oliver2-44

New from

oliver2-44

I'm new to this forum.

Back in high school (40 years ago)  worked in a Ford tractor shop. I was the flunky that steam cleaned the bigger farm tractors and worked on riding lawn tractors.

At the time I despised the lawn tractors, cause i wanted to work on the big ones! of course i has to start somewhere (lot's of good tractor shop stories) !

I currently have a mid 60's White Oliver 2-44 backhoe/loader down at the farm. It's nicknamed "THE BEAST" due to it's poor power-assist steering

Also a fairly worn out 1984 John Deere 316 that has been relegated to mowing around the barn.

At home my weekly mower is a 2003 John Deere LT150 hydrostatic. 

I like the heavyness of the older garden tractors and have been looking around for one.

I was recently given a Wheelhorse 312-8 and mower deck that been sitting for 5 years, The previous owner said he has bought it new, but did'n remember exactly when, and hasn't replaced anything major on it.. It' all there, minor rust, rotten tires, etc, When I get this one running good I hope to find a front blade & tiller and make it my garden tractor. I typically like to keep things standard paint colors. However my neighborhood has a lot of rules (you can drive golf carts and UTV;s on the street, but not 4-wheelers, etc) I'm thinking this wheelhorse might get a candy apple red & flames paint job with a chrome straight exhaust! hat will look good riding it down to the park/lake! (yes, I don't always follow all the rules )

I just poster my carb/starter problems in the engine forum. I would like some help dating this tractor. The vinyl tractor nameplate is faded/unreadable.

The engine is a 12hp, Kohler 301s spec 47812 which makes it an 1984 model, The starter flange is stamped 12-84.which matches the engine.

The mower deck nameplate is 0542M604 (the 5 and 6 are hard to read) then it has the number 587.15  Can a year be traced from this mower deck number?

Interestingly I've peeled the tire off one of the rear rims and found stamper 12X7JA firestone USA 11-77 (wheel Symbol) EWC. The rims are painted Pewter inside and out. 

Basted on the engine could this be a 1985 1st year 312-8.

Is there any other tractor parts that have date stampings? 

C-101plowerpower

first things first, we like picture's, because  :text-worthless:

Anyway  :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: 

Koen :flags-netherlands: 

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

The tractor will be model 21-12K801 as 1985 was the only year they used spec 47812.

The 0542M604 would be 05-42MS04 as 5 is for mower and the S for side discharge. Also a 1985 model.

Garry

gwest_ca

The highest 1985 serial number I've recorded so far was 58399 so your's is likely 58715. Must be late 1985 model year product.

Garry

Amanda

Welcome to the forum

KC9KAS

:WRS:  and as stated above..... :wwp:

Sparky

:WRS:

Mike........

Geno

Hello and :WRS:

shallowwatersailor

:text-welcomewave:  to :rs: !

JC 1965

Hello an welcome to  :rs:

CasualObserver

oliver2-44

:) Heres some picturest. :deadhorse: As  you can see this 312-8 needs some work. cut the dry rotted tires off yesterday & blasted the rings.. Once I get it movable & running I'll use it some to see the condition of everything. Then fix the those problems and give it  proper paint job. 

post-14212-0-66690600-1415656667.jpg

post-14212-0-32630000-1415656668.jpg

post-14212-0-01153200-1415656669.jpg

post-14212-0-58321300-1415656669.jpg

post-14212-0-39911600-1415656670.jpg

• Like 1

Geno

You'll have her good as new.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Jake Kuhn

Terry M

Welcome to the  :rs:  :handgestures-thumbupright: