RMCIII

1st. Annual Wheel Horse Convention

Convention Questions  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a 1st. ever Wheel Horse Convention?

• Yes
    • No
    • Possibly - need more info
  2. 2. How far would you be willing to travel to attend?

• 50 - 100 miles?
    • 100 - 150 miles?
    • 200 - 250 miles?
    • Don't care would make it no matter the distance?
  3. 3. What would be a range you would pay, for room and meals, if you were to attend?

• $75.00 - $100.00 a night?
    • $100.00 - $125.00 a night?
    • $125.00 - $150.00 a night?
    • $150.00 - $200.00 a night?
    • As long as it is not Motel 6, or the Waldorf Astoria, it really does not matter?

RMCIII

The questions are to just get a pulse on weather or not, the convention would be attened by enough members to make it worth while and what would the members be willing to pay for room and meals... Meals would be a continental breakfast and a sit down dinner in the evenings.

Rob

Edited by RMCIII

546cowboy

The thing is where ever you have it would be too far for some to go. Seems like the big show is about 1000 miles from me and there is no way I could possibly go. If the show was in South Bend where the factory was, there would be long drives for all you east coast guys.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I think based upon my visit this year that the Annual Convention is already held each year by the Wheel

Horse Collector's Club in Pennsylvania!   And I think next year is going to be the 17th year if

I remember correctly! 

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 4

stevebo

I think what Rob is trying to do here is have a convention which is more of a "teaching" event rather than a show event. My first reaction was the same at Lane's. He would like to have different tutorials and presenters ie how to rebuild a tranny (Steveasarus) or how to find electrical problems (Save Old Iron) etc.etc. I think it is a great idea but I can tell you it will be a HUGE undertaking in terms of organization. I also think that location is a big factor. 

• Like 5

Aldon

Any chance you could add a day or two to the Big Show event for purposes of instructional seminars?

Either way count me in as interested.

• Like 1

Geno

I guess teaching is ok for some but I just want to go play on the tractors and hang out with the guys here.  I thought maybe the one I have in the spring could help with all the Midwest people that find PA too far to go.  I even thought that mine will last several days if people wanted, I have lots of space to play, plow, ride, display, etc on, and a shop to fix what breaks.  :handgestures-thumbsup:  

I guess if someone wanted to do some types of instructional here they could have full access to the shop and tools, I can also provide the tractors to tear apart, I do have a few.   :laughing-rolling:   I would be willing to do electrical myself as I used to do those when I worked for Sony Corp.   :)

• Like 1

Geno

That would be the best place for sure!  If the groundwork has begun then I'm sure you guys have had some very eye opening experiences.  It's a very large undertaking indeed, especially so if you are in a union town.  I attended the Summer and Winter CES shows for 4 years as a retailer and it was great.  Then I spent the next 6 years doing it on the Vendor side, oh boy.  :scared-eek:   Wait till you have to push a tractor inside the building 50' to a both and the union guy tells you that will be $150.00 please or go home.  :laughing-rolling:    Granted the CES shows are the largest in the world but we ran into the same types of messes in smaller shows.  :eusa-doh:

• Like 2

zieg72

I can make South Bend no problem

RMCIII

Steve - thanks for clearing the point up regarding convention... Maybe we call it COnference then.... Regardless of where it may be held, there will always be individuals who can't make the trip.. It would not be on or close the the PA event.... This would be another option for indivuals to attend.

Definately want to stay away from union buildings regardless. Takes away from the overall expierence and adds additional costs that are truly not needed.

If there are at least 100 individuals who would be interested in attending, that is all it takes, to start something and make it grow.

Geno - yes, play day everyday :woohoo:  in the exhibit hall or where ever it would be.

Rob

• Like 2

GlenPettit

South Bend is an excellent central location for a lot of members here in the mid-West.  

The TORO factory location is kinda tucked way up North there (but they might be able to help produce-sponsor if near).  

The Big Show is way out East in PA, but a good location for a large percentage of the active Wheel Horse owners, plus it's established, 17 years and we know what to expect and is a tourist area for the family.

It would be impossible to find just one location and time that is good and convenient for everyone.

Also, too many smaller shows might distract some from the Big Show, but then more WH owners could attend and share if the shows are in local close places.

I agree with Geno, if we get too fancy and formal, costs to produce and attend a show could get real expensive real quick for everyone.

Initial surveys are a great idea to get a feel for the interest.    

It is the location, date and program that will draw people in, plus it takes time & a team, plus years to establish a Show following, then there's costs (gas, food, sleeping, 'lost work & family time' . . .).

To share an event with a larger event could be both a help or a distraction (like the Portland, IN show in August)(advertising, insurance, exposure, experience, supervision . . .).

I'm very much in favor of a Mid-West show . . .   Glen

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 2

rmaynard

Any chance you could add a day or two to the Big Show event for purposes of instructional seminars?

Either way count me in as interested.

Since the big show (WHCC) is not a RedSquare event, the schedule is entirely set by the WHCC. Instructional and hands-on events have been tried, but have not been too well received. Most attendees are there to look, show, buy, and generally NOT be tied down to any particular event or seminar, etc.
  • Like 4

RMCIII

Since the big show (WHCC) is not a RedSquare event, the schedule is entirely set by the WHCC. Instructional and hands-on events have been tried, but have not been too well received. Most attendees are there to look, show, buy, and generally NOT be tied down to any particular event or seminar, etc.

That is the beauty of a organized conference.... Gather data, hear what the members would like to see, narrow it down, and make it available as part of the pre-registration. Then you would also know how many each class would need to be set-for.

Vendors, buyers, trades, would be on the trade show floor, or where ever.

