Steve NW WI

New guy, "new" B-80

Steve NW WI

Like the title says, I'm new around here.  I'm in western WI and have been looking for a good old garden tractor for a while now to get places in my woods that I can't get to with the full grown farm tractors.  I found this old guy on C/L, made a deal on it and brought it home tonight.

(This is where I MIGHT get a picture loaded, first time using the software this forum uses, might take a couple tries, bear with me)

20141105_133203.jpg

It had been sitting for a while, the prior owner couldn't get spark.  I was prepared to buy it non-running, but I had some time before work, and he'd been working on it already for a while.  I figured out that the ammeter was shot and no power was getting past it.  Once we bypassed it and used a little air to prime the fuel system, it took off and purred.  Helping get it running might have cost me a few dollars in cash (it was a good price, regardless), but it gave me peace of mind that the motor didn't need a ton of work, and that the transmission was working right.

Anyhow, it needs some minor stuff I'll get around to as I get time (never enough of that), and I'm sure I'll have questions.

It probably won't ever be a show queen, but it's gonna make my life easier cutting firewood, and maybe some other jobs as I get some attachments.  It's a bare tractor at the moment.  I've got a set of tire chains to cut down that should fit it when I'm done, and extra weight is easy to find at work (I work in a metal fab shop).  That should be all it needs for woods duty - might need a little bigger trailer though!  It might go to a garden tractor pull or two next summer, never know.

Feel free to ask if you got any questions, other than "wanna sell it", 'cause that answer is not just no, but H E double hockey sticks no!

If any of you recognize the handle from other forums, say Hi.  I use the same handle everywhere I go.

Steve

Star Prairie, WI  (just a little ways outside of the Twin Cities / Minneapolis-St Paul, MN)

• Like 2

KC9KAS

:WRS:

You will find this forum very friendly, AND very helpful as there is a ton of knowledge within!

You will really like your B-80. I have one with weighted/chained tires and I push snow with it as well as plow the garden.

It is a real......well, work horse!!

I have 9 Wheel Horse's and they are all workers...no show queens in my stable (for now).

• Like 1

Racinbob

Nice introduction Steve. :text-welcomeconfetti: Great tractor to start your addiction.

• Like 1

rmaynard

:WRS:  Glad to have you aboard. Looks like a real nice 1976 or 1977 B-80. One of the best looking model years in my humble opinion, and the toughest transmission of them all. Even though it is almost 40 years old, it should still give you many more years of service. I have a couple 1977 B-100's. Only difference is the engine. Lots of interchangeable parts between the B-60, B-80, B-100, C-120, and C-160. 

As you probably already know, manuals are available for free download from our manuals section. 

Lane Ranger

Welcome to Red Square  Steve!    The B-80 is a great all-around Wheel Horse tractor and can do lots of things.    I love my B-80 . 

post-339-0-40079700-1415275225_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-39393700-1415275651_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-69281700-1415275669_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Geno

Hello Steve and :WRS:   You're gonna love that little tractor!  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Amanda

Welcome to RedSquare!!

Steve NW WI

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

From the 71-08K801 serial number, it looks to be a 77 model, correct?

I got the IPL and wiring diagram downloaded last night, before my wireless internet went haywire.  It seems to be back up now, I'll go back for whatever I missed.  Great resource here!

Thanks to a friend, I got it out of the truck without a hernia - I don't have ramps and I didn't think to use the loader tractor to lift it out (I heard something somewhere once about working smarter, not harder, but I don't know what that means...) 

After testing out the granny low transmission - I suspect my first attachment (once "fun funds" recover) will be a tiller.  I've got a lot of rough spots I'm trying to tame into a decent lawn, and that'd be pretty handy.  I could also quit hooking the 3 bottom plow up for 3 passes every spring for the garden.

I hooked on the little firewood trailer and snapped some more pics.

20141106_102005.jpg

20141106_101951.jpg

20141106_101940.jpg

20141106_101924.jpg

• Like 2

rmaynard

From the 71-08K801 serial number, it looks to be a 77 model, correct?

71-08K801 is the ID of your 1977 tractor. The number that follows it is the serial number, and the four digit number below is the Julian date of manufacture. 

• Like 1

Sparky

Looks like you wasted no time in putting her to work :eusa-clap:  !

Mike.........

• Like 2

Geno

:text-yeahthat:     :text-woo:

• Like 1

Steve NW WI

I'll have some playing in the snow pics tomorrow (OK, later today technically).  The wood pile that should be in the house is covered in about 4" of white stuff.

Steve NW WI

Well, I gotta go dig in the shed for a set of chains. I think I have a truck set that will fit without much modding.

Got this far breaking trail empty

879e10a2d3e091aa9abc0ece22561852.jpg

With a little packing help from it's big red friend, I got around the stack and loaded.

c35a43be6d44ee28374cdc39d502c168.jpg

More weight wasn't enough to get back up the hill though.

11e7e54bc5e90f673efdafbc66ea831c.jpg

• Like 1

Geno

Is that snow from today Steve?

Steve NW WI

Most of it came Saturday night and Sunday.  I got caught flat footed, was out of town on a short but needed vacation, and my plow truck is still torn apart.  It's only about 4", but looking at the forecast, it's not going anywhere any time soon.  North and west of here in east central MN they got over a foot in places.

Geno

It's good you didn't get any more than you did.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Steve NW WI

The truck chains were too wide. A trip to the man's mall and 35 bucks later I'm back in business.

932d2be2c605508c699b1ff6429988d4.jpg

Needs some nose weight for steering though. I think a weight box fab might be in my future...

Geno

She'll dig now.  Looks like all the snow is still on the ground...

Steve NW WI

It ain't going anywhere any time soon.

8f4376e05d60320f99cb50c7d57c0d0a.jpg

Terry M

:text-welcomewave: 2 :rs:

Molon_Labe

Those are great tractors, :WRS:

craigbic

Welcome to RedSquare! I'm new here too.  :WRS:

can whlvr