catcher77

Any Tricks to Getting Head Bolts Out

catcher77

I am cleaning up and painting the Kohler 301 this winter. I was taking out the head bolts and they all came out except 2 ( closest to the exhaust). Is there something I can try to get these out before I break them off or should I just leave well enough alone. Thanks

Tim Bergfeld

I have heated up the head on iron blocks but seems I head not to do it on aluminum or something not sure but pb blaster is my go to for most stuck bolts

sorekiwi

I would drench those bolts in PB Blaster for a few days, and whack the top of them with a hammer every now and again to try to shock them a little bit.  Then a few "Hail Mary's" while I lean on them with a big long bar.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Tim Bergfeld

Lol sorekiwi you cracked me up

Edited by Tim Bergfeld

Tim Bergfeld

I have had luck with pb blaster let sit a day then bump them with a 1/4 impact then repeat I have also brought some threads out with them so it is a crap shoot

Martin

I would drench those bolts in PB Blaster for a few days, and whack the top of them with a hammer every now and again to try to shock them a little bit.  Then a few "Hail Mary's" while I lean on them with a big long bar.

Good Luck!

that seems to work for me too. just don't lean on them too hard,  rock them back and forth a little.... don't get impatient and try and unwind them all the way in one go. once you get them to break free, go back in a little and back out again.

at least with the kohler k series you aren't dealing with aluminum. now thats some fun times.......

• Like 3

Fordiesel69

Snap them off, grind flat, and counter drill them out.  I had a shop do mine during a rebuild. 

Coadster32

A little late now, but when I know I'm going to do a teardown, I run the motor for a bit, shut it down, and try to take out bolts and such while the block is still warm/hot. Other than that...I'd take Mike's advice.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Then, once out, don't forget to use anti-seize on the bolts when reassembling. Even if you never take it apart again, the next owner will thank you.

It's tough to get PB Blaster or any other penetrating oil into the threads of a tight cap bolt. The best thing I found was heat. Put the other bolts back in and torque them up before applying heat to the two tight ones. Otherwise, you may risk damage to the aluminum head.

• Like 1

WH nut

You can also try soaking them and using an air hammer rapped the top of the bolts a few times to work the PB Blaster in and cracking the crude.

Tim Bergfeld

That's why I like the 1/4 " impact it is not enough to break them off and it makes the back and forth easy. If the jam up part of the way soak again with pb blaster and then tighten them back down and back and forth again works 95% of the time for me

• Like 1

catcher77

Update: After 4 days and a 1/2 can of PB Blaster I was able to remove both bolts without breaking them off. Like Martin said take you time. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Donnie

• Like 2