Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

c165 revs out of control

rustyoldjunk

i was using a new to me c165 for the first time today hauling frames and parts to the back storage area getting my shop cleaned up some for winter when it suddenly reved of of control and and too high,like the govenor turned loose i had to throttle it down nearly all the way to get it to idle down but if i completely idle it down it just dies.i checked the govenor linkage and it seems fine.started it back up and right past redline it goes again.could the govenor have came loose on the inside? any other ideas?

TT

Take the air cleaner cover off, open the choke, and make sure the throttle plate is still fastened to the throttle shaft with both little screws.

If it is still where it should be, remove the main jet needle from the top of the carburetor and make sure the end isn't broke off.

If that checks out, remove the governor arm from the shaft and see how far you can turn the shaft. If it spins completely around without resistance, the "paddle" is broke off the shaft and you will need to replace the shaft assembly. (requires engine / oil pan removal) If the governor shaft will only turn a little before stopping, reinstall the arm and reset per the instructions in the Kohler K series manual.

rustyoldjunk

thanks.sorry i put the question in the wrong area.

rustyoldjunk

turned out to be the throttle shaft worn completely out.if i leave it choked i can run it but unchoke it and the rpms go silly.i dont think i have ever seen a throttle shaft worn this bad.