Digger 66

Cracked & dry hands

Geno

If I would care for them as a wound it would be kerosene, I keep a jar in the shop and one in the house.  :)

That article also mentions gloves, interesting, I know someone I won't mention that puts lotion on her feet in the winter and wears socks while sleeping.  Makes them very soft.  :hide:

Trouty56

I have some ATF that was left over from years ago that is type F....when I have greasy dirty hands I use about a tablespoon and keep rubbing my hands....rag it off and clean as a whistle....little soap washes off the remaining oil....not only cleans but really helps the dryness.....

• Like 1

RMCIII

Bob - If you can even find the product anymore, doubt it. I found a bottle about 10 years ago. Unopened. Still worked great for anything. Oil-O-Sol. The healing properties in that stuff are off the chart. It is not made anymore, you just have to find someone, that may have some of it still in a glass bottle. My dad and grandad use to have the dry cracking of their hands like you describe. Oil-O-Sol was the only thing that would work for them.

Rob

craigbic

Been using super glue in the cracks for immediate relief, especially in the cracks I get at the corners of my thumbnails which hurt like a son of a gun! Happens nearly constantly during the winter. I've been thinking about using O'Keeffes Working Hands just because sometimes my entire hands get chapped and cracked and super gluing my entire hands seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I love my tractor but I don't want to be glued to it.

rmaynard

Oil-O-Sol...Well there is one that I haven't tried yet. I will have to do a search.

Super glue I have tried, but though it does seal up the cracks and splits, it has no healing or preventive power.

• Like 1

JimD

I don't think you'll find any glowing reports in your search of Oil-O-Sol, Bob. :eusa-doh:

Trouty56

From a forum.....don't know what makes up the last .04%.....be creative I guess.....

swane says:
May 26, 2007 at 2:05 pm

Oli-O-Sol, That is some GREAT stuff.
Ive used it on sunburns ,cuts,scratches anything.
I still have a original bottle.
I use to only be able to get it at a pharmacy here in Michigan.
Ive called the compnay and they no longer make it.(To Bad)…
But the contents here does not have anything to bad in it according to the label.
Ive even went to a natural store and bought the ingerdeents nad made my own batch.
Heres what they are according to the label.
Active Ingredents:
Corn Oil 52%
Castor Oil 40.8%
Camphor Oli 6.5%
and Hexylresorcinol 0.1%( ok I didnt add this one) I may be the one one that other guy was talking about..
(all % shown are WT./WT.)
But my recipe I followed worked for me…
Good luck all you OIL-O-SOL users

Edited by Trouty56
  • Like 1

JimD

Trouty, here is what I saw about it that prompted my earlier post:

"This stuff contained Linseed Oil (a known skin irritant), Oil of Turpentine ((Mucous membrane and eye irritant. Harmful if inhaled) , Camphor Oil (also an irritant), Oil of Spearmint, and Eucalptus."

And here is a link to the site where I found it: (scroll down a bit)

http://www.zzz.com.ru/index.php?area=articles&action=show_article&article_id=190&session_id=0

I suppose if those ingredients Mentioned here only make up >04% it may not be a big deal. This site doesn't give percentages so who knows? Do you have a link to the forum you found? I may have to post a "stand corrected" reply here. :eusa-think::)

rmaynard

Jim, have you looked to see what the side effects are of some of the prescription medicines you take? I read the accompanying paperwork that I got with a recent script and the side effects were worse than the ailment it was prescribed for. :auto-ambulance:  Sometimes I believe the old time remedies really are better than the new stuff. My mother used to give me Elixer of Turpen-hydrate and Codeine for coughs when I was young. Worked better than any over-the-counter elixers today.

Trouty56

Jim.....it was just a google search....I read the info that you posted also.......where i copied this from was more like comments to an article about the product.....all positive comments however.....

• Like 1

JimD

Jim, have you looked to see what the side effects are of some of the prescription medicines you take? I read the accompanying paperwork that I got with a recent script and the side effects were worse than the ailment it was prescribed for. :auto-ambulance:  Sometimes I believe the old time remedies really are better than the new stuff. My mother used to give me Elixer of Turpen-hydrate and Codeine for coughs when I was young. Worked better than any over-the-counter elixers today.

Oh heck no Bob. I purposely don't want to know the side effects of my meds. I might realize I don't feel normal. :teasing-tease::ROTF:

• Like 1

RMCIII

While the individual properties of each ingredient may create some undesired affects. Mixed correctly in the Oil-O-Sol, it heals like I have never seen before. That includes cuts that needed stiches, but we would only use Oil-O-Sol, place some butterfly stiches over the gash, and within 48hrs, it would be healed better than if you had went and gotten stiches and had a hospital bandage over it.  My dad use to butcher in the winter time and he had more gashes on his hands and arms from knives and bones than one could possibly imagine. He stopped going to the hospital when it needed stiches and would just have mom fix him up with Oil-O-Sol and butterfly bandages.No kidding, that stuff is AMAZING.

Rob