Sign in to follow this  
WheelHorse_of_course

First plowing with 854

WheelHorse_of_course

Hey Gang!

Well, between a fairly snowless winter (so far) and traveling most of the months of Nov and December, today was the first plowing of the year.

The Charger is still not operational after the blown engine plowing last Easter. I have the new engine bolted on, and not THAT much work left to do, but since my garage is not heated, and my time has been tight, it is not yet done. I did pick up a snow blower and front hitch, so once she's working I'd like to leave that setup for heavier accumulations.

Last year here is what I had (my first year plowing with a WH):

1969 Charger 12, 36" blade (no angle lever, so changing the angler required getting off. Turf tires with 2-link chains. No weights other than my ~270 lbs. Worked very nicely, though I did learn that unless it's fluff, it really pays to get out there before you get more than 3 inches.

The eventual plan is to have the Charger with the snow blower and the 854 with the plow. Of course I would like to get chains for the 854, but since my wife is out of work there are much higher priorities such as health insurance, mortgage, etc

So, today's plowing was done with the 36" plow, myself as weight, and nothing but the funky "snow-tire" like tires that were stock on the 854 (according to what I have read, these were the first generation of turf tires, but they look a LOT like the old automobile snow tires from the 1960's). I expected these would not be too bad since they are far narrower than the turfs on the Charger.

The first plowing was about an inch. Went back out when there was just over an inch. by the time I finished my route there was over 2".

No real traction problems. I did get "stuck" twice the second time out, but nothing I could not easily rock myself out of.

I will say the Hydro on the Charger is much better for plowing, as I had expected. Add to that the tranny on the 854 has some issues with getting stuck. Still I got the job done nicely.

I have a very short driveway. Most of the plowing is sidewalk. I am on a corner so despite a small lot I have something like 200 feet of sidewalk.

But I also plow 4 neighbors sidewalks and also a section of sidewalk next to the city park, so it is probably more like 200 YARDS total. Plus me neighbors driveway that is about 80 feet.

Typically takes about 2 hours and today was no exception, indicating the 854 is roughly as efficient as the Charger.

So, I am quite pleased with the performance of the 854. I suspect I would be in big trouble if I get over 3" though. We have a winter storm warning through 7 PM tomorrow night. This is lake effect so it will come in waves, but I will definitely have to keep up with it (or go get some chains).

Yoo hoo, winter horse season has started! :D

Rollerman

How did the 854 do " insert name here"?

Been busy here today...about a foot so far & real wet heavy stuff.

C125 auto does great for me except when the drive belt gets wet.

combatmp29r

We've only gotten teased here so far today. We got about 1/2" just after noon which of course got the kids worked up. then the wind picked up and blew it all toward Terry (PA}. We'll see what the night brings. The Commando is ready for it, but that just means it wont come.1969CommandoV8wplow2.jpg

nylyon

You're gonna love using the blower. All last year I used a 48" plow on the front of my 414 with AG tires and no chains. It worked good, but this year I have a 42" blower sitting in front of my 416-H with turf tires and 2-link chains. Now that is a sweet setup for getting snow out of the way! Love the hydro with the blower.

Curmudgeon

You messed with 2" of snow??????????

Isn't worth firing the tractor up for less than 6"!!!! Sometimes more if it comes straight down, no drifts.

Dale, 2" :D

Rollerman

Never got the snow blower out today here.

I don't think it works the best in the heavy wet snow we currently have here.

Gon switch the blower off the C160 with manual lift to the 416 in my avatar with the hyd lift....be a bit more manageable :D

"Wheel Horse_of_Course" I actually prefer the skinny tires for plowing.

I have a set of the 22" turfs that are common on the B series I bought used with some kind of rubber filling.

There not solid...still pliable & are around 100 pounds apeice...that & the 2 link chains I get a lot of traction!

The only negative I have is pushing snow up piles...as the blade & fron tof the tractor climb...the back tires dig into & don't stay on top.

Buzz

C125 auto does great for me except when the drive belt gets wet.

