jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

D-180 axle and axle pivot

jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

With excellent information and support from the forum, I rebuilt the steering box and column.  That went fairly well but for getting it in and out without pulling the hydro system.

Yesterday I replaced the thrust bearings and washers on the spindles.  On side was not very good shape and the bearings were not rolling but the parts were intact.  The other side the bearings and one of the washers were broken.  With new bearings, washers and fresh grease, that seems pretty good. 

While inspecting things under the tractor, I noticed a substantial amount of play in the axle a the axle pivot.  I suspect that the axle pivot is worn and maybe even the hole in the axle as well.  I suspect that this is the source of some of the remaining play in the steering. 

The bolts holding the pivot pin in place do not look exactly like the manual drawing, do not look quite right, and are both loose.  I think someone might have worked on this part before.

Any thoughts, comments, information, advice on the axle pivot system?

Anyone know of a source for the pivot pin?

Any one know the dimensions on the pivot pin for making one from scratch?

Has anyone put in a larger pivot pin to take up the wear on the hole through the axle?

Thanks very much.

Regards.