yngliver

417A, looking for opinions

yngliver

Hello!

Last year I picked up a 312-H with a SD deck, plow, blower and tiller and she's been really hit or miss.  I needed a lawnmower and wanted the tiller, so it fit the bill (the blower was a separate score for $40 at a yard sale!).  It's fine for me, but my fiance has a heck of a time getting it going and I've been fixing this and that all year. We have 5 acres and it gave me some guff with the taller grass but in general mowed and tilled just fine. I just got the blower going today and it's pretty great, my only issues are with traction (ag tires and wheel weights) I've been in the market for a rear discharge deck as well for use with a lawn sweeper.

So I have been keeping an eye out for something else, maybe with some more power for the tiller and the blower.  I came across a 417a today near me.  He said I could have it with a rear discharge deck for $550.  I think the price is fair, the power seems good and the deck is a bonus.  This seems like it would make the lady happy too with the constancy of it starting and working for her.

So I ask you on this forum, what do you think about the 417a vs what I have.  I figure I could sell off the 312-h, or keep it and have two tools hooked up for different tasks. I don't exactly have $500 to throw around so i am weighing the benefits that I might get which is why I am asking here.  What do you think about the tractor?  Any input is great, thanks.

slammer302

If it were me I would buy the 417A and keep the 312 there are lots of benefits having to horses especially when having a lot to mow and having attachments

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I think the 312 is a tad weak for snowblowing, under certain circumstances.

How many hours on the 417? 5cres to mow,,,,good ol wheel horse.

Glenn

• Like 1

clem

I wouldn't trade my 417a for anything. With that being said it has been re - powered because the original kt twin was used up. I used it for years with a 48" sd deck & a 16hp single kohler mowing heavy clay ground that grew tougher than nails grass. Just this spring I put a 690cc honda engine on it & I believe this combo will outlast me! It lacks a lot of the electrical issues that can be inherent with the 520 also. Although I haven't taken the time to make it a show winner, it is a Clydesdale of a work horse! I would suggest looking it over well to see how it was maintained, then decide from there.

• Like 1

Forest Road

$550 for a running tractor w a good deck is a steal. With 5 acres I'd keep the 312. That's the kind of property which justifies multiple horses.

• Like 1

Ken B

I have two 417-8's. They are an excellent upgrade from your 312H. With that Kohler twin they sound very nice, run smooth and they aren't the fuel hog that the 20hp Onan is on a 520. The Kohler Twin 17 on the 417 will run a 48 inch deck thru tall grass with little to no effort. I would confirm whether or not your 312 has the Eaton 700 or an Eaton 1100 under it. If it has the 700 I would sell it, 1100 I'd keep it. With 5 acres of grass to cut it is nice to have a spare machine.

• Like 1

Geno

I have a couple of 312's and a 417A, no comparison.  I'm with everyone else on keeping them both but if you can only have 1 the 417 is the one to have.  :)

• Like 1

doc724

I agree with others here.  I would keep them both.  I have been looking for a 417A or a 418C to complete my herd.  These do not come along too often especially here in the east.  I have to be patient!

• Like 1

Lost Pup

Own a 418A and a 417-8.

Both will power the mower deck with ease, power the tiller thru hard pack , spin the single stage blower thru deep snow.

Good value price for a 417A ......I would say buy it.

Edited by Lost Pup
  • Like 1

yngliver

Thanks for all for all of the replies!  I think you have pushed me over the edge and I'll go check this one out.  Fingers crossed that it's as good as I hope. Thanks again!

• Like 1

rexman72

the 417A will do a good job in whatever you want it to do

papaglide

I have a 417-A and I love it. Series II Kohler KT 17 can't be beat and the tractor is rugged and will do anything that you ask of it.

yngliver

Hey guys. I checked out the tractor today and decided to get it. He has replaced the motor with a k341 16hp which started like a champ and drove strong. Although it's been modified it still fits my needs and fit all the attachments I've collected. Now I just need to get a trailer lined up to bring it home and get the snowblower hooked up.

Thanks for all of the input, I really appreciate it.

• Like 2

Geno

Congrats on the new :wh:    :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

Forest Road

Congrats! I prefer the kohler singles hands down. You'll be very happy.

doc724

Good for you, I am sure you will be happy with it.

slammer302

Wow that is even better