Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Sears/Front End Loader

Rollerman

Cylon...I love it! :D

I see them about every year at the Portland show.

Seem to bring good money...but then anybody there tries to get a premium.

pond195520032003

I might aswell chime in here B) here is a link to one of the sears groups im on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thesearsgard...yguid=155714693 if you go there :o go to the shoto section and click on my album called pond195520032003's pics and you will see all the sears tractors and attachments i have! :o the loader at the top of this thread is a Kwik Way on a sears ss12! the reason i collect them is because the attachments are for the most part alot easier to comeby :o here is a brief list of my attachments for my 69 ss12! Kwikway loader, planter/fertilizer, potato plow, trac vac(tow behind) trac vac(tractor mounted),towable tandem disc, 3pt disc, 3pt garden plow, :D 4000 watt alternator/generator, rear drag blade, mid mount blade, sbow blower, snow cab, 42" sickle bar, 50" sickle bar, rear dump rake, front tote bucket, :o duall wheels, duall wheel adapters, tractor driven lawn roller, :P areator, drop spreader, roto tiller, cultivator, spring harrow, lawn trailer, :( trailer to haul the tractor on when demonstrating, :o gannon eartcavator box blade, wheel weights, rear counter weight , front counter weight, front pto :( 3pt hitch, short handle extension, long handle extension I think there is more some where :( :(

Rollerman

Greg thanks for the info, we talked at the Wapakoneta swap last fall breifly?

Think I was looking over your 1075/875?..don't remember which model it was?

The pic at the top is a "representation" of a similiar FEL on a sears tractor here in my neighborhood.

I was tossing around the idea of buying the tractor for the FEL & mount on a horse.

Last word I got...the owner is firm at $1100 for the tractor & FEL.

Keep in mind it has not ran in several years...bad ignition module & the engine was tired before then.

The hoses look like they will all need replaced too. :D

kpinnc

Jason, I gotta agree with you.

That thing is UGLY! :D

Kevin

pond195520032003

Stephen, did you get any more info on the loader you were trying to get :D if you end up buying it :P you can always list the tractor on ebay to recover some money :thumbs: im going to add a couple pics of my loader and my brothers loaders! :thumbs:

Rollerman

Greg it's kinda on the back burner....maybe it will happen when the asphalt starts going down again?

I think the price it to high considering all the soft lines will need replaced & the cylinders have started to pit from being in the weather.

mrfixit82852

Here is some History on the older Sears tractors. Info supplied by a couple of Sears members

Joe

Subj: Sears Trannys

Date: 7/20/2004 12:43:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time

To: mrfixit82852@aol.com

Sent from the Internet (Details)

Joe,

To give you a little better idea on the history and relationship of the Sears and Roper tractors, I will share some information I have found.

In August 2002, I contacted Robert Megginson, a professor at the University of Michigan. I had found that he was an executive for Roper from 1969 to 1977. He shared some of the history of the company with me. The following is a quote from his letter to me:

"The corporation was founded in Rockford, Illinois in 1919 by George Roper, perhaps with a name something like the Rockford Stove Company, although I think the George D. Roper Corporation name might have been with it from the beginning.

I do not know when Roper move to Kankakee. By the time I arrived at Roper in 1969, it had been pruchased by Sears, although Sears had dropped its interest in Roper to 49% so that Roper woiuld not appear as a subsidiary of Sears adn therefore could take its own place in the Fortune 500 (at a spot somewhere in the low 400s). Sears was responsible for Roper's diversification into areas such as lawn and garden tractors, by having Roper purchase others of its subsidiaries.

I am wondering if your historical interest might actually be in the David Bradley Manufacturing Company, because that is where you will really find the roots of the tractors you are collecting. I can help quite a bit with that. David Bradley (the individual) designed a plow for which he became famous in the late 1830's, and founded his company in 1854 as Furst and Bradley, in a partnership with Conrad Furst. He bought out Furst in 1884 and changed the name to the David Bradley Manufacturing Company, moving from Chicago to an abandoned furniture factory north of Kankakee in 1895. (The area around the plant later became Bradley, Illinois, a northern suburb of Kankakee, and the name is still there for the town although the company has long since disappeared.) Sears bought the company in 1910. The original David Bradley garden tractor appeared in 1948, and by 1953 tractors were about all that the company made. In 1962, Sears merged Bradley with another subsidiary, the Newark Ohio Company, and in 1966, pretty much at Sear's direction, the George D. Roper Corporation bought Newark, therby acquiring Bradley also and entering the tractor business.

