rick

More taking heed!

rick

After reading Firpo701's thread, I decided to describe my recent experience with modern medical science.

I was at the Doc's for the 6 month visit necessary to get my med scrips renewed (you all know the deal) and after listening to my heart, the nurse asked me if I ever been told that I had an irregular heartbeat. Well, as it turns out, I had atrial flutter, where the upper chambers of the heart beat irregularly. 

I was referred to the cardiologist, who told me he was handing me off to one of the "electricians" on staff. This man was in Maui on vacation, and had to wait a week for him to return. The first cardiologist, a "plumber" was concerned enough to call the Doc on vacation to give him a heads up.

After pre admission testing and copays being paid, I found myself in the Levinson Heart Hospital at the Chippenham campus of Chippenham Johnston Willis Hospitals yesterday, being prepped for a esophageal echocardiogam (to check for clots in the atrial chambers) and a cardiac ablation procedure. The cardiologist uses a catheter to make scar tissue so the bad circuit is broken. All was a success, thank God, and I am home resting for a week.

The only symptom I had was shortness of breath, and inability to carry a heavy load for long. I blamed it on being old, but by ignoring it, I had set myself up for a blood clot in my heart and a stroke or worse. Now I am wondering if the shock I got from an improper wire connection on a strobe power supply (that almost threw me out of the trunk of a police car) had anything to do with the bad circuit in my heart.

As Firpo701 said, DON'T ignore things that don't seem right in your body. They don't always fix themselves!

• Like 3

dcrage

It is pretty amazing what the cardiac "plumbers" and "electricians" (the cardiac electricians are freaking rocket scientists; the stuff they play with and apparently the insurance companies don't argue with them!!) can do when given an early fighting chance -- I have had personal experience with both genres over the last 25 years -- And I am still here; live and kicking because of these interactions -- Glad you got your a-fib fixed up Rick

Edited by dcrage

Geno

Glad you got it soon Rick.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

JimD

Happy to hear you are on the mend.  :)

rmaynard

Not to bore you with my story, but back in 1995 I was involved in a near-drowning incident. The only lasting after effect was atrial fibrillation. After a regimen of medications prescribed by my "electrician" cardio doc, semi-annual treadmill stress tests, and the realization that I had a problem, seven years later, the a-fib was gone. Now, 19 years later, I have lost nearly 50 pounds, walk 4 miles daily, and visit the cardio doc twice a year. Getting a "message" about your mortality can do wonders for getting you to take better care of yourself. Back in February, at age 64, I was cleared to run my first 5K race, and have done two more since. Had I not had the "incident" I probably would have either had a stroke or worse.

Glad everything worked out for you :thumbs:

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

Try to enjoy the break.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

chazm

Rick, glad to hear they found your issues before it was too late :handgestures-thumbupright:....  

After all that I've been threw this past year, all I can say is this... Thank God for modern medicine   :pray:    & thank God for all the people who paid attention in class when they were learning the procedures to patch us mortals up.   :bow-yellow:  

rick

Thanks, guys! I am enjoying my week off, but with a 10# lift limit there isn't a lot to do. Except thank the Lord and docs that worked on me! I removed the dressing over the catheter insertion sites (3) this morning- ouch! Super sticky, looked like saran wrap. Thankful for all the shaving they did now, LOL.

I have taken a walk, and didn't get out of breath like before....the test will be walking with Murphy, our 5 year old 60# rescue Basset Hound! Once we are on the homeward bound lap, he is ready to get home for supper!

Thanks again for the get well wishes!

• Like 1

Geno

Sounds like you're a new(er) man!  :handgestures-thumbsup:

rick

LOL, just like my Wheel Horses- electrical/mechanical resto only!