cruisnblue48

My first deal gone wrong

cruisnblue48

I've been collecting different Wheel Horse models the past 3-4 years and I just had my first deal go wrong. I have 9 of them and the next one on my wish list is a 520. A few days ago, I found a 1990 520h (745 hours) with no deck less than an hour drive from my house for $700 or best offer. This 520h appears to be in nice condition but not perfect by any means... torn seat, lights don't work, some surface rust, missing decals on hood, at least that's what I know about it. I thought I would take a chance on this one, so I made an offer of $400 cash plus a 1962 552 Wheel Horse trade. He asked for $450 cash and my trade (perhaps a $300 value)... total deal value at $750. So, in my mind I was actually giving up more than what he originally wanted for the 520h.  I accepted with condition that I couldn't pick it up till end of next week because I had to work eight consecutive 12-hour shifts. He agreed, deal sealed. Now, I just found out this very same 520h is for sale with a deck for $775. So, I ask the guy what's going on, thought we had a deal? Now he says he doesn't hold tractors, they're first come, first serve. Apparently, he's trying to get more cash for it before I can get time off work to pick it up. I'm sorry, I don't deal that way. I'm not going to clean up my tractor for him, load it on my truck, drive an hour to his place only to take a chance that he won't sell the 520h to someone else before I get there. So, I took my deal off the table... My best offer now is $500 cash, no trade. He refused my offer. I will be looking for a better 520 deal.

Edited by cruisnblue48
  • Like 6

Sean Keys

That's a shame! Some people......

Lane Ranger

It's never the deal -it's always the dealer!   An old poker lesson I learned!

Geno

I can see both sides here.  I've sold over 10,000.00 worth of stuff on CL in the past 30 days, no joke.  I've had about 20+ items on CL at one time consistently for over 5 years.  I would say that well over 50% of the people never show or even call back when they say they will and don't.  I am trying to do better at first come first serve because of all of the no shows.   

I still strike a deal with someone who seems for real sometimes still only to have a waiting list of 2-3 people to call as I spend all day trying to reach the person that absolutely had to have it and would be there first thing that morning.  At the same time a few others are ready to come right now.   :eusa-doh:   It happened with 2 more just this past Saturday.  If I do strike a deal with someone it is under stood, call before you come as it may be sold.

I understand Cruisin that you know yourself and you know your word is your bond, as do I know that about myself.  I also see the other side from what I try to sell and how that works most of the time.  If I miss something or it doesn't work out I just figure it wasn't meant to be...  :)

• Like 3

bmsgaffer

My thought is to work out a paypal deposit for any more than 3 days wait if you dont know the people. Incentive for communication.

Otherwise tell the people they are on the list, if the first guy misses the AGREED upon deadline by more than an hour without notice, call up the next guy.

squonk

If I strike a deal (selling) I set a time when they are coming. If they are going to be late they better call. If they are a no- show I move on to the next. I would've dream of selling something out from under someone after a deal is made just because they can get there faster or offer more money. If I'm buying I always call first to at least let the seller know I'm on my way

• Like 5

RMCIII

Yep, it does work, both ways.... I was on the receiving end of the deal I made for my dad on that SSWWWWWEEEEEEETTTTTTT JD 1435 w/cab, chains, 47" HD 2-stage blower, and 60" deck.... When I saw the add, I called right away. Guy told me it was sold. I said "sold as in gone, sold?" He replied, "No someone is supposed to be here tomorrow to get it". I said great, then if you have it the following day, it is mine". He agreed. Well, since my dad got the unit, you all can guess, the surprise of the seller when I did call back the following day..... IS it sold? Um-no, and I promised the guy he would be able to get it.... My response, “you have held it for the promised time; I will be there by 5pm today with a deposit, sight unseen, other than the photos on the listing". When I showed up, the seller was now really in a pickle... The previous "potential buyer" had called him back and said he had gotten held up and was unable to make it, but he would come the following day..... My response, I'm here now, I made the drive, and I'll have the rest of the money, the following day, which was a Saturday.....

I can say, it did put the seller in an awkward position, because I could see he was a man of his words. But so was I, and I felt that if the first buyer was truly going to purchase the unit, he would have at least called the day he was supposed to show up and inform the seller what was going on. He didn't and we scored a unit that we could turn and sell now for thousands over what we paid for it, but it is just too nice of a unit, to get rid of.

Just my 2 cents!

Rob

• Like 1

Geno

My thought is to work out a paypal deposit for any more than 3 days wait if you dont know the people. Incentive for communication.

Otherwise tell the people they are on the list, if the first guy misses the AGREED upon deadline by more than an hour without notice, call up the next guy.

Hey Brandon, 99% of the people I sell to I don't know.  I also do cash only, pickup only.  The worst thing would be the headache of impulse buying, someone has to have it now, makes a deposit, then thinks about it and decides it was an impulse buy, then starts a whole new headache... 

