Mr. 856

Blower bearing rebuild.....serviceable bearings?

Mr. 856

I decided it was time to go through the blower that came with the 856 to make sure all is in good working order. it seemed to roll nicely but there was a few issues.

I figured all I would do this year is replace the drive belt, replace the drive shaft bearings and make sure all other parts were free, or broken free and easily removeable in the future should I decide to fully restore it. So today I went ahead and took the drive shaft out and took the bearing flanges off along with the drive sprocket, etc. I couldn't get the pulley off even with a press on the shaft to the point I bent the pulley. Will have to get a new one. Ohwell mistake #1. What I noticed about my bearing flanges that differed from others pictured here was that mine had three pins holding the two flanges together. I couldn't just split them without drilling these pins out. Once opened I was surprised to see this style of bearing setup......or maybe this Is the way they came? In any event I cleaned them both out in the part washer cabinet, blasted them quickly with some soda(was to lazy to switch to anything more aggressive) and got the flanges painted up. Everything else got an oil bath before while I wait for the flanges to dry. So my plan is to just reuse these bearings, but have given them a much needed cleaning, there really wasn't much grease to speek of when I took them apart. they should move better once back together and greased. I don't see a good spot to add a grease fitting or I would. I thought about switching bearings to a 1" with a 3/4" sleave but they done sit in the flanges well. due to the design of this inner setup. 13 balls per "bearing". both seem to be missing one based on the gap I see but then again maybe that's the way they came? in any event this rebuild should certainly get me through this year. I have two hole flanges and the 1" bearings that I may use if these don't work out. Are these "serviceable bearings"?

003_zps9917e8d7.jpg

pins that need removing

005_zps8086ff59.jpg

bearing apart

002_zpsf8a34aa6.jpg

inner bearing

007_zps5771d575.jpg

cleaned parts

Edited by Mr. 856

Mr. 856

Well got the flanges painted up and this morning I put them all back together with some a fresh grease pack and I must say they roll as good as the new set of sealed ones I have. Looks to me like I have "serviceable" bearings on my blower and now everything is free it should be easy enough every few years to just repack them. Was an easy task with good results.

• Like 1