snowmoboyle

1997 vs 1989 520H

snowmoboyle

Any major differences between the two? Have a 89, got a chance at a 97 - -  1100 hours on the 97, I have 900 on the 89.

89 has cab, and two stage blower purchased new together

97 has cab, and two stage blower purchased new together.

Neither has a mower deck, still working on that lol. Both have chains, 89 has fluid filled tires.

97 does need a battery, and a throttle cable.

Thanks for any input - I appreciate it!

Edited by snowmoboyle

daveoman1966

97 has hyd lift & motion lever on steeriong column.

pm being sent

zieg72

The 97 has a stronger hydro, forward swept axle and gear reduction steering and wider 8.5" rear rims

Edited by zieg72

Theroundhousernr

The 97 has a stronger hydro, forward swept axle and gear reduction steering and wider 8.5" rear rims

Would sure like to know what makes it a stronger hydro? I thought an eaton 1100 was an eaton 1100. Only difference was in gearing in the HC models and the workhorses?  Sorry if it sounds sarcastic, just the way texts comes across.  I would like to know for my own reference.

Thanks

bmsgaffer

He might have meant stronger because of the gearing.

When you change the gearing so your top speed goes from 7 down to 5mph then you have increased your maximum torque by that much through the whole range.

So stronger as in more torque hitting the ground, not necessarily longer lasting or anything like that.

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

zieg72

He might have meant stronger because of the gearing.

When you change the gearing so your top speed goes from 7 down to 5mph then you have increased your maximum torque by that much through the whole range.

So stronger as in more torque hitting the ground, not necessarily longer lasting or anything like that.

That is what I meant, I sure didn't mean to ruffle any feathers  :hide:

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

But wouldn't a 520h from 89 be geared the same as a 97, unless it was a 520hc? No feathers ruffled just trying to get things straight.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

But wouldn't a 520h from 89 be geared the same as a 97, unless it was a 520hc? No feathers ruffled just trying to get things straight.

You may be on to something... It I know all the C series with the eatons had the 7mph top speed... the later ones my knowledge gets a little fuzzy. Zieg?

Edited by bmsgaffer

Theroundhousernr

I pretty sure they where geared down unlike the later c series where. If i was home i could check some parts manuals.

zieg72

My 92 was a whole lot faster than my 97.  I ran them side by side down the driveway when I had them both.  To make sure I compared reverse which was comparable in speed with the 92 a hair faster....  I checked the linkages, nothing different that I could see so I made that assumption that the newer ones were beefed up some. 

Theroundhousernr

Looking at the parts manuals now. Not sure I see anything different other then the gearing in the 520h and 520hc. I thinks its the same in 97..... Still looking. ...

bmsgaffer

I know the swept axle was available WITHOUT the gear reduction steering on the HC's at some point. Gear reduction + swept axle on all models after 91.

There were differences in the gauges, and chrome and such too.

zieg72

Looking at the parts manuals now. Not sure I see anything different other then the gearing in the 520h and 520hc. I thinks its the same in 97..... Still looking. ...

Or could a HC unit be under my 92 and I didn't know it???  I have had a bunch of 520H's but never had 2 at a time side by side running them down the driveway.  I also have never owned a 520HC...

bmsgaffer

520 drag races!

• Like 1

Geno

We can do that at the Spring meet + greet here Brandon.   :handgestures-thumbsup:    The 89 I had that KyBlue bought was way faster than my 91 and 93, no comparison. 

shallowwatersailor

There are two different sheave/pulley part numbers which could explain the difference in top speed. The variance is going to be small though. The belt number is the same but the idler pulley could adjust for the individual application. This would apply to the 1988-1989 models. But with the larger diameter tires on the 1990 +  520-H, it should increase the speed as well.

The HC was sold as a commercial unit and faster speed made it more productive. The additional grease points for a longer service life, and the auxiliary fuel tank was designed for the HC for that reason also.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

JackC

Below are the top speeds on some of the C's and 520's. All have Eaton 1100 Hydros.  In general, newer is slower

These numbers are from the sales brochures:

1984 C-145 top speed 7.1

1984 C-175 top speed 7.1

1984 C-195 top speed 6.6

1988 520HC top speed 7.5

1988 520H top speed 6.4

1994 520H top speed 5.6

1995 520H top speed 5.6

The top speed on the 1980 C's and D's with the Sundstrand Hydros was 6.3. Except for the D Series which continued with the Sundstrand Hydros, 1980 was the last year of the Sundstrand Hydros for the other models and in 1980 there was a mix of Sundstand and Eaton Hydros.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Thanks for that!

I had no idea there were so many different gearing combinations over the years.

ericj

my 73 16 auto is one of the fastest stock tractor that i've driven it a sunstrand hydro. i don't know how many mph it will go but it flat out flies

eric j 

snowmoboyle

Thanks guys - that was fun to read!  I checked out the 97 last night, little too rough to be worth considering it an "upgrade" 

So I'll be sticking with the 89, I'm out of town today but will be coming home on Sunday to around a foot of new snow so I'll get to play in that.  Also, my buddy gave me a yellow rotating beacon light - 12v  - going to impress the neighbor with that (a deere guy)

ericj

more the merrier you can always buy the 97 and have 2 tractors then you have gear reduction steering . your 89 sounded like a better tractor then the 97 but you can never have enough wheel horses :ychain:  :ROTF:

eric j

snowmoboyle

more the merrier you can always buy the 97 and have 2 tractors then you have gear reduction steering . your 89 sounded like a better tractor then the 97 but you can never have enough wheel horses :ychain:  :ROTF:

eric j

Welllll at the point that my finances are in, there was going to be alot of begging pleading borrowing and finagling to make it happen.  I was almost relieved... HA!

ericj

i hear you on the finances. they claim the economy is getting better but it's not in my house lol

eric j 

• Like 1