That's one of the problems I have on my 856 with plow. Here in southern New Jersey most of our snows are the wet, slushy kind. Sometimes we'll get about 8" of snow then it warms up enough to turn to sleet or freezing rain That packs the 8'' of snow down to about 4" of slush. The freezing rain usually hits the tractor and melts, runs down behind the belt guard and soaks the belt. Or else it splashes up from the puddles that form. Before you know it, the belt starts slipping. We have to plow it before it freezes again, or you have one thick slab of ice. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions on how to keep the drive belt dry :D

TT

I brought the 416H out of hibernation about two weeks ago to clean the end of the driveway where the township likes to "windrow" the end shut. I also did in front of the mailbox and most of the neighbor's small paved driveway. I scratched across our driveway a few places, but most of it was going out in to the yard, so I quit.

Yesterday I got it out again to dress up the end of the driveway and the mailbox, but mainly just to go for a ride. :D

You see, the ground here has never actually frozen, so every time those rear tires slip just a little, I know I'll have to deal with grass repair in the spring.

We got a dusting today and I used the barn broom to sweep around the vehicles. They're both four wheel drive, so I'd rather just drive over it!

WheelHorse_of_course

Well, after I went to bed we got another 5 inches or so, plus some drifting and stuff thrown up on the sidewalk by the city. So I had a much better test.

This required "pushing" versus "plowing". Meaning that there was too much snow to flow to the side, so a more criss-cross method was required as compared to simply angling the plow and going (with an occasional push to the side)

The 854 sans chains gets better traction on snow than the Charger with chains. Last year with the Charger I experimented pushing with the plow up and found this approach worthless. With the narrow "snow tires" traction on snow is better than the traction on icy pavement.

With the Charger the opposite is true. Traction in snow is pretty bad, but traction on mostly bare pavement is good.

So, by using a different approach "Mr Ed" (the 854) did exceptionally well.

However I do need to solve the shift linkage problem. With all the back and forth shifting it is getting to be more of a pain. It was really bad when I got it, and 5 found the bolt that acts as the shifter pivot was badly worn. I made a replacement and that improved it. I have also leaned how to baby it and also, in most cases, how to unjam it without removing the shifter.

I just ordered the factory part from Jack's and we'll see if that helps. Still the same part number since 1964 with no cross reference! If this does not help I'll be starting a tranny thread.

Rollerman

Thats the set screw part#1239 "for my 416-8"

Pretty common for them to become worn & allow enough slop for the trans to jam up.

A few years back I got pretty good fixing that when my son was plowing on a 653...he'd push some & get it jammed...even with a new set screw & shifter :D

Buzz the belt is really only an issue for me when I push snow up on top of a pile & stick the trans in the snow.

I may try some belt dressing...or maybe a new belt too?

muka

I PLOW MY DRIVEWAY WITH MY 1960 SUBURBAN 400 MY DAD GOT THIS OUT OF THE WOODS 20 YEARS AGO. NEVER HAD HOOD OR FUEL TANK GOT IT FROM HIM 5 YEARS AGO BEEN PLOWING WITH IT SENSE THEN DOES A GOOD JOB MY DRIVEWAY IS 70 FEET LONG AND 20 FEET WIDE NOTHING PULLS OR PUSHES LIKE A HORSE. THATS MY LITTLE HELPER KEVIN 3RD

Attached Image

post-4-1199924651.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

Muka,

I always wondered how well the Suburbans did plowing snow.

Tickster,

Yep, that's the part number. When I bought the 854 it jammed quite a bit and was very loose. The set screw in the unit was worn to a tiny point. I made a set screw by grinding down the end of a bolt, and it was still fairly loose but jammed less.

Yes, I am now pretty good at jamming it 95% of the time. However every so often it gets stuck in a different way and requires removing the shift stick to get it unjammed.

Got the new set screw today and boy did it make a difference. Nice and "tight". We will see if the jamming reduced further.

Cheers

Rollerman

Sometimes the ball at the end of the shifter itself can get pretty worn out too.

If the set screw does not cure it you might want to look around for a new shift lever.

CasualObserver

Hey Kevin... I use a Suburban 400 too! check out this older thread for some pics

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/viewtopic.php?=405

T-Mo

Muka,

Nice tractor. It looks like your son knows how to handle that thing. :D