When I left, Roper was still an independent, going concern. As you know, ownership then passed through several others, and I lost track of it thereafter."

Joe, I gave you all this to kind of answer your question about the relationship of Roper and Sears. Sears basically owned Roper and had them buy out Newark (which owned David Bradley). In the late 1970's, American Yard Products bought out Roper. My understanding is that this was another company muchly owned by Sears. AYP was later bought by Frigidare which was later bought by Electrolux. As I understand it, Sears is still a major stockholder in both those companies as well. The early trannys were basically made by David Bradley and later Roper....... The design was later made by AYP and is still made today by Electrolux....... It is basically the same company from the beginning until now, just bought out by others at the direction of Sears. So actually, Roper (later and still AYP) basically made tractors (including trannys) for Sears. That is why the Roper and Sears parts numbers are the same. You can even plug in a Roper parts number at the Sears Parts Site and usually find what you need for a Roper. Many of the Roper and Sears tractors were identical except for color and some sheet metal or fiberglass. For example I have a couple of Sears Custom 10XLs and a Roper RT10. Same tractors. I have a Roper RT13 that is basically a Suburban tractor.

Hope this clears up who made the trannys for you........ It is a bit complicated, but basically all the buy-outs over the years were made to meet Federal guidelines and to keep Sears in a better financial state. It is all about money.......

By the way, AYP presently still makes the big Sears tractors as well as Husqvarna and Poulan........

Be good,

Mark

====================================================

Subj: Re: Sears History

Date: 5/17/2006 9:14:40 PM Eastern Standard Time

To: MrFixit82852@aol.com

Sent from the Internet (Details)

Hi Joe,

It goes: David Bradley sold to Sears in 1910.

Sears sold it to Newark Corp, there own holding company in about 1961

Newark sold it to Roper in 1963

Roper sold to American Yard Products sometime in the mid 70's early 80's

AYP sold to it to Electrolux date unknown

Fridg was the next owner

Though some kind of take over by Fridg, E-lux ended up with it back.

I may have the last two owners backwards but that basically how it goes.

I'm also not to sure there might have been short term reicvers as owner between roper and E-Lux.

Good to hear from you Jeff

T-Mo

Joe,

Your first post. I just want to say :thumbs: . I'm thrilled your here as I know your knowledge and expertise on all brands will come in handy here. Again, welcome.

pond195520032003

Him Joe, and :P ! glad you finially made it here to post! I used to live near Buckeye Lake Ohio and went to Newark all the time! i know exactly where the old Roper Building is! :thumbs::D they used to have an indoor flea maket there since it shut down :thumbs: anyway glad you made it here and post often :D

pond195520032003

Here is my sears ss12 with kwik way loader! still need to restore it some day :DPicture004-7.jpg this is my brothers sears 18/6 with a kwik way loader! Picture005.jpg this is my brothers other kwik way loader that came with a sears ss16, 3pt hitch, mower deck, plow, cultivator and a couple other things! he got it all for $350.00 :thumbs::thumbs:Picture003-5.jpg

mrfixit82852

Joe,

Your first post. I just want to say :thumbs: . I'm thrilled your here as I know your knowledge and expertise on all brands will come in handy here. Again, welcome.

Yes my first post, but have been a member I believe since the website was first created. I just never posted or read that much before. It was Greg that reminded me of the website the other night. Since then I have been checking out what is going on when I get the chance.

Made it into the chatroom a few times and talked with a few of the members.

I guess owning 22 yahoo groups and moderating 8 others keeps me busy. but I will try to find the time to check back from time to time.

Really glad to see how large this website Has grown from when it was created. Glad to see if it active and surviving well.

Joe