312hoss

1988 520-HC question

312hoss

Hi RS members,I am looking at a 1988 520-HC.My question is did they come with a 20hp twin Kohler?Or was it just the Onan?Thanks for your help.

stevebo

The 20hp Onan is a twin. That is the motor in ALL 520's and 520 HC tractors. 

ericj

onan is the only motor that came in the 520 stevebo beat me to it

eric j

312hoss

Thanks for the quick reply.This 520 i am looking at has a kohler twin cylinder 20hp on it.

ericj

is it a 520 or a 420 lse it had a 20 hp kohler mag on it. and are you sure it is a kohler not an onan or the other possibility is somebody swapped it out

eric j

312hoss

Looks like a transplant. The guy says his dad has had for years.

ericj

if it was done right and not butchered and runs good it would still be a nice find if the price was right

eric j

Jrblanke

I feel like I saw that one for sale earlier this year on craigslist up in your area. Does it have a 60 inch deck? For some reason I remember a 520 for sale with a 20hp kohler and a 60 inch deck. I want to say it was in Bedford, VA.

Edited by Jrblanke

312hoss

Hi RS members, can someone tell me the difference between the 520-H and the 520-HC?

ericj

the 520-H was made between 90 and 97 and had toro decals on it. the 520-HC was made in 89 possible late 88, the HC had the forward swept axle and only 3 gauges in the dash and the 520-H had 5 gauges. the C stood for commercial . the HC has more ground speed than the 520-H the 91 and newer tractors have the gear reduction steering. the controls were also different locations also. the 88 & 89 520 had the controls down on the center console and the hydro lift was on the left side of the dash tower, the 90 and newer had the controls up under the steering wheel. you should be able to do a search on here and find pictures of all of the different models of the 520 on here

i have some pictures of the 90 and newer in the what are you using for snow clearing thread. i think its on page 10

eric j

• Like 1

ben06351

And less chrome...

varosd

the 520-H was made between 90 and 97 and had toro decals on it. the 520-HC was made in 89 possible late 88, the HC had the forward swept axle and only 3 gauges in the dash and the 520-H had 5 gauges. the C stood for commercial . the HC has more ground speed than the 520-H the 91 and newer tractors have the gear reduction steering. the controls were also different locations also. the 88 & 89 520 had the controls down on the center console and the hydro lift was on the left side of the dash tower, the 90 and newer had the controls up under the steering wheel. you should be able to do a search on here and find pictures of all of the different models of the 520 on here

i have some pictures of the 90 and newer in the what are you using for snow clearing thread. i think its on page 10

eric j

like Eric said above. 88/89 520-HC

also the hood lacked louvers and no chrome air cleaner, oil filler tube etc. bigger rear tires, bigger battery

ericj

i would have mentioned the chrome but he said the onan motor was swapped out for a kohler, so i figured the point was mute. but i've seen more than 1 tractor listed on c/l and the sell said it was a kohler when it was actually an onan

eric j  

Theroundhousernr

eric j

I am pretty sure you know this already Eric but the first sentence in your post makes it a little misleading. The 520H was made from 1988 to 1997. The 520HC where made in 88 and 89 in addition to the standard 520H.

ericj

busted  :banghead:

eric j

312hoss

Thanks for all the info. I will go and look at it later this week.Hopefully will get it and post some pics.Thanks again for all the help and info.