416-8 Joins The Herd

AMC RULES

Nice  :wh: score.   :thumbs:

• Like 2

Geno

Great score, nice also that it was so close to home.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 2

Molon_Labe

Thanks guys, the poor thing was painted with a brush and has a lot of hardware missing but for the price it couldn't be passed up. This one will be fun. :woohoo:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

You're gonna love the big kohler single. I have two 416-8's and they are terrific tractors. Not as fuel efficient as their smaller brothers but the power factor makes up for it.

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Great score! If I ever find one priced right, I will own it too. Good Luck!

• Like 2

Molon_Labe

Great score! If I ever find one priced right, I will own it too. Good Luck!

This one was just pure luck, and I hope you find one soon! I'd passed on a couple of the "twins" that were available locally but couldn't resist this one.

• Like 2

Tankman

The 416-8 is definitely a Stallion! A favorite of mine and my grandsons too!

Post your progress fixin' your wonderful big red machine!   :)

Ready for winter duties! Always!

416-8 on the left, 414-8 right. Both now have 48" blades, chains 'n weights. Best of all, they have my grandsons!

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 4

Tankman

The grandsons are eager for white wet stuff! The 416-8 is one favorite Horse!

The boys are always stoppin' by, looking for anything they can do to help the herd. Yesterday tires were cleaned, wagon was spruced up. A trip to take a peek-a-boo of what might be new at TSC.

I need a rest but these boys love Horses. Any helpful recommendations appreciated. The boys are so young to be addicted.... :laughing-rofl:

• Like 5

craigbic

Great addition to the stable!

• Like 2

Molon_Labe

I took a break from the Suburban project to start giving this old girl a much needed face lift, not a restoral.

post-13276-0-92489000-1417639309_thumb.j

post-13276-0-96644800-1417639360_thumb.j

post-13276-0-58238900-1417639469_thumb.j

Lots left to do but it's getting there. :)

post-13276-0-93864100-1417639538_thumb.j

• Like 3

PaulC

Nice tractor I like that 16hp magnum!! I want to get my hands on one. Did the magnums ever come in the 416-h's?

• Like 2

Geno

Looking good M.  :text-+1:

• Like 2

slammer302

I bet that thing is a blast

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Baileys Beast...and they are. I love my 416. You will to. Nice grab and good luck.

Glenn

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Nice tractor I like that 16hp magnum!! I want to get my hands on one. Did the magnums ever come in the 416-h's?

Paul the earliest 416-h I could find was a 1990 model 41-16OE01 with the Onan 16. Starting in 1989 all 416's were Onan powered.

• Like 1

PaulC

thanks m bailey guess I could have looked that up myself haha. that makes sense though because all the 416-h's ive seen have had onans. there must be a small window for the 16hp magnums then, they started with the magnums in 86 or 87 so that means only 2-3 years? seems like more of a rare machine u have now m bailey!!

by the way your paint looks great!! what did you use to strip the fender pan?

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Paul the stripper used was Tuff Strip from Lowe's. Followed that up with a wire brush then Jasco Prep & Primer for the rust then a good coat of Dupicolor primer. I noticed a huge difference in the factory paint (when I got down to it) compared to my early model tractors. Is this stuff a powder coat they used on the 300 400 and 500 series? I wonder because of all the moisture ingress and rust where the paint didn't adhere well. This appears commonly on a great number of this series.

• Like 1

PaulC

Thanks for that info when I redid my 312-H I had all the tins sandblasted but ive been thinking if I decide to redo my 312-A or maybe new tractor I don't have yet (glad my wife isn't on the forum :laughing-rofl: ) I would try to use some stripper and do it myself?

Them using powder would make sense due to the lack of priming but was powder coat around in the 80's?

Never heard of Jasco? I just used rusto primer for the heavily rusted metal and then rusto farm and implement IH red.

• Like 2

Molon_Labe

Jasco is a rust converter/primer also sold at Lowe's. I've used it on several projects with good results. The paint is Ace Hardware Very Fast Drying enamel in Banner Red. Honestly, you can paint with this stuff and 2 hours later assemble the parts, it really dries that fast and that's at 60 degrees! Just painted the right foot rest and belt guard today.

post-13276-0-38397300-1417738179_thumb.j

• Like 1

Geno

Looks good M.   :handgestures-thumbsup:   You ever tried the Krylon paint + primer?  Re-coat time is 1 minute, handling time they say is 1 hour but it is less. 

When I painted the pallet rack uprights I put on 3 heavy coats then waited 30 minutes.  Picked each one up, carried them 15 feet and put them up against the wall to dry overnight, never left even a hand print and they probably weighed 60 lbs each so it took a good grip to move them.

I usually paint last thing at night before I leave.  If you drop a piece the next morning it will chip, it's that hard in just drying overnight.  The Krylon names I use are Cherry Red, Ivory and Satin Black.  :)

• Like 2

Molon_Labe

Looks good M.   :handgestures-thumbsup:   You ever tried the Krylon paint + primer?  Re-coat time is 1 minute, handling time they say is 1 hour but it is less. 

When I painted the pallet rack uprights I put on 3 heavy coats then waited 30 minutes.  Picked each one up, carried them 15 feet and put them up against the wall to dry overnight, never left even a hand print and they probably weighed 60 lbs each so it took a good grip to move them.

I usually paint last thing at night before I leave.  If you drop a piece the next morning it will chip, it's that hard in just drying overnight.  The Krylon names I use are Cherry Red, Ivory and Satin Black.  :)

Geno I have not tried it but your results sound awesome, especially for those of us in the northern climes with a winter project. I might just give that a go on my Suburban. Thanks my friend!

• Like 2

Geno

Anytime buddy.   :handgestures-thumbsup:   I try to analyze the crap out of everything then pass on what works the best for me.  :)

• Like 1

papaglide

That is a nice tractor. I would love to get one of the kohler powered 416's.

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

The old horse got a little more attention over the last few days. The hood hinges and rod were completely shot as the following pics illustrate. Had to weld in a couple of 3/8 washers on each side to provide enough support along with a new pivot made from 3/8 rod with a couple of holes drilled for external cotter pins.

post-13276-0-81385000-1417898250_thumb.j

Also painted the hood (all red at this point) satin black to follow. With any luck this old girl should be back into the working rotation soon.

post-13276-0-89348300-1417898466_thumb.j

With 1810 hours on the clock, it's no wonder she needs some attention!!! :) :)

• Like 5