jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

D-180 Muffler Solution

jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

The D-180 I picked up last year came with undersized non-original mufflers, one of which was falling apart. 

After a fair amount of research and good information from this forum, I selected the FO-11 muffler from Stanley as a replacement.  See Stanley catalog listing below.  Some of the research revealed that shell lengths have been less than accurate.  This can be a problem when trying to fit the muffler into the D-180 front frame.  The actual shell length came in a bit longer than specified, but it just fit. 

I ordered the mufflers from ruralking.com at a little over $15 each and reasonable shipping. 

The inlet was about right for 1" npt pipe.  The outlet was a bit big for 1" npt pipe but with a slot and muffler repair tape I ended up with a good clamped joint. 

I used a 90 degree street elbow at the top which get the muffler as high as possible in the frame.  I also used a 90 degree street elbow to turn the exhaust to avoid burning grass. 

The result was a tight fit and some contact with the front frame.  I am not happy about the frame contact, but the solution is okay for now. 

The after photo was taken before I adjusted the angle of the outlet on the left (when viewing) side. 

Sound level is reduced by about 50% by ear, so a big improvement. 

Regards.

post-12554-0-37843000-1415071764_thumb.j

post-12554-0-69382700-1415071807_thumb.j

post-12554-0-29529000-1415071811_thumb.j

Edited by jdmitchjr@verizon.net

pacer

That looks similar to the mufflers I chose and it was also too long, being as I am retired and have more time than money, I cut about 3" out of each one and re-welded it back. For the bottom outlets I went to the muffler shop and had the guy bend me up some 90°s - I actually had him do me 4 of them and I have already found uses for the other 2.

You're right about the difference in sound -- nice (mine had 2 of the 'biscuit' types on and they were almost like not having anything)

post-9681-0-40532700-1415074053.jpg

ericj

when i replaced the mufflers on my D200 i welded freeze out plugs into the ends and then drilled holes to make them look factory. i think it was 25/32 freeze plug but been to many years to remember for sure

eric j 

GT14

Nice choice, and clean install.

jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

I would have liked to have shortened the shells a bit as Pacer did (his post of the photo of his replacement was my main guide for mine), but I am without a welder and way out of welding practice.  And it was not a big enough or meaningful enough project for my wife to okay a welder....

I am thinking about adding a compressor silencer like the one shown below.  It will be an easy add as I ended with a 1" npt female elbow. 

My sense is that the selected muffler is almost a straight pass through and with one muffler per cylinder not enough out of phase sound waves are setting up, making it not as quiet as I would like.  So restricting the outlet a bit with the silencer might help that, as long as I do not create too much back pressure. 

Any thoughts on that?

Regards.

post-12554-0-99402800-1415125747_thumb.j

DarrellF

I got the mufflers but man they might as well be straight pipe they are loud I got to figure something out to either quite them or replace them any ideas??? The original ones on my other D200 are nice and quite.

Edited by DarrellF

jmack

Did you find a solution Darrel?

Wild Bill 633

FYI, Supertrapp makes diffuser type mufflers. I have been wanting to try one but just have not yet.