stephan07

tire question

stephan07

has any one ever had 26x12x12 tires on wh for snow removal?

i have my 310 ready for duty but was wondering if the big bar lugs would hurt or help. i have smaller bar lug tires that could go on. all the turf tires are long gone.

the dabate in my head is more tire to catch traction vs more tire spreads the weight for less traction

Edited by stephan07

KC9KAS

From what I have read on here, narrow tires do better in snow....All the weight on smaller patch of rubber.

• Like 1

WHEEL HORSE 312-8

Smaller is better the bigger u go the worse it is big tiresr fun for drifting in snow lol

ericj

the 26x12x12 tire will hit the fenders on just about any wheel horse tractor except the D series. the 24x12x12 will clear. i know when i was a kid my dad's, or mine now D200 has 26x12x12 turf tires on it and it would run right over top of the snow and with wheel weight and loaded tires it weighs 1500 lbs. and i also know my 520-H with 23x10.50x12 ag tires does real good in the snow with out chain on mostly level ground. i have a friend that has a 88 520 with loaded 24x12x12 turf tires and he used it to blow snow last year and he said his problem was not having chains big enough to fit the larger tires. he was on dirt and gravel out in the country were the snow drifts real hard which didn't help any

eric j

RMCIII

Winter use, a smaller tire is prefered, if you have the space to store them.... I would much rather run a smaller tire in the front and rear, but space is an issue so I am stuck with what came on them....

Rob

C-101plowerpower

Winter use, a smaller tire is prefered, if you have the space to store them.... I would much rather run a smaller tire in the front and rear, but space is an issue so I am stuck with what came on them....

Rob

why would you run a smaller tire? something tells me that'll lose traction faster than a bigger tire, unless you mean narrower tire's then i get your point

Koen :flags-netherlands: 

• Like 1

RMCIII

Koen - smaller/narrow - yes

Rob

Save Old Iron

think sled or toboggan - which has more steering ability on ice or hard snow?

thin sled runners or big flat bottom of the toboggan?

traction wise, think about the area of contact made by the tire on the snow. lets say it's 12 square inches on a wide tire and 4 square inches on a thinner tire. let's say the weight on that tire is 240 pounds. The wide tire will have 240 lbs / 12 inches = 20 lbs per square inch pressure to the snow where the thinner tire will have 240 lbs / 4 inches or 60 lbs per square inch pressure on the snow.

simple back of the napkin calculations, but you get the idea.

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 2

boovuc

Summation:

For snow duty, the narrow tire works best. (You want your tire to go into the snow to create traction).

26" tires won't fit under most Wheelhorse fenders. 

stephan07

They fit. I have a spacer between the fenders and the bracket. It was formally a puller.

WHEEL HORSE 312-8

Sell urs someone will buythem

rick

Turf tires with chains seem to be the best for snow plowing, with a cleat tire ordinary chains will work their way into the spaces between the cleats. Chains for ag type tires are available, but pricey and may not be available in our sizes.

ericj

as i have said many times on here i run ag,bar or cleat tires what ever you want to call them and have good success with them, but i have mostly flat ground and i keep the tire chains handy if i need them. when i take my tractors to help my brothers, they don't have flat ground and i usually have to run chains on my ag tires and it works good for me, maybe not so good for the yard though. lol   :ROTF:    

eric j

stephan07

312 i have tried to sell them the best offer i got made me laugh. just look up the cost on a set of 26x12x12 super lugs and a set of douglas alum 13" wide wheels and you will understand why. i got some skinny ag tires for the rear that will go on if i cant get it done with these. i havent even looked for chains for the big tires doubt i would find any unless they made them for older ditch wich equipment or something that ran these tires.

ericj i mowed all summer with these tires on and did no damage. just got to take it easy when wet of cornering.

Edited by stephan07

ericj

i only use the chains in the winter when plowing or snow blowing. never run them in the summer time. that's why i have a wheel horse don't need chain 90% of the time unlike the big box store junk which need all the help they can get just to get out of their on way

eric j

857 horse

i use an 857 to plow snow,,,,,stock 7x12 rear wheels with stock 23x8.50x12 tires....chains will fit......oh,,,,,

get a set of wheel spacers......cheep  and always avalaible  at E.B.  1- 1/2 inch  wide,,,,, find a set for a mustang 5 lug x 4.5 bolt patten usually $50.00

and weights,,,,,,,at leat 50 lbs in the rear....25 or 30 lb fronts......THEN,,,,,,,,,,GO PUSH SNOW..........

now..................during the summer...   i have a set of 12 inch deep wheels with 24x12x12 tires on the rear......even my neighbors look

26's are too tall and rub......24's dont rub... fresh cotton white wheels and clean tires do wunders for an old horse.......

good luck !!!!

specialwheelhorse

Ever notice the tires on an old original military dodge power wagon

The only thing that would stop them was when the mud or snow

Was deeper than clearance under and that did not slow them down

Much

• Like 1

Tankman

23 x 10.5 x 12, turf. Chains and wheel weights. Drive (push snow) slowly,

No rush.

baerpath

Stephan 07 If you were closer I'd make an offer on them. Totally not what you need for plowing. Check your width you'll need a big blade to clear the tires.  I'd trade set of turfs on rims with chains for them any day

stephan07

Good thought I haven't pulled out the blade to check width