allensmall

Help attaching snowblower to my 310-8

allensmall

This summer I bought an 86 310-8 and it came with a mower deck and a blower.  The only information that I can see on the blower is model 6-6211.  For some reason even after reading whats seemed like hundreds of posts on here I'm having a hard time figuring out how to correctly attach the blower. I've been working on trying to get it on the last 2 nights and have spend way too many hours trying to figure it out.  

After reading the posts on here I believe I have figured out the routing for the belt but it just seems like it is way too tight.  After attaching the blower to the front of the tractor I had to have a second person lift the blower up in the air just to get enough slack in it to get it on the PTO.  That didn't seem right to me but even after getting it on, the blower sits cocked and is no longer fully engaged on the front of the tractor.  It seems to me like something if off with the belt but I just can't figure it out.  The belt is a 70" belt and from what I've been able to piece together seems like it's the correct length but now I'm questioning if it's really the correct belt or not.  

I've got a couple pictures showing the belt routing and how it's cocked after I get the belt on.  I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious but at this point I really have no idea what to do.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

post-13891-0-81814200-1417095887_thumb.j

post-13891-0-42960800-1417095908_thumb.j

Martin

i think you have an issue with the belt. heres my belt routing on the one im setting up right now. wh 9750 belt, when you look at mine your belt looks short.....

this is the best pic i have right now but you can click it to make it bigger....

aftermarket or wheelhorse belt?

post-4321-0-74106000-1417101435_thumb.jp

Martin

just looking at your pics and the one of mine, i think your attaching bracket is too long for that belt length. look where your rear idler is compared to mine. yours is forward of the hood, mine is back along side the hood.

post-13891-0-42960800-1417095908_thumb.j

your attaching frame doesn't look right here. i don't have much experience with the model number blower you have and will go research it to see what its for, but the basic frame hasn't changed very much at all for the 'attach a matic' tractors. heres how mine looks. yours looks like somebody has modified it. note how you have a welded bar right where the pivot for the belt tensioner holes in the frame are. also your bar that goes in the attach a matic is a loose piece where the frames were welded.....

post-4321-0-29588100-1417102257_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin

gwest_ca

Since this is an older snowthrower the bolt that you have in the quick hitch should go through the tractor frame about 2" from the front of it. The round bar that goes into the quick hitch is welded to the snowthrower frames on the models that use the quick hitch and I think it is 5/8" in diameter.

The old style bolt used a bushing on each end because the frame holes are larger than the bolt. I don't know if your tractor can use this setup but try it. It may work. The normal belt is 5/8" x 69" but again that might not apply in this application. 

If that does not work for you someone can get you the measurements and drill the frames at the correct length so you can use a 5/8" round bar in the quick hitch.

Garry

• Like 1

Martin

that does look like a modified early frame Garry. i can give some measurements if you want to modify this one correctly to suit your tractor set up, allensmall.

PaulC

I picked up a newer style tall chute blower that had this attachment setup? I duplicated what I had on my other blower so it now looks like martins but it did come with a 69" belt. I think you could make that setup work though?

It is a 5/8 bar for the front attachment point so either bush the ends or maybe replace the smaller rod you have with some 5/8 threaded rod and just nut both ends

Then I think if you move the pulleys to the hole closer to the tractor you'll be able to get the belt setup right. The v groove pulley should hit the front axle when the belt is not on the tractor. And the belt should be pretty tight. I thought the belt on mine was to short at first also but then I measured it and it was 69". Stretched it and got it on and it works perfect.

Good luck and keep us posted once you get it setup it should do a great job moving snow for u. Paul

Martin

just to add on the belt installation, I've found it easiest to do it in this order.....

belt around drive pulley on blower,  through guide and v idler. around pto cone. lastly pull belt up over the top of flat idler.

• Excellent 1

ericj

that blower is meant to bolt into frame instead of in the quick attach. thus the arms on the blower frame are longer and causing your belt to be short. i adapted an older blower over onto my C120 years ago and ran into a similar problem as you. i had a 5/8" or 3/4" can't remember which, rod made and drilled and tap on both ends and bolted it into the frame and then put a lot longer belt on it. if i had it to do over again i would try bolting it through the frame 1st to make belt fit, if not try putting a larger bar in the frame to fit the quick attach and then lengthen the belt 

eric j

• Like 1

allensmall

ericj, I looked a bit closer and I now see the holes in the frame that you are talking about.  I moved the blower back a bit to use the holes but the flat bar that is welded between the arms appears to be in the way.  In other words hit hits the front attachment point.  I found the manual for the blower online and obviously that was before the tractor had that front attachment point and you can clearly see that it was designed to go through the frame to attach it to the tractor.  I'm not quite sure what to do now.  I was almost ready to cut that bar out or something. Thoughts?  I really appreciate the help from everybody.  I'm at my wits end with this thing. 

post-13891-0-21946900-1417211841_thumb.j

post-13891-0-87999000-1417212020_thumb.j

• Like 1

wallfish

Remove the Tach a matic hitch or drill 2 new holes in the arms so it fits in the hitch.

• Like 1

Martin

the tach a matic holds the axle pivot pin at the front so you can't really remove it. you could cut the ears off and remove all the rods etc.

i think that drilling holes in the arms of the snowblower frame, fitting the correct size bar for the tach a matic and cutting and modifying the ends (or better still getting the correct part ) is the best way to deal with this.

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

Geno

I think Martin has a good idea.  It will also be nice that you will be able to take it off and put it on in just a few minutes.   :)

ericj

i guess that why i did it the way i did and made a new bar and longer belt din't remember that bar hitting the quick attach when i wrote my response, but now that you mention it i do somewhat recall that. so i look at it this way you could modify your tractor to fit blower but i wouldn't do that because then other attachments won't work on it. you can do as i did and make the bar and lengthen the belt. or you could check with kelly or one of the vendors on here and see if you can get the later mount and belt tensioner and pulley assembly and change yours over if that is possible i'm not 100% sure if it can be done but i believe so

eric j   

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I would cut the bar out if you have to use it and if you have the bushings for the bolt that goes through the frame or can get the bushings. The bar just holds the arms together. Once the frame is mounted to the tractor that will replace the bar so to speak.

Back in the day this 6-6211 snowthrower came in one package and required a 2nd completing kit to mount it on the tractor. You have kit 6-9111 or 6-9112. The 6-9113 kit is what you need to fit the front quick hitch which was introduced in 1973. We do have the manuals on these kits so you can see the differences.

Another option may be to cut out the bar and drill 5/8" holes at the proper location on the arms for a length of 5/8" round bar. It could be drilled for cotter pins at the correct location to hold it in and it would replace the bar you cut out. What I don't know is the location for the 5/8" holes but I'm sure someone can provide that measurement. I think the arms are long enough to do this. If it works it will still work on a pre-front quick hitch tractor.

Garry 

allensmall

I completely forgot about following up after I got everything working.  I ended up cutting off the bar and attaching the blower through the frame.  It works for now but maybe after I take it off in the spring I will see about modifying it to use the quick disconnect on the front of the tractor.  Thanks again for all the help on this one.