If I strike a deal (selling) I set a time when they are coming. If they are going to be late they better call. If they are a no- show I move on to the next. I would've dream of selling something out from under someone after a deal is made just because they can get there faster or offer more money. If I'm buying I always call first to at least let the seller know I'm on my way

I would've dream of selling something out from under someone after a deal is made either, but they will definitely not show well over half the time when a deal is made.   :eusa-doh:   I've tried that too, getting real tired of missing a right now sale because of holding something for a week then they never show up either and the other people have already bought something else.  This is especially important at tax time, there is a small window to sell stuff and if you have it very long you may have it till next year, especially with seasonal stuff.  The best I can come up with is it is first come with the cash first serve, this stuff has got to go.  Please understand that this is coming from someone who sells an average of 75K a year on CL and needs room really bad.  :laughing-rolling:

I felt that if the first buyer was truly going to purchase the unit, he would have at least called the day he was supposed to show up and inform the seller what was going on.

Absolutely, it's called common courtesy!

cruisnblue48

I understand what you guys are saying. I don't buy, sell and trade tens of thousands of dollars worth of tractors and parts every day/year. I buy what I want when I can afford it, maybe a couple tractors a year, and always looking for WH parts deals on eBay, clist and local tractor shows. I always make good on my word whenever I agree to a deal... never had any problem before. I would go pick up this 520 right now if I didn't have to go to work later today to make a living and pay for my hobby and other life necessities. But like was said, if this guy can't wait for me, it wasn't meant to be. I'll take my cash somewhere else and look for a better deal on a better 520. It's not like he has a long line of buyers waiting. He posted a second "last chance to buy" sale asking for more than what he originally wanted and after he accepted my offer to buy it. I won't do a deal like that. Lots of Wheel Horses for sale in PA all the time.

Edited by cruisnblue48
  • Like 2

shallowwatersailor

I do a lot of selling on eBay which is a totally different story. But when I have tried to sell things for tractors, I always come here first and let the ad run for a few weeks. I would rather sell to a forum member have first crack at it than just anyone. If it doesn't sell that way, then I move on to the other outlets.

• Like 4

Geno

I understand what you're saying Geno. I don't buy, sell and trade tens of thousands of dollars worth of tractors and parts. I buy what I want when I can afford it, maybe a couple tractors a year, and always looking for WH deals on eBay and clist. I always make good on my word whenever I agree to a deal. I would go pick up this 520 right now if I didn't have to work for a living to pay for my hobby and other life necessities. But like you said, if this guy can't wait for me, I'll take my cash somewhere else and look for a better deal on a better 520. Lots of Wheel Horses for sale in PA all the time.

I think the main point I am trying to make is not everyone is like us.  It's hard to understand why he would not make a deal and keep it like me or you would.  My word is absolutely my bond no matter what the cost.  That seems to have disappeared for most, and I'm afraid the good old days are gone, it's a different world than it used to be.  I still love it when I can do a deal on a handshake also, but that is very rare these days finding someone you can trust enough to do that with.  A lot has changed in the past 10 years let alone in my lifetime and none of it for the better.   Very sad but true.

• Like 2

JC 1965

Seems like it's getting harder all the time to find someone that will stand behind their word. Many people don't have any pride in their actions or their word.  Very sad Indeed !!   

• Like 2

CasualObserver

Seems like it's getting harder all the time to find someone that will stand behind their word. Many people don't have any pride in their actions or their word.  Very sad Indeed !!   

Just remember, this rings true for both sides of a deal. 

• Like 5

jwiss1995

I was going to get that tractor too. I offered him trade. Then I thought about it and decided not to. I'll have a 520 some day but I'd rather not get rid of my other horses

Coadster32

Yup...been on both sides of this deal, and understand them both. Just easier to stay off CL, and try to stay within the RS community. Haven't had one issue yet with all the good folks here. On top of that, you know your stuff always goes to good hands. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

km3h

I've had too many people tell me they will be here and not show up. My policy is it is sold when the money is in my hand. Until that time it is for sale. Most times, that is. I have on occasion held something for someone I had a feel for, after talking to them, but rarely will I hold something after a telephone conversation.

I have had folks call me and tell me they really wanted my tractor. Then when they get here they try to get me to lower my price or want to trade something. I tell them they agreed to the price I asked when they were on the telephone. If they continue to dicker, I run them off and I mean run they off with a lot of harsh words.

When I see something on CL I usually tell the person I will come and take a look at as soon as it is convenient to them. I get there a little bit early but never late. I talk to the seller to get a feel for their personallity and while doing that I do whatever I need to check out the items condition. Unless something is really being sold really under value, I will of course offer a lower price but only one time. If the seller says no, I either buy it or walk away depending on if I think his price is fair. On some occasions the seller changes his mind and will not let you walk away but sell it at your price. Now if for some reason I am not prepared to take it home with me that day, I reach into my pocket and pay for it and get a receipt.

To tell someone you will buy an item sight unseen, is very risky. I did just that this week. I have been looking for a Blasting Cabinet for some time. I found one about an hours drive from here on Sunday in CL. Called the seller and told him I would buy it sight unseen I told him I could not get there right away as my truck was not running but that my neighbor would bring me up on another day. He agreed to hold it for me. Because of his schedule and my neighbors conflicted a bit, I could not get there till yesterday. But we kept the communications window open almost daily.

My point is that hard fast rules can be broken from time to time but the risk is always there.   

• Like 2