callum12

hello, i'm callum from the UK

callum12

Hi all,

I'm Callum McGrory from the UK, for my 17th birthday a few days ago I was given a wheel horse A-800 (ranger). I have many questions to ask but i will post those in the appropriate boards.

here's a bit about me and my hobbies:

I began my engine related hobbies with Mamod steam models, i still have them now and are great fun on a summers day!! i was then given a Lister D type stationary engine, this is restored and has been rallied twice this year, being its first outing since 1988. I was then given a Colwood motor hoe, for those that do not know these are single wheeled 3 speed horticultural pedestrians tractors. this is from the 1940's and is still being extensively mechanically restored. right from the word go with the Mamods i knew i wanted something i could ride on... mini traction engine? £15,000, perhaps not!! :) I was then introduced to the world of garden tractors, for probably 7 years i wanted a garden tractor, finally that moment has come and i couldn't be happier!! from what i've read so far the A-800 isn't the most desirable model to have, but i don't care, in fact, i couldn't care less! i think it might be unique anyway, there are quite a few features on mine that don't seem to be on other A-800's (more about this later though).

Anyway, thanks for reading,

Callum 

Bert

:WRS:

C-101plowerpower

welcome to redsquare Callum, good to see another young member from this side of the pond!

Koen :flags-netherlands: 

neil

Welcome to Redsquare Callum

Look forward to seeing your tractor

meadowfield

Hey Callum,

welcome to redsquare, lets see some pictures :D

mark

Geno

Hello Callum and :WRS:

Anglo Traction

:WRS: Callum, Always good to see younger people like yourself becoming involved in keeping the old machines running and developing the mechanical skills to do it.  

Congrats on the Ranger acquisition, loads of Manuals and information here, and a massive number of helpful people on many Continents here if you need to ask for assistance.

Look forward to seeing your pics when you can :handgestures-thumbup: . 

C-101plowerpower

oh i forgot to ad, since you like old machine's why not take a look on the sister site, MyOldMachine.com

Koen :flags-netherlands:

JC 1965

Hi Callum and welcome to   :rs: glad to have you aboard. This is a great forum and I'm sure you will like it here.   :thumbs2:

callum12

thanks for the warm welcome everybody, here's some pictures: notice the 10HP Tec, all of the rangers I've seen have only been 8HP, 

goodywoodshoes, i looked at your website and there is some really interesting stuff their, i have bookmarked it !

IMG_0227_zps419ddf9d.jpg

IMG_0230_zpsbcbdf208.jpg

IMG_0222_zps7285268a.jpg

I hope these images display for you all,,

Callum

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos:

:WRS:

Geno

The pics work fine, nice tractor!  :handgestures-thumbsup:

meadowfield

nice wheels :thumbs:

callum12

thanks guys,

I plan to make a few mods, LED headlights, and an exhaust stack. its quite loud as it is now so i will design the exhaust to make it some what quieter. I would also like some larger rear wheels, do the wheel horse C series rear wheels fit?

thanks again for such a great welcome!!

Callum

meadowfield

you are stuck with the original wheels unless you make new hubs, but then the wheels will foul on the fender...  The best you might do is to get the largest 8 inch tyre with an ag pattern.

callum12

thanks for that,

my rear wheels measure 9" in diameter is there a code for the tire that i'd need? 

I've noticed that some a-800 have wheels fitted with a key rather than bolts, mine are fitted with the bolts which i much prefer. would any other wheel horse wheels fit this  style of hub? I wouldn't mind modifying the arches anyway.

thank you,

Callum

meadowfield

What's the current tyre size?

Pretty sure only ranger wheels will fit, all the later vertical shaft A and B series run peerless style axles with slide on wheels...

But someone else might chime in...

callum12

i'm not sure on current tire size, i'll check tomorrow. 

If some one could measure the distance between two opposite bolts's centre that would help us determine if the  wheels are interchangeable. 

I sure your right meadow field but since my axle doesn't have slide on wheels with a key maybe someones already changed to  'bolt on wheel'  hubs.

thanks all,

Callum

meadowfield

A-800's as far as I remember use bolt on hubs, as does the older lawnranger. Are they 3 stud hubs?

callum12

no mine are 5 stud, the reason i thought most has keyed wheels was because of the thread "why no love for the A-800" that one has keyed wheels.

the tire size on mine are 18 X 8.50 X 8 what is the dimension there refers to wall height?

thanks for all the help,

Callum

Anglo Traction

the tire size on mine are 18 X 8.50 X 8 what is the dimension there refers to wall height? thanks for all the help, Callum

Don't know about A800 Wheel Stud patterns,  but the Wall height is the Tyre Diameter (18") minus the Rim diameter (8") divided by 2 =  5inches.

meadowfield

You can go as big as 20x10x8 with a good ag tyre on those rims - if it clears the fender. That's only a big smaller than the 23x8.50x12 that lots of people use.

I used 18x8x8 on project C4 and they look good...

f24a1ec35144daf03cc7eceac14bee9a_zpseb4c

Edited by meadowfield

callum12

just measured the arches, if i was to remove the lip the 20x10x8 would fit nicely. i can then support the arches with some steel strips underneath. the metal work is pretty thick anyway. 

i'm assuming the 10" dimension with the width of the tire? 

thank you very much,

Callum

callum12

just a thought, i could make some spacers and get some longer bolts to raise the arches and the seat, thus giving more clearance for the tires and a higher riding position, I haven't looked at this closely yet so it might not be possible. hopefully though.

Callum

meadowfield

10 wide, 20 high...