Mr. 856

Tiny Tach....any users?

Mr. 856

Any other users here? I just got one in the mail today for my 856. Can anyone confirm what setting I should be running it at? I tried 720 and 360. They both seem to be giving me odd readings. one is to low so I have to idle it up and at that point it sounds like its running higher then recommended. the other setting is opposite....I have to idel down to the point the idle screw is no longer even making contact. I don't know why but I have this fear of running this engine.......it just sounds so much louder then I remember it being prior to the rebuild. granted its been a a few years since ive heard it run. At 3000rpm according the tach this thing sounds like its ripping. I don't want to blow her up. Not to sound like an idiot but does a 4cyl single spark every rotation?

• Like 1

formariz

I have used three TinyTachs to date and I am disappointed with most of them.

First they use a battery which is not replaceable. Depending on how long it has been sitting unsold, once you get it it's life may be very short. If it's main function was to keep track of an engine hours such as in one of my cases then it's useles because eventually it will die.

Second, for a Kohler k series engine you need to buy a special one since the Kohler only fires on every other revolution so that one needs to be dedicated to such an engine. Eventually it will perish.

Third, the newer ones now are adjustable or programmable to the engine such as the Kohler K series. I am not a total idiot with these things and I have never been able to get it to read correct on any engine. Either always too low or too high which seems to be your case.

For a product which is relatively expensive they just have too many shortcomings.

I believe that I recently saw knockoffs of it on eBay which were rather cheap and the battery was replaceable. Personally I will not buy any again.

• Like 1

Mr. 856

I was afraid I wasted $45. Ohwell I guess its time to now invest in a real rpm reader. I guess if your looking to get it close this tiny tach may work. but close for me isn't good enough. I want to know for dam sure im not over revving this thing to the point of potential damage. thanks for the feedback!

motox25

I almost bought one for a tractor that didn't have an rpm meter on which i needed to set the idle and confirm the high speed was correct. I ended up using a light gun style meter using reflective tape on the blower fan, sure it doesn't let me frequently check my rpm at a glance but it's accurate and did the job.

formariz

I almost bought one for a tractor that didn't have an rpm meter on which i needed to set the idle and confirm the high speed was correct. I ended up using a light gun style meter using reflective tape on the blower fan, sure it doesn't let me frequently check my rpm at a glance but it's accurate and did the job.

I eventually also got that type for about 15.00. Easy to use and acurate. Too bad that those tiny tachs are not what they advertised to be because i really like to have a working tachometer and hour meter on all my tractors and that size tach is very easy to install in a variety of places in these tractors. Still searching for a small analogue tach that i could fit on most of them.

Mr. 856

if you find one let is know!