callum12

in your opinion, differences between garden tractor and lawn tractor

callum12

Hi all,

I've heard a lot of people saying that the A-800 is a lawn tractor, i'm not here to challenge that view but i'd just like to know in your own opinion what defines a garden tractor and a lawn tractor?  this is assuming both have removed decks and no further modifications. 

would it have something to do with engine size? or the physical size of the machine? 

and just as a little side note (not worth starting a whole new thread), does the snow plough and other accessories fit the A-800? i'd imagine this could play a part in deciding that the A-800 is indeed a lawn tractor.

i'll be interested to hear your views,

Callum

rustyoldjunk

It really has no more to do with opinion then what is the difference between a car and a pick up truck. A GT is a ground engaging tractor built heavier duty and a LT is built heavy duty enough to mow the lawn.

• Like 1

Ken B

When I think lawn tractor the first thing that always comes to mind is that most are vertical shaft. At least the tractors we are interested in...

Geno

What comes to mind for me is a Lawn tractor is made for nothing more than lawn type duties, a Garden tractor is made for more serious duty like pulling garden type equipment.   :)

• Like 2

KC9KAS

I agree with the above comments, but I will add my take on this.

Garden tractors have rear wheels mounted on hubs (like an auto) where lawn tractors usually (I said usually) have the wheels mounted directly on the axle with a key-way & key. Not intended for "heavy" work.

motor12

What comes to mind for me is a Lawn tractor is made for nothing more than lawn type duties, a Garden tractor is made for more serious duty like pulling garden type equipment.   :)

I'm of the same opinion, lawn light duty, garden heavy duty

• Like 1

rmaynard

Just my 2 cents worth. If your Wheel Horse has a pressed metal frame, it's a lawn tractor.

• Like 2

47JDG

I agree with everyone. To answer your second question simply look up a picture of a B-80 WH (for example) and compare that with a picture of your A-800. You will immediately notice a lot of differences. Like what was already said the first thing I notice is the vertical shaft engine on the A-800, as compared to the horizontal shaft engine on the B-80. Next look at the frame construction between the two. You will immediately notice it's of much heavier duty strength than that of your A-800. (angle iron as opposed to a stamped steel pan). Your A-800 is certainly capable of plowing snow, and they did make an attachment for it, but the other snow plows and ground engaging equipment that are universally compatible (for the most part) with the garden tractors are not going to work on your A-800 lawn tractor. My advice? It sounds like you want a "real" garden tractor so you can plow snow, etc. Look for a nice used one with the attachments included that you want and forget about the A-800 (unless it has some kind of sentimental value or something to you). You will then have a real garden tractor and you can sell your A-800 or just keep it to ride around on and enjoy. 

callum12

thanks for all your views, some one mentioned wheels mounted directly onto the axles, but my A-800 has got hubs. it also has a 10hp engine rather than the standard 8hp. i think it is one of the earliest models of the A-800, so perhaps they went 'between the two' with the early ones?? 

Callum

Tankman

"A" series, mow 'd lawn.

"C" Horses, plow the earth, push snow or mow.

OK tractor professors, I was lead to believe (long ago) a lot about the tractor is known by the designated letter; i.e.: A, B, C, D, and so on.

For all around "home" use, "garden tractor."

Back in the early 70's, in my 20's then, always looked at the number of lug nuts on pick 'em up trucks.

A five-lug, easy does it. Eight-lug, a pickup truck! Grandsons look at GT wheels, no-lugs no-go.

Unknowingly, I purchased a '70 F-100 new. Sold it in a couple of months. Replaced with an F-250, 10 ply 17" tires on split rims, 11,100 GVW. That was a truck!

1st tractor, a Craftsman, new. Lasted a month or two, sold it and replaced it with an 8 hp Wheel Horse. That was a garden tractor, mowed, pushed snow, plowed my garden. That was 'round '71, lost interest in all other brand of tractors, only Stallions for me, my sons, my grandsons, "Ride 'em cowboys!"   :laughing-rofl: 

Don't you chuckle watchin' folks at Home Cheapo or Lowes lookin' and buyin' "tractors?"

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

callum12

even if the a-800 isn't the most desirable horse ever, the build quality is outstanding, cast front axle, proper gauge body work ( not tin foil or plastic) and every thing feels made to last. the only thing i don't like is the steering wheel.

a great example of this quality in action is when my neighbour offered me a 1990's ride-on mower (wouldn't even call it a lawn tractor). anyway, it was only used in the summer to mow an average garden to warrant a ride-on, it was stored in a dry, insulated workshop over winter. yet by the time it was offered to me (last year) the deck was rusted though, engine had some valve failure, all body work cracked (all plastic) gear lever seemed to be an item of decoration etc etc! needless to say i kindly said "i think i'll hold on for a trusty steed to crop up" soooo glad i did!!

Callum