jeremyrschroeder

Help with K91 (Sub 400) - Whats Next?

jeremyrschroeder

So cleaned the crap out of my carb, new spark plug, cleaned the points, and finally got it to start!!!

I didn't let it run long as it sounded like crap and would like to change out the oil. It had proper amount but not sure how old it was - it could of been setting in there a couple decades, so draining that now. Also going to put a new exhaust pipe on it. 

What ELSE should a young fella do that doesn't know much about what he is doing to get this running good so I can cruise it around and make sure the transmission is running good. Should I pull off the head and check it - if so what do I need to look for? Also will I need a new gasket to put it back on or will I likely be able to reuse the one I remove until I overhaul the whole thing?

WHAT ELSE?

Thanks in Advance!

AMC RULES

Definitely want to change the fluids first and foremost.  

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: Most definitely change the engine oil and plan on doing the tranny. I have reused head gaskets many times but it depends on the condition of the old one. It would be a good idea to get a new one just to have. Use the old one if it's OK until you overhaul it if that's needed. Install a correctly gapped plug, change and gap the points or at least clean up and gap the old points. Make sure the fuel is fresh and see how she runs. You can download all the manuals right here so read up my friend. You came to the right place for all the great help you'll ever need in the Wheel Horse world. :WRS: and of top priority.... :wwp::)

Edited by Racinbob

jeremyrschroeder

:text-yeahthat: Most definitely change the engine oil and plan on doing the tranny. I have reused head gaskets many times but it depends on the condition of the old one. It would be a good idea to get a new one just to have. Use the old one if it's OK until you overhaul it if that's needed. Install a correctly gapped plug, change and gap the points or at least clean up and gap the old points. Make sure the fuel is fresh and see how she runs. You can download all the manuals right here so read up my friend. You came to the right place for all the great help you'll ever need in the Wheel Horse world. :WRS: and of top priority.... :wwp::)

I have the K91 manuals but not sure on fluids for the transmission is there a wheelhouse one that would help with that? THANKS BTW - Changed the oil and exhaust - retesting today!