Horse46

Starter issues

gwest_ca

The best way to make sure the points are working properly is to connect a test light to the - side of the coil. With point closed the light should light. points open light should be off

Other way around.

With point closed the light should be off. Points open light should be on.

Reason being the points and wire to the coil (-) should be grounded when the points are closed and making a good connection = no resistance (good spark)

A poor point connection = low resistance and can give you a poor light or insufficient coil secondary output (poor spark)

No point contact when closed = high resistance and light on or no coil secondary output (no spark)

This is using the tractor's battery power to power the light.

A self powered test light with no battery power to the coil will give you the results you stated if connected correctly.

Garry

Horse46

This might sound like daft question but does the points cover have to be on for them to work, like a distributor cap on a multi cylinder, or is it just a cover?

gwest_ca

It's just a cover to keep the dirt and moisture out. You can actually adjust the points with the engine running if you use a timing light. The point gap adjustment determines the spark timing. The mounting screw is loosen just enough to allow a screw driver in the adjustment notches to make the changes.

Garry

Horse46

First up, lets have the good news...the :wh: . :woohoo:  :happy-bouncygreen: she runs  :grin:   :grin:  :grin:  

Thank you thank you thank you, to every one who has helped me get to the bottom of my starting issue. I was begining to think I would have to get outside help and hang my head in shame.

Thanks to you guys I have learnt a bit along the way, and made a few essential tools as well.

Please take a bow, you have been awesome!

Right what can I mess up next  :ychain:

Horse46

Oh I forgot to say what I did to get her going.

All I did was clean the points with the brown colour sand paper, I did a retest at the points and got 080.08 volts which isn't zero but it was enough for me to feel heartened. 

I then went through my starting procedure and she went to fire right off the bat, but then when I put full choke on she just seemed to stop firing. So I whipped out the plug and give it a quick burn off with a blow lamp as it was soaked in fuel, and tried again with no choke at all, and  she just fired right up.

So the problem was a dirty set of points, probably done by me thinking I was cleaning them with micro mesh.

The coil and starter soleniod are all good.

I reality what I (WE) achieved, was to make good all my earth points, stripped the starter to find that the bolt on the end had come loose (twice) and found my safety on the PTO works fine. :eusa-doh:

I now also have a base knowledge of what to try if I have starting issues in the future. :grin:  :grin:  :grin: