OhioGuy89

Onan P220 G Flywheel Removal

OhioGuy89

Hi folks, 

I'm doing some work on my 520-H and I am in the process of trying to get the flywheel removed. I have undone all the bolts on it, and I noticed how where it slots onto the shaft, there is a t-notch. Would I be able to just pull the flywheel off, or would I have to use a puller?

Matt

ericj

you have to take the 4 bolts off on the flywheel cover and then take the bolt out of the center and then yes you have to use a puller. they usually come off pretty easy with a puller. the puller bolts into 2 of the 4 bolt hole on the flywheel cover plate hope this helps

eric j 

OhioGuy89

Thanks Eric. I got a puller from Carquest, and when I tried it, the bolt that goes in the center hole didn't seem to work. It was a steering wheel puller, so maybe I need a different size

dennist

I loosen the crank bolt, but make sure you leave it on just a bit, sometimes it pops off and could fall on floor or foot and cost you a new flywheel or band-aid and skin.

oldredrider

Go back to Carquest and get a harmonic balencer puller. That will do the trick. See if they will refund your $ on the steering wheel puller, makes it less painful.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

I have used a harmonic balancer puller on all the Onans I have pulled apart.

• Like 3

boomers_influence

matt

the sheet metal must also be removed.( blower wheel housing )

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )

OhioGuy89

I got it off! The harmonic balancer puller did the trick! Now, is putting it back on a matter of lining things up and pushing it back on? All this just to replace the oil filter housing!

sorekiwi

Glad you got it sorted.

To put the flywheel back on, make sure both the taper and bore are clean and dry (no oil), line up the keyway and put it on.  The nut will seat the flywheel on the taper.  Torque the nut to whatever the manual says (I dont have the manual handy).

OhioGuy89

Ok. That is what I thought! Thanks! Just out of curiosity, what do the four bolts around the center bolt do?

OhioGuy89

Also, Ii noticed a white capped thing that has two wires, a black and a blue one, going to it, and it connected to the oil filter housing by a brass connector, and I'm having trouble getting that off! Any idea  what part that is?

Shuboxlover

Ok. That is what I thought! Thanks! Just out of curiosity, what do the four bolts around the center bolt do?

Those are for if it were mounted in say a John Deere, that's where the drive shaft would bolt to I believe...

ericj

that part with 2 wires is the oil pressure switch and they are a little salty if you break it so be careful. i thought mine threaded into the block not the filter housing. mark the wires as to witch side of the switch they come off there is a little n/c and n/o  normally open and normally closed good luck

eric j