id as the flag shaft, I cut it 2 1/2 long that was too long and I could not get the little stud through the hole in the lift tube assembly. So I cut it back to 2 inch's and tried that. Still too long So I ended up with a piece about 3/4 of and inch long with a 1/8 " thick washer on each end of the pipe or close to 1" all told maybe a little more. The blower will lift now about 5 inch's off the hot top. Now to just use it and see if it works as it should. If It works good all winter then when I take it off this spring I will weld the pipe and washers together so it is one solid spacer. Then I will wear it around my neck so I do not forget it next year !

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

I will weld the pipe and washers together so it is one solid spacer. Then I will wear it around my neck so I do not forget it next year !

:text-yeahthat:  Or wire tie it to the flag, lift spring ,and lift rod.  :laughing-rofl:

jeff lary

I guess it would be a poor excuse for bling hua? probably your idea is better.

• Like 1

chevrat68

I just put a large nut between two washers