motor12

Trans to frame reinforcing plate

motor12

After reading about the cracking problems on the frame where it connects to the trans I am having a 1/4 in. plate cut and fitted to this area. My question is, after bolting in place is welding also needed or is bolting enough, there is only one small crack on the lower left bolt hole about half an inch on each side of the hole.  Thanks.

gwest_ca

Here is a service bulletin on it with poor pictures

Garry

• Like 1

PaulC

here is how I fixed mine...with slightly better photos :)

• Like 1

rmaynard

My opinion is to weld it. 

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Like Bob says. Weld it. That's how mine was done.

Glenn

• Like 1

Geno

I would weld it as well.  :)

ri702bill

I had to repair & straighten the trans mount on my 854. Lots of years of plowing took its toll - plowing puts a lot of vibration and torsional twisting force into that area. I made a 1/4" plate and added 4 1/8" gussets. I drilled thru the frame plate in 9 spots and plug welded the plate in place. Once the welds were ground flush, I gouged out the cracks down to the reinforcement plate & welded that up too. The gusset plates go into the area nead the bolts. Problem solved.

Bill

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

Forest Road

If you have easy access to a welder. Then weld it.

If not. I'd be comfortable without welding

• Like 1

motor12

Thanks for the reply's. My 854 only pulls light duty, no plowing, mowing or heavy lifting. Her future is one of leisure. I figure after 50 years it's time for some R&R. Without access to a welder I plan on bolting in the plate and adding a support from the bottom of the tranny plate up to the frame like PaulC did with his. Thanks everyone.

• Like 3

PaulC

Ya know that ole saying theres more then one way to skin a deer(most people say cat but I like cats to much :laughing-rofl:). Any way it gets fixed is a good fix and if your not doing any tough work with the tractor it probably doesn't even need to be fixed. I mowed and snowblowed a bunch before I realized mine was cracked. I realized when I made up a rear hitch for it and started to tow around my snowmobile trailer with sleds on it. Even then it just allowed the trans to twist enough to mess up the linkage.

Since adding my bracket ive towed my 3 place sled trailer loaded so 2,000+lbs with 2-300lbs of tongue weight with no issues.....these tractors amaze me more and more everyday.

• Like 1