Hammerhead

Problem with my Automatic WH jumping forward while mowing?

Hammerhead

I am trying to sell my 1971 Charger 12 hp with auto trans. The buyer came by to test drive it and noticed it picked up speed while he was mowing. He is buying it for his wife to mow with and said that may freak her out if it picks up speed on her. I drove it and it barely picked up speed when I drove it and only did it with the blades engaged. We rebuilt the drive handle mechanism earlier and thought we had it fixed. We replaced the plastic piece on the lever drive system and thought it was ok. Anybody have this problem and fixed it somehow? I need to sell the tractor and now he wants me to fix the problem before he takes it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance...Keith

Geno

The tension on the spring under the center console may not be tight enough allowing it to speed up.   :)

Callen

What Geno said and check the bolt that locks the pivot shaft down on the side of the hoodstand. Also check to see if hoodstand is tight on the frame.

pfrederi

From Electro manual

post-1023-0-04846400-1417270943.jpg

post-1023-0-68261300-1417270955.jpg

post-1023-0-87348100-1417270964.jpg

Callen

Also, check your transmission mounting plate for cracks.

Hammerhead

Thanks a lot guys! I will try to adjust it today and hope it works. I am selling it for $700.00 and I could

really use the money for bills!

KyBlue

Know that feeling...  Hope it fixes it for you

RMCIII

Nothing really to worry about. Just probably excited knowing it is going to another good home!

Rob

Nathanielperz

Also, check your transmission mounting plate for cracks.

My 1276 had cracks in the mounting plate. The transmission was very low on transmission fluid when I brought it to my house.... The tailgate on the truck was down and it kind of rolled out of the back when my grandpa had to stop suddenly.... Pretty scary but at the same time hilarious! The trailer hitch took a pretty big chunk out of my driveway! Then it kind of bounced and rolled into the grass...

smoreau

From Electro manual

I installed this in my 875! I replaced the plastic slide when restoringit and it woud always jump forward on me. The new slide didn't help and it did it on a trailer for me with me on it. NOT FUN! I had a 69 charger that I parted out to save 3 other tractors and that was left over. After instillation in the 875 (not original) it is SO MUCH SAFER!! It is now a pleasure to drive and the lever now stays were i put it! Had to make some very minor modifications to the tractor tunnel, but well worth the modification!

• Like 1