CasualObserver

It's an interesting concept. Many hobbies have a convention. I like Stevebo's explanation of it, because honestly my first reaction was the same.... there's already an annual show.  But if you make it more of a convention style... with vendor booths selling specialty parts, a display area, some teaching and educational areas... there could be a real niche there.  Of course my first thought then is holy crap it's too expensive to get a convention center, but then remember, it can start small in like a couple of barns on a fairgrounds somewhere... similar to a show.  

I think Rob is right... something like this with 100 people attending would be a great start.

Another idea, rather than a single branded convention, what about getting tech or speaker sessions into the LAGC magazine sponsored Annual Lawn and Garden Extravaganza? That seems like a place that this type of thing could be a mutually beneficial deal. Having it there might encourage other major brands to do the same kind of tech sessions or something. Just a thought.

• Like 1

RMCIII

Jason - you are talking right into my plans..... But at first we need to see if the 100 ppl. would be interested in this. Already there are quite a few "yes" votes, and almost the same, "need more info", but no one has said "no".

If we get the 100, then another round of questions is what would you like to see. Categorize the classes/speakers we know we could count on.

Rob

CasualObserver

Instructional and hands-on events have been tried, but have not been too well received. Most attendees are there to look, show, buy, and generally NOT be tied down to any particular event or seminar, etc.

You are right, it has been tried at the WHCC show with less than great results as far as I understand. But that was because they were pushing it on the wrong crowd. The difference I see in a concept like this would be the expectation up front. If the expectation of the attendee is to attend tech sessions, history presentations and round table discussions, you'll actually draw a different crowd. Most of the guys who just want to show their tractors or just like visiting and BS'ing about whatever won't attend. They have other shows to go to.

But you'd probably be surprised by the number of collectors who are actually more interested in tech details and history than who has the best or shiniest paint, or who has the most tractors.

I'm particularly interested in this, as I have a back burner project that could be a fantastic presentation in an event like this. But it's going to take several years to complete. and to totally toot my own horn horn.gif, I think its going to rock some worlds.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Drawing on my membership in the Gravely Tractor Club of America, each year they have a "Mow-In" at one of the many tractor shows in the country. This year it coincided with the Steam-O-Rama in Windsor, PA on October 2-5. Next year it will be in Rhinebeck, NY with the Century Museum Village and Collector's Association and the Northeast Coalition of the Antique Motorcycle Club of America on June 18-20, 2015. Some of the past sites have been Somers, CT; Brownsville, PA; Houston, DE; Point Pleasant, WV; Portland, IN; and Brillion, WI in conjunction with Gravely's 90th Anniversary. You can see that they do move the show to different parts of the country and different dates as well. There are also regional shows too to keep members active.

In addition, this past winter of 2013-2014 there was the first "technical" weekend held. A Gravely Model D, which was the single wheel tractor built from 1916 to 1936, was the subject.

Maybe something like both of these ideas could be considered for the many owners of Wheel Horses.

• Like 1

RMCIII

The beautiful thing about a conference is it does not have to stay in 1 location. It can rotate between states annually. So if a bunch of individuals, say on the east coast wanted to attend, but the drive was to far, we just then pick a location closer to the east coast the following year. It helps to ensure a healthy crowd annually, once it get's started.  If this get's enough attention to get 1 started, that is all it will need, to propell it on for future years. There are way to many interesting topics, subjects, knowledge, traders, vendors, ect. for it to not be successful.

Rob

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Let me know when this will be held at the Old Wheel Horse factory in Belgium...I am already saving my $ for this one.  :)

BTW...count me in...the weekend after Scott's M&G is always a nice weekend.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

RMCIII

Steve- regardless, was counting on you as 1 of the informative speakers.... Tech Talks Trannies with Steve! :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

Racinbob

I'm really liking this idea. From all the great input obviously everybody does. With a lot of family close to South Bend it would suit me fine to be there every year but Rob's idea on moving it around makes great sense.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I would love to do a tranny thingy, but I am pretty shy in front of people...I am better at heckling from the back.  :eusa-think:   but count me in...I'll figure it out.  :)

• Like 3

Steve NW WI

I think you guys are making this too "fancy".  I'm a chainsaw nut, I have umm, "some".  The saw sites I frequent have regional GTGs (Get To Gethers) at a member's place, usually featuring potluck food, lots of wood to cut (usually set up in advance by local members), a swap meet and a fire and some beverages to tell stories with afterwards.

To me, this sort of gathering makes more sense than a convention type deal.  An ideal site would have shop space for tinkering, lots of grass and dirt to play on, room for tents/campers for those travelling a long ways, and preferably a hotel nearby.  It's a good bit of work for the host, but there's a donation bucket to defray expenses and maybe put a couple bucks in their pocket for their trouble.

I might could be talked into a MN/WI GTG here come spring, although I'm tragically short on shop space for a couple years yet.

• Like 1

RMCIII

Steve - that can happen regardless... Memebers in the area, if they wanted, could have a get together at their place during the conference. Good idea. Something to add to the pot if it get enough attention.

Rob

stevasaurus

I have been giving this idea some thought...and I like where it is heading.  One thing is Jason has peaked my curiosity about the "project" he is talking about.   :)   Another thing is, I could talk for a couple hours about Wheel Horse transmissions and their evolution.  What would be excellent...if Racinfool40 (Mike) and I did this together.  Holy Cow!!!  Here is an idea...how about doing "live stream WIFI" of any and all of the technical seminars.  Seminars could include, transmissions, trouble shouting electrical with a multimeter, trouble shooting fuel flow (carbs, gas lines, filters, tanks, etc), how to use a spray gun (paint), welding, engines etc.  :eusa-think:

Steve NW WI...welcome to Red Square  :)  It would be great if we did this at the Dells.  Don't worry, it will not be too fancy...we are way too Blue Collar for that.  :bow-blue:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2