oe espo

520H P220 onan cylinder head leak??

ericj

if it ran before you put the tin on are sure and double checked  sure that you didn't know or leave a wire off ? how about the resister. but if you are getting spark and getting fuel it should start endless the carb is drowning the plugs out causing the no start

eric j 

oe espo

Thanks guys! Definitely a carb issue. Kept playing around with took both pugs out twice blew then dry. Blew the cylinders out flooding like crazy. Cranked her till she started made a few passes done the drive got warm. Smelled raw gas wile driving it!  I had air cleaner off.  Seems like a serious flooding issue.

Shut off and fired right back up hot ( I don't think the plugs were wet yet)  Let is sit till cold cranked and wouldn't start. I opened choke and started raising throttle position and it started to choke sputter then start. I then shut it off. PO didn't have it running. I had the carb top off in Oct nov when I got it but that's before I flushed tank etc. 

So stuck float? Improper setup from PO?  Those brand new plugs are black.  Fuel filer is new and fuel lines new. I didn't however change the pulse hose to the fuel pump. seem like gas was coming out breather hose. Would that be a cause or effect?  Thanks. I'm going to see if something is lodged in the float needle but its not surging??

ericj

i've seen kohlers dump raw fuel out of the carb and all i did was pull the bowl and clean it. it seams that the lovely ethanol fuel that they are selling condensates water raising the float level  causing the flooding. so clean the bowl and see what happen then

eric j 

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Yea that. I don't think you would see fuel coming out the breather. If you did, you would have much bigger trouble. Think it was just splashing out the carb and being blown around by the breather tube.

oe espo

Just came back in, pulled carb top, float, needle, idle jet and power jet. No notice debris found. Holes in idle jet and siphon tube were clear.  Gave everything a blowdown. Ready to re assemble. Not sure what float setting is.  Should check before re assemble. Float is neoprene but didn't feel fuel logged to me??

ericj

it's in the manual, never had to set one myself thank god. when you took it apart how high was the gas level in the bowl, did it seem high ?

eric j 

oe espo

Checked the manual.  Both settings with fuel and without fuel were pretty close to spec. So I didn't mess since I saw the float and needle was $75! Yikes. I remember getting needle and floats for my quadrajets for around $5. Back together, still wouldn't start unless I moved throttle lever up to 1/2 and took to 1/2 choke from full choke now ill have to through settings for throttle and governor. I hope I live to enjoy this machine...

ericj

sounds like you have to pull the carb and clean it real good maybe even in a ultrasonic tank or find a replacement carb to get it running and then rebuild the old one. onan parts. com has a brand new one for $ 189.00 or try to find and take a chance on a used one on flea bay.

eric j 

boovuc

Es Espo,

Check on how you hooked up the throttle cable. I also had drowning of my Onan after I swapped engines last week. When you reconnect the throttle cable, you must turn the throttle lever all the way up with the bolt that tightens the end of the cable loose. Next, pull the governor spring all the way back to the max governor stop and while holding that, tighten that bolt up against the throttle wire.

After I did this which I saw posted on here, my tractor fires right up. Before that, it would flood every single time I tried to start it.

My brother taught school at Dickinson High in New Castle. Nice area!  Good Luck with your 520!

oe espo

Thanks!!  I'm going to checking out the cable etc. tomorrow.  You know sometimes you rush things when you get to the end.  That's what happened to me, I hear it run after valve job and head gaskets. Then I rushed to bolt the motor down and hook everything up. I'll let you know.

oe espo

Well it actually starts now!  Thanks every one. Still have to move the throttle and choke a bit but it fires.  I'll run some fuel thru it and check my settings.

TomM60

Good suggestion 546cowboy. I had the same problem as this guy is having after rebuilding my tractor. First I charged the battery after the no start attempts and it started. Then the next day I went out and tried to start again and it just clunked from the solenoid. Got the meter out and checked voltage and it was low. Went out and bought a new battery and haven't had a problem since.